1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
5,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Honda won't follow to NASCAR

BRANT JAMES, St. Petersburg Times
Published March 13, 2006

HOMESTEAD -- Honda's and Toyota's racing programs have seemingly followed each other from series to series and battled, sometimes at the expense of that series, for supremacy in trophies, technology and car sales.

But now Toyota is out of the Indy Racing League, established in the NASCAR Truck series and set to debut in Nextel Cup next year. And Robert Clarke, the president of Honda Performance Development, said his company is content where it is, as the lone engine supplier for the IRL.

NASCAR, he said, is not a consideration.

"Will we follow Toyota to NASCAR? I never say never. I've learned that in this business," he said during a national teleconference.

"But we have no immediate or near-term plans to get into (NASCAR). We are quite occupied with our activity in the IRL and (have) no plans for NASCAR."

NASCAR vice president of competition Robin Pemberton said when Toyota announced its Nextel Cup intentions in January that unnamed foreign-based manufacturers had visited races but "I don't know of any other that have made official inquiries."

Honda and Toyota are often lumped together as the embodiment of powerful foreign manufacturers, but their approaches are markedly different. Toyota, as the saying goes, is a car-selling company that races; Honda a racing company that sells cars.

So Toyota's involvement in NASCAR is intended to increase brand identity and move merchandise.

Honda's commitment to open-wheel racing allows it to hone the kind of in-car technology forbidden in NASCAR's old-school carbureted engines.
Guess that puts the rumors to rest.

·
Registered
593 Posts
I'm kinda glad. This way they can put the money into something else instead. I don't think nascar will be helping toyota much (stress MUCH) and I dounb it would help honda much either. I am hoping we can get some better seperate research & developement teams between acura and honda :)

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
yes i agree that honda nexts to step out of the v6 realm. but i'm soo happy to hear they aren't going to nascar. honestly, i think nascar is more boring than golf. i dont understand how people can sit in a room and watch cars go round and round and round. only thing that would EVER make me watch that shit are the crashes. they are quite interesting seeing as how they're at 180+mph all the time.

toyota should stay out of nascar. i see that as an american auto sport. my 14 cents

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
I think that would be participating in too many major national motorsports even if they did. Remember Toyota left the IRL to concentrate on NASCAR. Honda being a not as rich company would be squandering money if they did. I wouldn't want them to leave open wheeled cars altogether. Which makes me wonder, who is gonna power the IRL if Honda leaves? Theres no benefit for it to say Illmor Engineering on the side of the cars. And CCWS owns Cosworth already. Honda should stick to what they have right now, and hopefully success in F1 means will make up for it. But I wouldn't mind if they came into the Atlantic series though, wouldn't it be neat if those cars had stock S2000 engines?

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
hobie237 said:
Well, I'm kinda bummed because NASCAR would give them RWD/V8 development time, which IMO is something they could really use and apply well to real world stuff (NSX or RL)

Do you know what Formula One is ? :p

·
Registered
5,438 Posts
S2kpr said:
Do you know what Formula One is ? :p

The F1 motor development motors, 3.0 V10 and I know its changed but I forget what it is now, 2.5L V8? Would be applicable to something like the NSX, but not so much to a luxury car, or really anything else, in the real world. NASCAR would, IMO, give them better real-world motor development for volume cars.

·
Registered
9,883 Posts
hobie237 said:
The F1 motor development motors, 3.0 V10 and I know its changed but I forget what it is now, 2.5L V8? Would be applicable to something like the NSX, but not so much to a luxury car, or really anything else, in the real world. NASCAR would, IMO, give them better real-world motor development for volume cars.
F1 uses the V8 motor now. though it doesnt change much, the V8 engine produces almost the same HP and speed as the V10...haha.

add this to the rumor mill:
Honda ,supplying the IRL engine, might be merged with Champ car in 2007. Champ car uses a turbo V8 engine while the IRL uses N/A V8. if the merger does occure, the new series would probably use the trubo V8 spec.

·
Registered
5,438 Posts
divinewisdom said:
F1 uses the V8 motor now. though it doesnt change much, the V8 engine produces almost the same HP and speed as the V10...haha.

add this to the rumor mill:
Honda ,supplying the IRL engine, might be merged with Champ car in 2007. Champ car uses a turbo V8 engine while the IRL uses N/A V8. if the merger does occure, the new series would probably use the trubo V8 spec.

But those V8s are very different from NASCAR V8s and real world V8s. NASCAR is much closer to the real world.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
divinewisdom said:
yea if you want a V8 truck. haha
Honda is not even considering a heavy truck anyway.
the F1 V8 and V10 can fit nicely in the NSX and detuned for the RL.
That´s what im talking about. I would preffer an engine that is developed on formula one than a nascar engine any day of the week.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Honda with a push rod motor? Yeah....right. Look what BMW did with the new M5 and its F1-derived V10. But thank god it didn't keep the displacement and added some stroke to that thing.

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
I think everyone with the exception of kilia2k is missing the point of having a v8 in a luxury car, truck, or even production sports car...

low-end Torque.

A 2.5L 10,000 + RPM v8 is not going to have much more low end torque than the 3.5L v6 currently residing in the RL,MDX, Pilot, and Ridgline.

·
Registered
5,438 Posts
Peteex said:
I think where missing the point of having a v8 in a luxury car, truck, or even production sports car...

low-end Torque.

A 2.5L 10,000 + RPM v8 is not going to have much more low end torque than the 3.5L v6 currently residing in the RL,MDX, Pilot, and Ridgline.

Actually, F1 motors are up in the 20,000+ rpm range...

But yes, thats the point I'm trying to make-F1 development is good for sports cars, supercars, etc, but not any high-volume cars.

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
thank god... no NASCRAP for honda.... why need V8 when in 10-20 years were not so sure we still can drive one or afford to drive car with V8 engine. look at lexus their V8 replacement are V6 with electric engine called hybrid. hey V8 numbers with better fuel mileage. even other LUX car companies admited that fuel economy is important in their FUTURE models.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.