Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
I'm interested in this too. However more interested in Hondata vs "chipped" p28, the p28 is programmable like hondata right? Just less fuel maps... right?

Logic would say that the AEM EMS has even more customizability. As in even more fuel maps

Or like Vin Diesel would say "... and a direct port fuel management system (something like that)... not a bad way to spend 10,000 dollars *crowd goes wild*"

·
Premium Member
18,247 Posts
what kind of engine do you have and what do you plan to do with it?

one is a piggy back, the other is a stand alone (along with the apexi power fc, etc).

the hondata will suit you fine with the right person + dyno time (bang for the buck per se)..

unless yer full of moola and go autronic haha

·
Registered
8,144 Posts
IntegraXTR said:
one is a piggy back, the other is a stand alone (along with the apexi power fc, etc).
No, they are both standalone.

The AEM has a couple extra bells n whistles over the Hondata, but (overwhelmingly large) chances are you won't need them. The Hondata on the other hand has some features that I'm pretty sure the AEM EMS doesn't have that are actually useful - A/C cutout, full-throttle shift, and shift light. The AEM system is more expensive, more complex, and far less reliable than Hondata... I have a buddy who blew his engine completely at the fault of his AEM EMS, then just months later the second AEM EMS crapped out on him and his car wouldn't start.

...Whereas some of the very fastest Hondas, including THE fastest all-motor Honda, use Hondata. I'm thinking if it's good enough for them, it's probably good enough for you and me. With the AEM costing roughly twice as much as Hondata, it's one of the easiest decisions you'll ever make.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Hondata s200 = OBD1 ecu, such as the P28, CHIPPED, so that fuel maps, timing maps, boost options can be modified. For the most parts, all of the data is still on the ECU, such as error codes, warm up maps, what have you.
Requires a OBD 1 ecu though.

AEM EMS = an ECU that is raw. It's designed to read and operate sensors according to it's own programming. The AEM EMS is a step up from the majority of the stand alone fuel management systems out there in the sense that AEM makes each model EMS specific to the harness systems of the cars it goes in. IE: the 30-1050 will plug straight up into a 99-00 Civic, 00-01 Integra just like the stock ECU would. From there, base maps for fuel and timing maps need to be uploaded, then tuned. The EMS will allow you to modify just about anything you want on the car and has the potential to make everything operate as if it were designed to be operated on the car from the factory. For instance...you can use a GM Boost solenoid and design a map on the EMS to control boost based upon RPM, or throttle modulation without the need for another Boost Controller system. The system is expensive however and very time consuming to tune as it is a newer system than the Hondata. They do offer online technical support and free software updates, which seems to occure every several months. That is both beneficial and hindering though. The jump from version .89 to 1.03 was soooo significant that most of the software layout was modified.

Unless one was going with some CRAZY ASS build up that required a very sophisticated fuel mangement sytem, I would suggest going with a Hondata rather than the EMS. It is more affordable and more user friendly for those hobbiests.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
female four said:
Next time search because I can tell you right now that I could find a bunch more similar topics in the ECU forum.
But searching prevents post whoring, so I'll never get my carbon fiber sword status.

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
ABCsR2EZ4Me said:
I'm interested in this too. However more interested in Hondata vs "chipped" p28, the p28 is programmable like hondata right? Just less fuel maps... right?

Logic would say that the AEM EMS has even more customizability. As in even more fuel maps

Or like Vin Diesel would say "... and a direct port fuel management system (something like that)... not a bad way to spend 10,000 dollars *crowd goes wild*"
a p28 is an ecu from a civic. It is not programable. You can run a management system like uberdata on an obd1 p28 that will make it programmable.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts