Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i drive a 1995 4 dr Honda Accord LX...i am getting horrible mpg...i am getting about 14-15 mpg...something is horribly wrong...can anyone help me? i hab 68k on it...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
392 Posts
has the car been properly maintained??? Oil change regularly, filters, spark plugs, wires, etc.??? if they havent been changed in a while it might be the reason y u r getting horrible MPG.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well...i noe the oil has been changed regularly...but I was just handed down this car recently so i dont noe if the filters have been changed...and iono how to check the spark plugs and stuff..the thing is...i tried to open my filter box...but for some reason one of the screws seem to be rusted on...is there a way i can open it? i tried using tweezers...screwdrivers...nothing can open it...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
392 Posts
your best bet is taking it to a shop so they can check for everything that you need all at once...for the spark plugs and stuff some mechanics know how old they might be by just looking at them, so your best bet on improving your mpg is taking ur ride to a mechanic and getting a diagnostic on what you really need.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
936 Posts
Most likely a shop will rip him off. You are from NY just like me, you should know about car repair shops and how they operate lol. I've had a mechanic look me in my eye and say it will cost 30 dollars in parts to change the oil in my CB7, but since he likes me soo much, he said he wont charge me for labor. :bh :bh :bh
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,618 Posts
is ur foot on the gas, im getting not soo good milage too..like 300 highway...

im guessing my o2 sensor is old?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
392 Posts
i97supratti said:
Most likely a shop will rip him off. You are from NY just like me, you should know about car repair shops and how they operate lol. I've had a mechanic look me in my eye and say it will cost 30 dollars in parts to change the oil in my CB7, but since he likes me soo much, he said he wont charge me for labor. :bh :bh :bh

$30 for an oil change???Well that is a ripoff...I paid $34 for my last oil change but that inclueded an Air Filter as well and a wash, so if you are paying $30 you are getting ripped off.

cctgc: But like i said before take it to a shop but before they do anything to your car, just get an estimate of how much it would cost to give change all plugs, wires, rotor, cap, oil, filters...and then decide if you are able to spend the money they are asking for...you can also give them the option of buying all the parts yourself at the dealer and then taking it in to a shop for them to place it, but you wont know what you need until they diagnose your car.

I also have a rule of thumb that I like to follow everytime I acquire a vehicle...also change everthing youself, meaning replace everything you know gets wear and tear, since you might not know when was the last time it was changed. This gives me comfort that the car will not act up in the near future, and also this just reduces how much i have to pay in parts replacement and mechanic costs, so I would say get everything checked out and replaced that needs to be replaced at one time, not little by little...LIke this you save some money in the long run.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
772 Posts
i had similar problem on my 94 civic si. it even failed emission test here in washington. i bought original honda spark plug wires, distributor cap, and rotor. i got some bosch spark plugs from schucks. it cost me about 130 dollars but it should be cheaper for an accord than a SI. After that it ran AWESOME until it got wrecked.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,479 Posts
If it hasn't had a tune up, then I would look to replace the plug wires, plugs, cap, & rotor. Check the air filter to make sure it is in good condition. If your poor mpg persists, it could either be your O2 sensors or thermostat. Does it take a long time for your heater to kick in? If so the thermostat is your problem.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
392 Posts
spray004 said:
If it hasn't had a tune up, then I would look to replace the plug wires, plugs, cap, & rotor. Check the air filter to make sure it is in good condition. If your poor mpg persists, it could either be your O2 sensors or thermostat. Does it take a long time for your heater to kick in? If so the thermostat is your problem.
How can a bad thermostat cause bad mpg??? I dont think one has to do with the other.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
my heater comes on faster when i force my engine...like go up a REALLY steep hill...or if i push it really hard...so iono...130 dollars...wow...i live in los angeles in the diamond bar/walnut area...anyone noe any good places?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,479 Posts
02AccordBigBoi said:
How can a bad thermostat cause bad mpg??? I dont think one has to do with the other.

A cold engine doesnt allow fuel to atomize proper with the incoming air. The fuel will settle (puddle in some cases) and not properly burn in the combustion chamber. The mixture is not properly distributed throughout the combustion chamber
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,479 Posts
cctgc said:
my heater comes on faster when i force my engine...like go up a REALLY steep hill...or if i push it really hard...so iono...130 dollars...wow...i live in los angeles in the diamond bar/walnut area...anyone noe any good places?
Every engine will heat up or run hotter when you put heavier loads on it. If you have any mechanical ability at all, you should be able to do a basic tune up on your own. Plugs, plug wires, cap & rotor are all super easy to do.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,618 Posts
good coolant is a plus and a good radiator cap, caps only last about 2 years..and it makes a difference of like 50 degrees depending on the pressure of the cap.

but if you got a bad thermo then replace it hehhe.
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top