Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
2,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to order an AEM c/a/i for my LX w/ bypass valve.

I was going to just install the bypass valve where the 2 pipes joined. But, I heard that it needs to be as close to the joining of the engine as possible.

Has anyone ever cut the piping on an AEM c/a/i to install the bypass valve?
Is it hard to do? What did you use? How about getting the burrs off, how? How close to the engine did you install the valve?

Thanks!!

· Registered
1,688 Posts
You dont really need the by pass valve....unless somehow you gonna get stuck in 20" water and your filter will be completely submerged....it only works on such occurences...other than that, regular rain splatters will still get sucked into your engine as mist....you should be okay cuz you don't got a kit that has an air dam to draw in water....u just need to worry about running over puddles of water....as for the installation....if you have a one piece CAI you have to cut the center of it..fit it in and seal it off...

· Registered
2,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Murdah One said:
You dont really need the by pass valve....unless somehow you gonna get stuck in 20" water and your filter will be completely submerged....it only works on such occurences...other than that, regular rain splatters will still get sucked into your engine as mist....you should be okay cuz you don't got a kit that has an air dam to draw in water....u just need to worry about running over puddles of water....as for the installation....if you have a one piece CAI you have to cut the center of it..fit it in and seal it off...
I'd rather play it safe then sorry so I got the bypass.
What do you mean by seal it off? With silicone? I thought the bypass valve has rubber where it goes over the piping that would secure the 2 pieces together :confused:
This is jsut from looking at the pics. I've never seen one in person :p

· Registered
1,688 Posts
LX98Civic said:

I'd rather play it safe then sorry so I got the bypass.
What do you mean by seal it off? With silicone? I thought the bypass valve has rubber where it goes over the piping that would secure the 2 pieces together :confused:
This is jsut from looking at the pics. I've never seen one in person :p
yeah that's what i meant..use the two rubber pieces and attach the two sides together...you may wanna clamp it down...my friend's Si fell apart when he didn't clamp it tight enough and it was sucking the dirty air inside the engine w/o a filter...:eek:

· Registered
271 Posts
my sir our aem's are split in the middle with a rubber sleeve, so llluckily for us all we do is pop that bad boy inbeetween and clamp it down. also dont put any sealeant or whatever hes talking about on it itll be fine if you tighten it down. plus this cut is about halfway down toward the fender in the perfect place your supposed tohave it

· Registered
83 Posts
Dude, its easy.. you put the long piece and clamp it to the manifold.. then at the other end.. clamp the bypass valve on, then put the other piece of tube, clamp it into the bypass valve, then the filter on the end... the filter should be sitting behind the front bumper, and in fornt of the passenger wheel...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.