Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I think this only applies to OBD-II people.

OBD-II cars have a mass air sensor (or maybe its on OBD-I too). It goes before the throttle body normally on the charge pipe. However, with the installation of the turbo charge pipe. I just kinda left mine hanging in the engine bay.

What did you guys do with it?

·
Registered
896 Posts
maybe you could get some wire and extend it to the intake pipe for the turbo, my car is OBD1, so im just rambling...

·
Registered
125 Posts
Hondas are speed density, they have a MAP sensor not a mass air sensor... You must be talking about the air temp sensor.

leave it hanging or extend the wire to reach the turbo inlet.

jason

·
Registered
273 Posts
if your talkin about the air temp sensor (the little plug lookin sensor thing) i jus punched a whole in the rubber rubber cuplink that connects the charge pipe to the throttle body and jus shoved it in there..hope this answers your question..

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
my friend whos a mechanic told me that that sensor can't see boost so i wouldn't be able to keep it on the charge pipe. so what i did was on the tube that has the filter (pre-turbo) i tapped a hole and secured it on that tube. if u take out the wires from its loom it can extend all the way to the front of the motor where the air filter pipe is.

u can't really see it in this pic but if u look by my bov, to the right a bit and under the wires by the dist cap. thats where i tapped it.

laters!

·
Registered
9 Posts
If you are talking about the air temp sensor which is in the location you described, I drilled a hole in the charge pipe right before the TB where it was on the stock intake tube. Then got a PCV valve to use as an 'air tight' grommet to shove it into. Keeping it closer to the TB is probably going to give you the most acurate reading for your intake air temp - not to mention you can leave the sensor where it is!

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, air temp, which is the same as a Mass air I thought, Mass air detects the air density fluctuation caused by temperature. Well, anyway, air temp sensor is what I mean, not the MAP sensor.

Ok, I thought about placing it before the turbo injet, but that will give you an inaccurate reading because the intercooler actually cools the air down so the temperature will not be correct.

But if I place it on the charge pipe in the rubber fitting holding the charge pipe to the TB like NYCE described, wouldn't it just pop out when under high pressure? How did you guys secure the thing so it doesn't pop out? What's the harm in leaving it just hanging the engine bay? I know the temperature is wrong, but does it actually give the ECU any problems?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I can't speak to any problems leaving the sensor hanging in the breeze, but I will say that if you want an acurate air temp (which ought to impact your car's air/fuel mixture calculations) you should connect it and make it as air tight as possible so no boost leaks out - I found a PCV valve grommet that was a hair larger than the sensor, but made the hole in my pipe a hair smaller than the grommet. I could just wedge the sensor in place and I'm sure it's got a good seal - It hasn't come out yet! A grommet will give you a thicker sealing surface, whereas the pipe connector is only an 1/8" or so...

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Crimson490 said:
I can't speak to any problems leaving the sensor hanging in the breeze, but I will say that if you want an acurate air temp (which ought to impact your car's air/fuel mixture calculations) you should connect it and make it as air tight as possible so no boost leaks out - I found a PCV valve grommet that was a hair larger than the sensor, but made the hole in my pipe a hair smaller than the grommet. I could just wedge the sensor in place and I'm sure it's got a good seal - It hasn't come out yet! A grommet will give you a thicker sealing surface, whereas the pipe connector is only an 1/8" or so...

Hope this helps.
What kind of pressure are you pushing?

·
Registered
624 Posts
just place it on the intake section of the turbo vice the charged pipe. that is where i put mine. i drilled a hole and placed a 5 cent grommet and works just fine. the way i look at it, the manifold will be under boost anyway so regardless of what it reads, air and fuel calculations will not matter. the gadgetry that comes with the turbo kit OR fuel enrichment system will compensate for that mis-calculation. IMO

1 - 11 of 11 Posts