Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a used 5th gen prelude from a friend. Today I noticed that the two front tires are kinda bald and ther rear are still very good. I thought no problem I will just go to the tire shop and buy another pair of the same tires.

Well there is a problem, Dunlop no longer makes the FM901 and whatever left over stock that the shop have, that is all that they have. No shop around here have the size that I need. I checked many online tire retailers and none of them have them listed in stock. The size that I need is 205/50/16.

Since I spent all of my money buying the car, I don't have much to buy a full set of GOOD tires. Also I don't want to throw away the tires that I have in the rear because like I said, they have lots of thread life left over.

So how bad is it to mix tires? Since the car is FWD, is it okae if I keep the two front the same thread and the two rear the same thread? I don't race the car, I use it as a daily driver, mainly to work which is just a few block away. But every other week I drive to the bay area, about 100 miles away.

Would it be ok if I just get two good tires for about $100 each, or should I replace all 4 with some really cheap tires like kumho?

·
Registered
8 Posts
i think as long as the front tires are the same. not all tires are the same even if they have the same size, they have different weights, and a lot of other sh*t.

all i know is that you can't run stag. set up w/ awd, so i guess that theory applies here as well

·
Registered
11,248 Posts
Mixing tires is a bad idea.

Think about it like this. Would you put a running shoe on one foot, and a sunday dress shoe on the other and go for a jog?

If you mix, then you need to keep all tires similar. if dunlop discontinued that tire, then they most likely have a replacement that is in the same class.

If you decide to get 2 completely different tires, then you need to replace the rears with the same tire asap.

No matter what, you need to keep the same condition matching tires on the front.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mixing tires is a bad idea.

Think about it like this. Would you put a running shoe on one foot, and a sunday dress shoe on the other and go for a jog?

If you mix, then you need to keep all tires similar. if dunlop discontinued that tire, then they most likely have a replacement that is in the same class.

If you decide to get 2 completely different tires, then you need to replace the rears with the same tire asap.

No matter what, you need to keep the same condition matching tires on the front.
Your analogy of the running shoes does not make sense. So if you put on dress shoe on both sides it is fine to go jogging?
jk
But I understand what you are saying.
Dunlop discontinued the FM901 and they replaced it with the SP MAX. The thread design is a little bit different compared to the FM901. I emailed dunlop about this to see if they can find me a pair of the FM901 in the size that I want. For the mean time, I will just roate the tires and put the good on to the front.

I am not really a big fan of these tires. But the fact that I don't have $400 to replace all four wheels, I need to make with what I have. They are pretty loud and the wet grip is pretty lame. I am not the only one that said this. My wife's(gf at the time) dad had an 99 M3 with those tires. He said it was the loudest tires that he ever had and did not like the traction in the rain. After 3 month he replaced with with some Michelin tires.

·
Registered
17,396 Posts
it'll be different for what kind of event you are entering and what type of car you have[FR or FF or RR] and as far as my FR car goes as S14:FR car layout goes, mixed up tires are fine, as long as they match from front two are same and two rears are same. but that's from my experience as drifting track experience. but at all times, you should matching tires.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
mixing is bad like stated

if you use different widths thats fine which many ppl do but other than that its not reccommended

for safety reasons (screws up the whole alignment setup, among other things)

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't do any racing, drifting or anything crazy like that. When I said mix tires, I mean mixing brand or having different thread design. Of course the size is still the same. As I stated before the tires that I need, they no longer make.

·
Registered
10,923 Posts
Unless you're seriously "pushing" the car, I don't see it.
As a poor teenager, my Cutlass 350 S had different tires
on all four corners. :D And that's a heavy car.
EDIT: RETREADS, no less! :lol

·
Registered
6,555 Posts
Put the tires with better tread in the front and the worn out ones in the back.
That should hold you over until you save money for a set of 4 new tires.

·
Registered
58 Posts
If you do mix tires, make sure all the tire speed ratings match. Having a crappier speed rating in the rear will make the rear feel squishy and soft and thus can change the entire feel of the car. Also, try to match the tread design up as best as possible. For a DD front wheel drive car, mixing tires isnt a big deal. AWD cars are a different story...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts