Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can smell rather foul exhaust when I sit at stop lights and when I had the car up on stands the exhaust manifold was very, very nasty, all rusted at all. How hard is the removal? I've found a donor.... Will an 85 CRX's exhaust manifold bolt right up?

Thanks.

· Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cool! Thanks for the info. Unfortunately they won't let me take a catalytic converter out of the junk yard.... grrrr.... Any reccomendations on a good, cheap cat? The factory cat on a CRX bolts directly to the exhaust manifold, right?

· Registered
65 Posts
I'd look for something from CatCo. I got one for my Toyota at Summit Racing and they have web catalog. Here's a tip-- if you see a cat referred to as a "universal", you just need to take your car to an exhaust shop and have them cut the flanges off your stock cat and weld them on the replacement.

You may get flames regarding CatCo being no good b/c it's not $250 like a Random Technology unit. "It'll rust out in a year" and "It doesn't flow well". I'll add my 2 cents up front. I passed emissions (like the car wasn't even running) on a shiny 4-yr-old CatCo on my way to putting down 294 rear wheel horsepower with a turbo 3-liter car. Maybe I just got "lucky". -scott

· Registered
645 Posts
i'm 90% sure that the smell is comin from the cat. why would you want a used cat anyway? it might even be just as bad. a new one should go for a pretty good price here on the net. no one pays retail anymore for things like this unless your an idiot or just have money and don't care.

if it were me, i'd gut the one you got or just get a new one, or maybe even a test pipe.

and btw, no engine needs a cat to run. but you will need one to pass emissions. if ur as lucky as i am and don't have to worry about emissions, i would go with a test pipe. it's probably cheaper.

· Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, makes sense.... So how long of a job is exhaust manifold removal on a CRX? I've done it before on Jeeps and whatnot where you can clearly get to everything. Is there anything wierd that I need to be aware of? Anything rediculous like the planets have to be lined up a certain way for the darn thing to come out?

Thanks, Ron

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.