Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got this problem, I bottomed out and a bump hit the transmission while driving and blew open a fist size hole in the Transmission casing....:mad: .... it drives fine but there is a big a$$ hole on the caseing for the transmission. How would I got about fixing it, I was figuring getting another metal plate put over the hole and proceed to either weld/glue it on :um:. Any and all info would be greatly appreciated.

P.S.
I am trying to avoid changing over the case because I got enough bills on my table as it is already :cry:.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
786 Posts
Ummm...is there oil everywhere, or did it crack a hole in the casing between the motor where the clutch sits??

For one, if there is a hole in the housing where th fluid is, it may run fine now but, it won't for long, and if something say a rock or other debris finds it's way in you're in deep...you know.

As far as fixing it, I wouldn't risk any type of glue, including JB Weld, you could weld it but, most shops would require you to take it out of the car, they don't like to weld on car parts covered in oil.

But, welding it up would be fine, just find someone who'll try, I won't guarantee your car wont start on fire because it is a possibility...Good luck
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,101 Posts
eghybrid said:
Ummm...is there oil everywhere, or did it crack a hole in the casing between the motor where the clutch sits??

For one, if there is a hole in the housing where th fluid is, it may run fine now but, it won't for long, and if something say a rock or other debris finds it's way in you're in deep...you know.

As far as fixing it, I wouldn't risk any type of glue, including JB Weld, you could weld it but, most shops would require you to take it out of the car, they don't like to weld on car parts covered in oil.

But, welding it up would be fine, just find someone who'll try, I won't guarantee your car wont start on fire because it is a possibility...Good luck

why is there a possibility the car would start on fire? and it would have to be TIG welded, being that the case is made out of aluminum
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
786 Posts
temp03 said:
why is there a possibility the car would start on fire? and it would have to be TIG welded, being that the case is made out of aluminum
Extreme heat and petroleum based lubricants don't mix.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,101 Posts
eghybrid said:
Extreme heat and petroleum based lubricants don't mix.

my car didn't explode when they welded my exhaust......:um:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
786 Posts
temp03 said:
my car didn't explode when they welded my exhaust......:um:
Well...LOL...the exhaust shouldn't be covered in oil but, my friends oil pan spontaneously combusted when I welded on it for his oil return...I should have wiped it out first but I was in a hurry, good thing I didn't leave it on the car.:)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,101 Posts
eghybrid said:
Well...LOL...the exhaust shouldn't be covered in oil but, my friends oil pan spontaneously combusted when I welded on it for his oil return...I should have wiped it out first but I was in a hurry, good thing I didn't leave it on the car.:)

well i would not call that spontaneous combustion, i think that the chances of it igniting are slim because the shop should take the proper precautions
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
786 Posts
I still wanna know where, how, what happened to actually crack a hole in the case...OUCH! I've bottomed out pretty good a few times on some crappy roads but, never that bad.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
786 Posts
temp03 said:
well i would not call that spontaneous combustion, i think that the chances of it igniting are slim because the shop should take the proper precautions
Yes slim but, that's why I said most shops probaby wouldn't do unless it wa sout of the car...besides I don't wanna tell him everything will be OK, when there is always a chance. I 'd fell pretty bad if something like that happened.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,101 Posts
eghybrid said:
Yes slim but, that's why I said most shops probaby wouldn't do unless it wa sout of the car...besides I don't wanna tell him everything will be OK, when there is always a chance. I 'd fell pretty bad if something like that happened.

i would laugh......but thats just me
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
786 Posts
temp03 said:
i would laugh......but thats just me
i'm sure you would...hey ever used traction bars on a CRX or seen someone use them?? My friend and I are thinking about getting them for his Rex...the Jimfab.com brand...he has serious wheelhop with the turbo.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,101 Posts
eghybrid said:
i'm sure you would...hey ever used traction bars on a CRX or seen someone use them?? My friend and I are thinking about getting them for his Rex...the Jimfab.com brand...he has serious wheelhop with the turbo.

i would not go w/ jimfab at all....here is a pic of a jimfab x-member on a crx, the pic speaks for itself




i would go w/ z10 or get the A-sports radius rods
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
786 Posts
OMG...that's the HUGEST pic ever. I'm suprised they hang down that far, wierd. I was looking at Z10 at first but, somebody I don't remember who told me that the Jimfab bars were an improvement over Z10...they guy who made them supposedly designed the Z10 bars or something...I dunno.

We're putting Tein's on it next week, that should help some, the front shocks were worn out pretty good. Have a link for the A-Sports??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,101 Posts
eghybrid said:
OMG...that's the HUGEST pic ever. I'm suprised they hang down that far, wierd. I was looking at Z10 at first but, somebody I don't remember who told me that the Jimfab bars were an improvement over Z10...they guy who made them supposedly designed the Z10 bars or something...I dunno.

We're putting Tein's on it next week, that should help some, the front shocks were worn out pretty good. Have a link for the A-Sports??

shit hangs way too low, here is the link to the a-sports radius rods, they use the OEM x-member but are adjustable radius rods

http://www.autoadvance-inc.co.jp/shop/shohin/ASP0018.html

here is some uber cool fender braces

http://www.autoadvance-inc.co.jp/shop/shohin/36.html

there j00 go
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top