Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My sound isn't working on my dinosaur compaq presario. It has a built in ESS SOLO-1 PCI AudioDriver. I went to ESS's website and tried to download the driver but they dont have anything for the SOLO. I'm trying to contact Compaq (HP) also. Someone told me to hit delete at the startup, well when my computer starts up it goes straight to the windows loading blue, cloud screen. I hit the delete button and all it did was really quickly show me what kind of sound card i had before it loaded windows. It was kind of odd seeing as though that's some of the info i needed. Anyway, I want to make sure the sound is turned on. I've been trying everything but to no avail. Thanks.

· Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i tried that too, but isn't it supposed to do a quick run through on a DOS screen before loading windows, giving u the option to open BIOS? Mine just says COMPAQ across the screen and then says windows is starting :(

· Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well F8 was just a startup menu, where i could start in safe mode and crap like that,

now F10 brought me to i think where i wanted to be, a DOS screen and i went under the PCI Devices menu and it had 3 or 4 items, one of them said

Audio Device IRQ5

I could change it to like IRQ11 or IRQ3, but nothing said if it was enabled or anything. Any other suggestions?

Cant someone just go into my computer from there's??

I remember a long time ago some guy i met online and trusted went into my computer from his, something about sharing desktop through some program. Anyway i saw him looking through my files and stuff and helped me fix a problem. Could anyone do that? It's not like i have any crap i care about on here.

· Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanx alot xXludeXx!! I know i can get a new sound card, but i was just trying to not spend the money, and wouldn't i have to disable the old one anyway? I still really dont know how to tell if my old one is turned on!!! Can a soundcard just burnout though? It seems strange, but I'm not that into computers to know. Thanks again for your help though.

Any info on taking over my computer though? :eek:

· Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
windows netmeeting. that's what the program is, and then u go under share desktop. it's real simple to do i guess and i think everyone has it. i mean i had it and i didn't even know it.

But in my BIOS wut is the IRQ 5 thing?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.