Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i bought a vga to s video adapter for my laptop. i tried to hook it up but i don't get a picture. i tried to google it and some of the people said i need to do something in my display settings. i tried but no luck. i have windows 7. could anyone tell me what to do?

·
Registered
779 Posts
I don't have the red blue green hd cords... but if I take the single hd cable from my playstation and plug it into my comp, it automatically comes up on my tv. Don't know if that helps, mines also windows 7. If you got 40 bucks to spend maybe grab the single hd cable.

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
sometimes the adapters are bad.

Also go to your display properties and there is a 'monitor' type option which will allow you to choose secondary or primary monitors. the issue you might be havng is that your laptop is set as PRIMARY, and you want to display on both primary AND secondary, or simply just secondary. I don't have windows 7 but we do a lot of teleprompter setups this way and in windows7 it does require you to switch between primary and secondary displays.

My little laptop here has a hotkey of the F5 key being hit along with the function key. Chck yours out.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
I don't think VGA adapts to S-video, but it does go to Component rather easily - in fact they are almost the same thing. You have to remember that not all adapters bought online actually work. For instance, there is no way to hook HDMI to component, A digital signal can not transmit to analog inputs, therfor the HDMI to VGA wires are a joke but they are still sold.

Either way, S-Video is an analog signal and it should work, granted they hooked the pins up correctly. In your personalization menu (right click, Pers...)

There should be an option on the left that says

HOOK UP A PROJECTOR

click that, it's the simplist way to get into a 2nd display. After that it will show some options, you want to use a dual display, meaning show the image on the tv, and the laptop. If you do just the TV, it probably won't work. Laptop's onboard video cards are finnicky and tend not to allow that very easily.

Once you select dual display, make sure the TV is on and switched to the S-video input. If the computer shows a picture of 2 monitors (one larger than the other) then it means it recognizes that it is hooked up to something else, and you're connection is good.

But if an image doesn't show up on the TV, then the laptop can't output S-video in the current pinned connection.

·
Registered
11,252 Posts
I don't think VGA adapts to S-video, but it does go to Component rather easily - in fact they are almost the same thing. You have to remember that not all adapters bought online actually work. For instance, there is no way to hook HDMI to component, A digital signal can not transmit to analog inputs, therfor the HDMI to VGA wires are a joke but they are still sold.

Either way, S-Video is an analog signal and it should work, granted they hooked the pins up correctly. In your personalization menu (right click, Pers...)

There should be an option on the left that says

HOOK UP A PROJECTOR

click that, it's the simplist way to get into a 2nd display. After that it will show some options, you want to use a dual display, meaning show the image on the tv, and the laptop. If you do just the TV, it probably won't work. Laptop's onboard video cards are finnicky and tend not to allow that very easily.

Once you select dual display, make sure the TV is on and switched to the S-video input. If the computer shows a picture of 2 monitors (one larger than the other) then it means it recognizes that it is hooked up to something else, and you're connection is good.

But if an image doesn't show up on the TV, then the laptop can't output S-video in the current pinned connection.
You can actually connect a hdmi cable to vga by connecting a vga to dvi and then dvi to hdmi. You will only get picture. If you want sound too you will need an rca cable to connect.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts