Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently decided on putting some time/money in my car.
Im going to begin with springs/shocks. My 98 ex is completely stock and i'll be ordering some H&R sports this weekend(KYB AGX shocks will come within maybe the next 1-3months,hopefully)..
anyways, I was hoping that i could install these springs myself, but im not sure on how to go about it. From my basic understanding i figured i could get the shocks and springs out of the car, bring it to a shop, let them use their spring compressor(seeing that i dont have one), get the spring out, put my H&Rs in, and put the shocks back into place. Is it an easy enough procedure that i could do it on my own, am i even right on what needs to be done, or is it more invloved?? i'd love to say i did it myself and have the benefit of saving some money. I did a search and couldnt find anything to help, and i have no friends who would know where to start. Could i get a DIY on installing springs?

·
Registered
49 Posts
correct me if im wrong, but im pretty sure you can buy spring compressors for cheap... i think my friend bought some from the autoparts store for pretty cheap...& used them to lower his truck.... and they worked fine

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
etheR_ said:
correct me if im wrong, but im pretty sure you can buy spring compressors for cheap... i think my friend bought some from the autoparts store for pretty cheap...& used them to lower his truck.... and they worked fine

well correct me if i'm wrong, but i don't belive you need a compressor for the job.
i've changed shocks/springs...did the work myself, needed no compressor :D

as for installing aftermarket suspension...it can all be done, in your driveway :)...need a good set of tools, jack...etc

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, so i got the fact that i can do it on my own in my driveway, but i still dont know how to go about it. Can you list the steps on how i should go about the project of changing my springs?

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have a chilton's manual on my car, and it tells me how to replace my whole suspension, i assume that would come into some sort of helping when doing your suspension.... The haynes company also makes a modification handbook on doing all sorts of stuff to your car.. Also might help. You cna pick up a chiltons at your local auto parts store. good luck! PS- you can rent a spring compressor from a hardware store for short cash, and you ususally get a deposit back too... very efficient way of doing things.

·
Registered
325 Posts
if you need a spring compressor you are a wuss...
Yea not wanting a compressed spring to crush your skull :bh is being a wuss. its pretty obvious that you have never seen the what those fuckers can do.

if you have to take a spring out, use a compressor, its common sense. Like pulling down your pants before you take a shit.

·
Registered
112 Posts
um you are insane. I have changed over a hundred sets of springs.

set the spring on the ground with the top hat facing AWAY from you. Loosen it slowly and when it pops off it will go about a foot or 2 at the most.

to put it back on press hard or have a friend.

YOU WOULD HAVE TO BE A COMPLETE MORON TO HOLD IT TOWARD YOUR HEAD.

·
Registered
519 Posts
:stupid

yea, wehn my friend got his done the guy @ the mechanics shop didnt even use the compressor.. just held the top hat away from him and it came off easy, same thing for puttin it back on the shock :tu didnt use anything special other than his own strenght.. which btw.. hes about 5'10" 140 soakin wet!

·
Registered
582 Posts
:noo USE A COMPRESSOR!!! :noo I have take a class on this and if your going to go cheap don't do it on this, you can do this...But use a compressor, you have nothing to loose but a few bucks.

This way you can know how to do all this and also for your friends.

·
Registered
388 Posts
dont worry got to your local auto parts store and ask if they rent out the spring compressor kits they might say yes and your set just remember when your taking the nut off the top center of the spring to HAVE THE SPRING COMPRESSED if you dont have the spring compressed when you loosen that nut you better move your face cuz that spring will take it right off. so just make sure that on any spring your about to take off from the strut to remember to have it already compressed to avoid injury. good luck! :byye

1 - 16 of 16 Posts