Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I drive a manual 99 civic EX so the engine is a d16y8. I read that on that engine vtec kicks in at 4500 rpms, is this true? If this is true how do I know if mine is working? Ive read that you can hear it but I cant really hear a differene. Is there any other way I can check it?
-defacto

·
·Àdministrator·
1,238 Posts
hobie237 said:
as soon as those aggressive cams hit, you hear the engine rev like crazy and you get thrown back in your seat...

you basically just went from stock cams to stage 1 race cams...

you can always check it with the computer diagnostic or a dyno
What are you talking about? he has a stock civic ex. There are no cams that he hits at 4500 rpm. Its the 4 Vtec lobes on the intake side of him camshaft. The best way to find out if its kicking in is to put a short ram intake.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
a thing i did to see if vtec works, and when it engages.
get a small buld with 2 wires...one goes to vtec sensor...second is ground.

i ran the wires and installed the buld in my gauge cluster...
96' gs-r. vtec 4400rpm

·
Registered
912 Posts
i have a question, why are people always asking when their vtec kicks in? is it just to tell people "yea my vtec kicks in at around blah-dee-blah rpm" or whats the deal?

·
Registered
5,438 Posts
BrokenLimits said:
LoL its something low like that

there seems to be a serious lack of understanding of how vtec works... its because a cammed up motor doesnt idle for shit, and with standard cams you're not going to have the best power at high revs.....

so kicking in at 1500 would be pointless. it is meant to kick in above economy type driving... normally you will shift below the vtec point... but when you get above it your power goes nuts ........

·
Registered
131 Posts
i have vtec and short ram but i really notice much of a diffirence between stages, i can hear it but dont feel it. i have a stock d16z6 which ive heard is one of the best vtecs out there.

·
Banned
87 Posts
defacto said:
I drive a manual 99 civic EX so the engine is a d16y8. I read that on that engine vtec kicks in at 4500 rpms, is this true? If this is true how do I know if mine is working? Ive read that you can hear it but I cant really hear a differene. Is there any other way I can check it?
-defacto

no it's 5300

drops out at, about 4900

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
ricer99' said:
no it's 5300

drops out at, about 4900
question: running b18b1 tranny w/ b18c1 head and p28 Si ECU w/ Mugen chip
vtec kicks in at 5,500k...is that to high?...if so how can i adjust it? :confused

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
I know when VTEC kicks in because my pants catch on fire and I fly out the sunroof. Man I hate buying new pants, and I have finally learned how to fly!
Seriously, you should fell a small surge in acceleration. The tone of the engine should change. You can hook a light to let you know also, but you should have some kinda indication that it kicks in. Just pay closer atention to the car. Even in my old EX Civic, i could tell when VTEC kicked in.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I have my motor cammed up i have solid idle all the time. big built up V8 monsters you can tell when you have really agressive cams. I've never seen a honda idle weird because of cam design. Now someone correct me if i'm wrong now crower does have some custon grinds for honda's that might have a little idle issue not quite sure though.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts