Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to move my computer across my living room but don't want wire's laying around,
I know there must be a way of doing it, because when my wife is on her
iPhone it keeps coming up with "sky ***** when we click on the number it Say's enter pass code.
So i know our router can do wireless but i need to know what to do or add to my computer to make it wireless.
Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

·
Super Nazi Mod
5,806 Posts
did you set up your router? if not reset it then log into the router and name it and setup wep

·
Registered
5,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
did you set up your router? if not reset it then log into the router and name it and setup wep
It's the same router we've always used but hard wired, wasn't till my wife's iphone came up with the link to Sky broad band screen that i thought hold on, might be able to sort wireless.

Someone mentioned about them dongle things, but i also got offered a wireless hard board for the computer??? it's a spare one someone has got but i wouldnt have a clue where it goes or how to set it up . .

·
Registered
5,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
enlighten me?
wireless usb adapter - Google Search

its basically a USB powered wireless card. itll search for wireless networks and connect to them. when me and my ex had our own apartment and we were poor, one of these things saved my life. i had a sattelite receiver one on a 20ft USB cord. I would set it as far out on the balcony as possible, and i got 2bars of an unsecured network.

i downloaded easily 300Gb worth of media off of that network over the year i lived there with my ex. no cable/internet. we did what we had to do.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yea, I would get the wirless usb adapter.. First, thing the is your wireless setup. If not try to access it by enter 192.168.1.1 in the address bar of your web browser (either Internet Explorer, Firefox,etc...) usually if it is not setup to access the setup the usename is admin and password is password. or username is admin and password is admin. From the setup try to secure your wireless network so you would not get anyone unauthorized access your network. This is by creating "passcode"...

Here is a recommendation of a wireless usb adapter..
Newegg.com - ENCORE ENUWI-N4 IEEE 802.11b/g, IEEE 802.11n Draft 2.0 USB 2.0 Wireless Mini Adapter Up to 150Mbps Wireless Data Rates 64/128-Bit WEP, WPA, WPA2

Also, search Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, LED LCD TV, Digital Cameras and more! They are great place for anything computer related and fast shipping....

P.S. Pm if you need any help. Degree in Information Technology Networking

·
Registered
8,403 Posts
roger is right, i got one on a pc in the kids room. they are awesome.

·
Registered
5,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Guys thanks for the help!
Im looking into some kick ass dongles now :number1

One more thing, i don't know much about computas so hear goes,
wireless means moving my router.
my route is done through SKY Broadband, whilst searching for dongles etc, i came across some bad boy routers, because the second problem i forgot about was my router is jammed into the side of my desk top to cool it otherwise it just overheats, disconnects or freezes. so if i bought a bad ass router how would it work with my broad band contract? do i have to use their router or can buy one and run sky broad band through the new router?

Cliffs-
My service provider supplied me a router do i have to use it or can i buy a better one?

·
Registered
5,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
get a wireless NIC or usb adapter for your appropriate protocol 802.11 a/b/g/n more than likely you are 802.11 G. and you will be good to go:clappy
WTF does this all mean?? :lol

1 - 18 of 18 Posts