Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, Im trying to find an engine for my 98 Honda Civic EX. I have searched car-part.com for the engine, but it gives me 2 options for my VIN number.... AT and MT. I dont know which my civic is. Can anyone tell me?

Also what are some other sites I can also search for an engine by region? Thanks for any help offered.

· Registered
11,861 Posts
it'll take 2 ppl. open your trunk and lean in, towards the back of your rear seats. then have your friend repeatedly slam the trunk shut.

Reactions: tienlude

· Premium Member
23,755 Posts
it'll take 2 ppl. open your trunk and lean in, towards the back of your rear seats. then have your friend repeatedly slam the trunk shut.
x2

Reactions: tienlude

· Registered
8,403 Posts
LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!fawkin awesome

· Registered
8,403 Posts
every body repped.

· Premium Member
23,755 Posts
Hi, Im trying to find an engine for my 98 Honda Civic EX. I have searched car-part.com for the engine, but it gives me 2 options for my VIN number.... AT and MT. I dont know which my civic is. Can anyone tell me?

Also what are some other sites I can also search for an engine by region? Thanks for any help offered.
take a picture of your car and post it..maybe we can help figure it out

· Registered
10,346 Posts

:lmao

Are you serious?

· Registered
487 Posts
first thing i would do is get in your trunk and lift up the spare tire compartment and look in there sometimes there is a something in there telling you. second thing i would do is pop the hood and look at your engine (its the real big thing under there most likely with a big H on it) it could possibly help but im not promising anything there though. and last but not least i would have someone get in the drivers seat and start the car then my advise to you would be to lay on the ground in front of the car and have the person drive over your damn head cause your an idiot.

· Registered
7,297 Posts
first thing i would do is get in your trunk and lift up the spare tire compartment and look in there sometimes there is a something in there telling you. second thing i would do is pop the hood and look at your engine (its the real big thing under there most likely with a big H on it) it could possibly help but im not promising anything there though. and last but not least i would have someone get in the drivers seat and start the car then my advise to you would be to lay on the ground in front of the car and have the person drive over your damn head cause your an idiot.
best part about this is if it's AT, they can just let go of the brake and they'll go right over your head. this test is flawless.

· Registered
20,101 Posts
Since these jerks won't help you i guess i will

you have to look at the serial number on your ecu

but before you do that you need to disconnect the battery, then take it out of the car, remove your air filter (trust me on this) open all the doors and the trunk. turn the key on and wait 20 mins, by now the capacitors in your ecu should be discharged. now take your passenger side kick panel off (the panel thats by the passengers feet), and you should see your ecu. you have to take it completely out so you can see the numbers i am talking about

if the 6th digit is 3 then it is the MT Engine(which as everyone knows is the high performance one) if the 4th digit is a 9 then you have the AT Engine

if the 6th digit is a 3 and the 4th digit is a 9 then you have the rare JDM Engine which is gonna be bitter sweet for you, as it is very fast but very hard to find parts for.

Good Luck

· Registered
304 Posts
ok dude, if u're tranny is an automatic (AT), get the AT engine, if it's a manual (MT), get the MT engine; see the relationship now? every once in a while (orin my case, quite often), the obvious escapes us, so don't get too down about it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.