Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
where is the fuel filter located on a 90 EX accord? I haven't changed it since I bought the car. Car was bought at 81k miles. Now has 141k miles. Think it's time to change. Is it hard to change the fuel filter? Do you have to lower he fuel pressure somehow to do a change?

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
its near the fire wall under a black box near the fuse box nearer to the programed fuel injection device. there is a box and under you can see a cylinder type of filter with a big thick line comming in at both ends and going to the engine. i believe its black. people say its a pain to get it out. take out the box and get a blade and cut both ends plug the one comming from the gas tank and make sure ur car has been sitting for 2 hrs! replace it and lube the ends with vastline..or some lubricant. now start ur car. if it dont start jsut let it turn until it does..soemtimes the air in the gas has to be filterd out first. dont forget to put everything back.
i suggust that you buy a honda book to assist you on further repairs...that book saved me many times.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Depressurize the gas tank by unscrewing the gas cap and letting it sit for a bit, and have shop towels with you so you don't get gas everywhere

·
Registered
208 Posts
shit, i guess my car is waaaay different, but I am surprised that you would have to cut anything with a blade.

The following is almost word for word from the factory service manual for a 92 Civic, so keep that in mind. It may help, but if something looks different, just stop and go get an Accord manual.

Disconnect the negative terminal on battery first.

Remove fuel filler cap.

There are two bolts on top of the fuel filter assembly. The smaller one is the service bolt, and it is for relieving fuel system pressure. The larger one is the banjo bolt (it's OK if you don't know what a banjo bolt is, I would explain it, but I'm tired).

Put a towel over the whole thing, hold the banjo bolt in place with a box end wrench (12mm), and then loosen the service bolt (6mm) very slowly (slowly because the fuel is pressurized and will spray) one turn.

Then remove the banjo bolt and fuel feed pipe from the filter.

Remove the fuel filter clamp and fuel filter.

Get new washers, and put it all back together!

You should probably get a fuel pressure gague and check the pressure before you are completely satisfied, but if not, at least you have clean fuel!

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
i was looking in my book and it said the lines were metal..if thats the case then dont cut it..

·
Registered
208 Posts
AccOrDZteCh said:
i was looking in my book and it said the lines were metal..if thats the case then dont cut it..
I still don't see the need. The filter is enclosed in a metal container. Once you open the container, just drop in the new filter and reassemble. What lines ever need cutting???

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
hahah nm! i got confused with my dads car and my car...my dad has a 300zx. sorrie for the confusion.

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
stupid dummie i said my bad cause i was thinking about the car..hehe im not attacking u..but read my last post

·
Registered
208 Posts
AccOrDZteCh said:
stupid dummie i said my bad cause i was thinking about the car..hehe im not attacking u..but read my last post
I have no idea where that came from. :confused: I am glad that you were referring to a different car, because I need to change my own fuel filter, and if I have to cut lines, I am less likely to want to do it, ya know? ;)

Stupid dummie? That is the best put down ever! :D

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
haha i didnt mean to put him down i was jsut agravated that i had to post again heheheh. my badd yo. yea good luck mang

·
Registered
387 Posts
Speaking of fuel filters I just changed mine yesterday and what a pain in the dick. It looks so simple just sittin there on the firewall. I had a hell of a time breaking the service bolt loose along with the threaded fitting underneath. The fuel line felt like it was going to snap. I also had a little mist of gas coming out of the service bolt but then torqued it some more and took care of that.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
hmm.. i just went and bought the new fuel filter today. it looks pretty much like bolt on. is like a little black cylinder with 2 screw ports. Looks like I can just unscrew the old filter and screw the new one in. I just haven't had time to look for the old one. I'll do it this weekend and report on how hard or easy it was. Thanks for all the help.

·
Registered
387 Posts
It's right on the firewall. It does just bolt on but believe me when your breaking loose the service bolt it feels like your going to snap the metal fuel line underneath with the threaded fitting.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts