Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I waxed my car today and the only problem I seem to have is I have so much plastic trim on my car I am always worried I will get the wax on it and it will discolor it. I have the trim going down the middle of both doors, the area around my license plate, my mirrors, door handles, the 2 strips on the roof and the 2 "running board" like strips below the doors. Does anyone use anything to cover these areas up? I can't think of anything you could use that wouldn't be hard on the paint or a pain in the butt to pull off when you are done. I guess I will just have to do what I have been doing and be extra careful around those areas but I can never get right to the edge. Any helpful advice would be appreciated! :)

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
actually there is an easier way...just use armoral or some other really greasy plastic protectant on all of the trim BEFORE you wax, then none of the wax will stick and you can wipe it away.

I saw that in a magazine once and it works well. try it!

·
Registered
864 Posts
Then you run the risk of getting the armorall on whatever you're waxing with, and that's worse than getting wax on your plastic surfaces. It can be cleaned off with some vinyl/rubber cleaner and a bristled brush, expecially like trim along the side (like my "sideskirts") which has a rough texture. Door panel trim is easier to remove wax from as it's smoother.

·
Registered
3 Posts
masking tape is the best i was a auto detailer for a while
this is what i always used
just cover up everthing you dont want wax on

·
Registered
325 Posts
I dont worry about it when I wax, and afterwards I go back with a rubber/plastic protectant or cleaner and it takes the wax off the plastic, just be careful not to get the cleaner on your pain.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts