Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
a clutch install is going be alot of work. first off the motor has to come off and the second is tools. ie cherry picker, not sure if people take trannys out with motor in? The tool r a great investment thought, hell i want a cherry picker.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Well..you need a manual...any time you're doing something like this for the first time, if you don't use one, the money you saved not buying one will seem like nothing compared to the money you may have to spend due to your mess up.

Here's, a basic, VERY BASIC procedure for removing the transmission...

-Drain Tranny fluid
-Remove drive shafts
-Unbolt linkage from car
-Remove starter
-Disconnect wires from tranny(speed sensor, ground, reverse)
-Unbolt slave cylinder from tranny(no need to break line)
-Support engine at oil pan with jack and a piece of wood
-Unbolt passenger side and rear motor mounts(from car and motor/tranny)
-Begin unbolting tranny from motor

OK, now that all the bolts are out have someone you trust slowly lower the jack as you support the tranny(like a bench press) so the motor and tranny sit at a slight angle. Then push up and wiggle the tranny to break it free then pull it away from the motor and once it is clear of the input shaft allow it to rest on your chest, then carfully get out from underneath the tranny without hurting yourself and you're almost there...BTW...putting it back in this way is pretty damn tough...especially when you do it by YOURSELF!!

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
If you need to ask how to do it it's not going to be an easy DIY project. It's easier if you have somebody who's a pro at it help you and guide you along. Oh, and guest, I'm pretty sure you don't have to take the whole motor out for this, I'm not sure about other cars, but I've done enough Civic's to know that you don't need to do that.

The clutch itself is very to change and replace and whatnot. It's the process that's though.

·
Registered
786 Posts
jai si said:
If you need to ask how to do it it's not going to be an easy DIY project. It's easier if you have somebody who's a pro at it help you and guide you along. Oh, and guest, I'm pretty sure you don't have to take the whole motor out for this, I'm not sure about other cars, but I've done enough Civic's to know that you don't need to do that.

The clutch itself is very to change and replace and whatnot. It's the process that's though.
See above, you don't need to take the motor out...I've done it ALOT of times...even by myself once.

·
Registered
801 Posts
I have done it a couple times without a cherry picker and once with, it is really nice if you can get a cherry picker to support the weight of the transmission instead of you doing it. It kinda hurts to have a transmission shift and land on your chest. Its doable without one but if you can get one, get one. You can rent them by the day at rent a centers.

·
Registered
786 Posts
SFF900 said:
I have done it a couple times without a cherry picker and once with, it is really nice if you can get a cherry picker to support the weight of the transmission instead of you doing it. It kinda hurts to have a transmission shift and land on your chest. Its doable without one but if you can get one, get one. You can rent them by the day at rent a centers.
LOL...yup cherry pickers are your friend...especially when you're doing it by yourself, taking it apart isn't so bad but, putting it back together...Whew!! The "5-minute tranny benchpress" is killer...I did it once, and will never do it again.

·
Registered
801 Posts
eghybrid said:
LOL...yup cherry pickers are your friend...especially when you're doing it by yourself, taking it apart isn't so bad but, putting it back together...Whew!! The "5-minute tranny benchpress" is killer...I did it once, and will never do it again.
haha the installing sucks more when your friend is above you takin it easy, havin a drink saying up higher, higher, tilt it to the left, rotate it a little left, higher, higher

YOU GET UNDER HERE AND DO IT, ITS YOUR FUCKIN CAR! that was when i said screw this we are driving to go pick up the cherry picker. (my other friends uncle lets us borrow the picker from his shop but its 45 mins away)

Sorry still a little worked up about it. I will never do it without a cherry picker again so much easier with one.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
cherry picker wha??

I put my car up on a pair of autozone ramps, put a floor jack under the tranny after I tied a towing strap around the engine to the strut tower brace to hold the engine up, then I unbolted the tranny and pulled it out the bottom, replaced the clutch and flywheel and put it all back together...

I did it in a driveway in about 4 hours with a 40 piece craftsmen set, car ramps, a towing strap, and a 2-ton floor jack.

or you could go get a cherry picker and pull your engine :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Uh..so you put your car on a ramp, and was still able to remove the tranny? I always had to remove the drive shafts and to do that you gotta take off the front wheels and the center hub thing on the rotors. Anyways, that's the way I've always done it. And yes like stated before it's easier to put a jack with a 2x4 under the tranny to eliminate the benchpress dude. And eghybrid I know that you don't have to remove the motor because much like yourself, I've done this many times and also have done it solo.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.