Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My V-tec only kicks in when my car is warm. Does it run off a thermostat or is my car just messed up? I plan to get a V-tec controller pretty soon. Do they really help.

My ride

1998 civic ex
apc-cai
apc-strutbar
ssc-17"
gen 1 tails
sprint springs 2 1/2'' drop
tanabe exhaust
terminator wing on way

· Registered
960 Posts
98civicexwfo said:
My V-tec only kicks in when my car is warm. Does it run off a thermostat or is my car just messed up?
No. It only works when warm.
A vtec controller for your car would be worthless. You are lacking any preformance/engine mods, and you would just be wasting your cash money.

· Registered
83 Posts
:fire1:

VTEC only works when the car has reached optimal opertating temerature.. yours should kick in around 5500 rpms.. I have had luck with the VTEC controller... i think they are a pretty good investment.. but i got a spoon vtec controller.. i got it off e-bay for pretty cheap.. and works good...

· Registered
936 Posts
98civicexwfo said:
My V-tec only kicks in when my car is warm...
Heh, I love these statements! Dude, your VTEC is ALWAYS working, only in different stages. VTEC works from idle to fuel cut-off; for ricers, racers and grannies alike. It doesn't just magically come on at 5500-RPM, or whatever. All a VTEC controller does is allow you to diddle around with the set-points of the various stages and functions of VTEC.

Now, would you like to restate the question??? :rolleyes:

· Registered
432 Posts
"VTEC

VTEC is one of Honda's greatest invention. Though an undisputed expert in turbocharging as evidenced by years of Formula-1 domination while Honda was active in the sport, Honda's engineers feel that turbocharging has disadvantages, primarily bad fuel economy, that made it not totally suitable for street use. At the same time, the advantages of working with smaller engines meant that smaller capacity engines with as high power output as possible (ie very high specific-output engines) are desirable for street engines.

Thus Honda invented VTEC which allows it to extract turbo level specific output from its engines without having to suffer from the disadvantages of turbocharging (though VTEC introduces disadvantages of its own). "

· Registered
432 Posts
did that help out...? just some stuff I picked up on the net. I've got so much HONDA crap on my cpu it's scary. want more:

The Basic VTEC Mechanism

The basic mechanism used by the VTEC technology is a simple hydraulically actuated pin. This pin is hydraulically pushed horizontally to link up adjacent rocker arms. A spring mechanism is used to return the pin back to its original position.

To start on the basic principle, examine the simple diagram below. It comprises a camshaft with two cam-lobes side-by-side. These lobes drives two side-by-side valve rocker arms.

The two cam/rocker pairs operates independently of each other. One of the two cam-lobes are intentionally drawn to be different. The one on the left has a "wilder" profile, it will open its valve earlier, open it more, and close it later, compared to the one on the right. Under normal operation, each pair of cam-lobe/rocker-arm assembly will work independently of each other.

VTEC uses the pin actuation mechanism to link the mild-cam rocker arm to the wild-cam rocker arm. This effectively makes the two rocker arms operate as one. This "composite" rocker arm(s) now clearly follows the wild-cam profile of the left rocker arm. This in essence is the basic working principle of all of Honda's VTEC engines."

· Registered
936 Posts
Dude, I know you're just pasting this info here, but whomever you quoted is full of sh!t...

CivicNOS1 said:
VTEC is one of Honda's greatest inventions...

...Though an undisputed expert in turbocharging as evidenced by years of Formula-1 domination while Honda was active in the sport...

...Honda invented VTEC which allows it to extract turbo level specific output from its engines...
First of all, Honda didn't invent 'variable cam timing' or even 'variable cam timing and electronic control.' True, VTEC was the best thing Honda ever did to their grocery-getter motors [VTEC craps all over VVT and VVT-i for instance] but Honda DID NOT invent the concept...

Secondly, Honda was never the "undisputed expert in turbocharging" of anything, let alone F1. The first turbocharged F1 car hit the track in 1986 and it was a Cosworth Ford. Cosworth was [and is] the "undisputed expert in turbocharging", then and now.

Thirdly, turbos were banned from F1 racing in 1989. '86-'89 was the 'F1 Turbocharged Era', so called, and Honda didn't dominate sh!t. Plus, Honda is STILL involved in F1...

Lastly, a conventionally valved, streetable, N/A engine is good for about 85 to 90-HP per litre max. The VTEC system raises that to 100 to 120-HP per litre max. Turbos can FAR exceed this!

Here's a nice little Nissan motor ~ 705 streetable HP ~ 235-HP per litre:
Other similar outputs would include twin-turboed Honda NSX's, various modified Subaru WRX's, Mazda RX-7 turbos, Skyline GT-R's; the list goes on...

How could ANYBODY compare VTEC output to turbo output??? It's ridiculous...

Sorry to disillusion you bro, but you're listening to the wrong ppl! ;)

· Registered
936 Posts
macromachinez said:

ooOOOOo!!! took him down! good one! :D
I'm not trying to 'take anyone down' here. I'm just trying to debunk some of the horsesh!t surrounding VTEC. And, there's plenty of it laying around these pastures...

If NOTHING else, I would hope that ppl remember VTEC is NOT a THING. It's a SYSTEM of THINGS, or simply a SYSTEM, if you would.

The VTEC SYSTEM is in operation from the moment you start your car to the time you turn it off. The VTEC SYSTEM does not just come into operation when the engine gets warm, or above 5500-RPM, yada, yada, yada...

If THAT is the only THING I can get across in this thread, I would be happy... :rolleyes:

· Registered
68 Posts
VTEC

yeah, your vtec only works once a few things are in check such as engine temp, oil pressure, speed reading etc. Only then will the ECU allow VTEC to activate. Vtec controllers do not offer big horsepower advantages unless you've done some tuning. On a stock car (minimal upgrades) it really wont do anything especially if you dont know what your doing with the fuel tuning. You're ECU will start kicking out some codes and cause your car to do erratic things. I should know, been there done that. My car is turbo with bigger injectors now so it helps a lot, but it has to be finely tuned

· Registered
936 Posts
Yeah, whatever...

Okay, let's seperate the men from the monkeys. Can anybody tell us what these pictures show???
Here's another angle...
If any of you self-proclaimed VTEC experts would like to give it a shot, go ahead and we'll continue the discussion. Otherwise, I'm not casting any more of my VTEC pearls before swine...

· Registered
936 Posts
LuckyH said:
Nope!
See the two 'switches'? Can anyone tell us what they do???

· Banned
638 Posts
BDC what are your views on the new Valvetronic system from BMW?? Compared to (i-)VTEC, VTC, and VVTL-i.

· Registered
936 Posts
RageAgainstNate said:
BDC what are your views on the new Valvetronic system from BMW?? Compared to (i-)VTEC, VTC, and VVTL-i.
Ah, ah, ah! Answer the quiz correctly first... :D

· Registered
936 Posts
jaysi said:
They control Vtec?
:confused: heh
You could just tell us... :eek:
Yes! Very good, jaysi!

The only problem for our resident VTEC experts is the fact that this particular style of Honda VTEC motor has two VTEC switches on it, which begs the point...

When does the VTEC kick in, or as these guys would probably ask, "When do my VTEC's [plural] work?"

Any of you VTEC experts know about this motor? Its a 1.5 L CiViC motor, it puts out 130-HP, and there's zillions of them all over the world.

When do you think the VTEC "works", bros? Try and bullsh!t your way through this one. Come on! You can do it...

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.