Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
car/engine is jdm d15b [the vtec one] in a 92 si with CAI, exhaust, removed a/c, ps.

what i want to do first is finish the whole intake/exhaust setup by getting a better[bigger] TB and IM, header, and a hi-flow cat to complete the exhaust.
after thats done i am going to get probly a comp street cam and some good gear mabey skunk 2 then have it tuned. ill eventually get a 6 puck clutch and mabey the thinner headgasket mugen makes down the line.

my question is right now my next mod in line will be the tb and IM. ive thought about just getting a y8 mani but would it really give me much gain? or should i just save up and get a skunk2 mani or something?
also what TB would be better than the one i have and a direct fit on this d15b, the y8 mabey?

my goal for this car is not to be the fastest, just fast, like in the low 14's high 13's i would be happy with.

suggestions appreciated.

·
Registered
10,384 Posts
y8 mani =~$100
skunk2 = ~$230

honestly, i dont think the $130 extra will be worth it
i'm faily positive the y8 will fit, but let me do a quick search...
yes it will

·
Registered
10,384 Posts
might i also suggest a b18b throttle body port matched to the IM

·
Registered
478 Posts
IMO the d16z6 p08 intake manifold is better suited to the power charactoristics of the JDM D15b's high reving nature.

it will suit that motor better as far as im concerned and this is why i personelly am using one one on my JDM D15b over opting for the y8.

both will fit and you wont really even tell a difference seat of the pants between the two.

theres really no need for the aftermarket one at this time when only thinking about sticking with the all motor route.

focus on the header/collector for now, to increase what the strengths of the JDM D15b are, its revabilty. this will yield your biggest results in the 1/4 time and trap speeds. Theres plenty of tuning that can be done on the OEM cam for now. it can propell you to mid 14's if you get the combo right in all the other departments. focusing on what the motor is good at is often easier than trying to make it do something its not.

as far as Throttle bodies's go, as IIsaintII said above; a 60mm B series throttle body would suit you fine. I have one on my crx (bone stock) it works great. I wouldnt go larger for a street car though. i wouldnt be using the AEM CAI thats 2.5" diameter with this however. I use the OEM integra air pipe personelly. there are other options.

here is how to "port match" it yourself.

http://sohchonda.com/ipw-web/bulletin/bb/viewtopic.php?t=4037
a 2" flapperwheel and a variable speed drill is all you need.

on my 4dr i have opted for a smaller 58mm throttle body with a flared 64mm inlet. the flapperwheel is good for this as well if u get creative.

·
Registered
478 Posts
i try. =)

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
4dr i almost forgot to thank you for the post, looks like u put some thought into it and it was very informative.

·
Registered
478 Posts
its my job. =)

and your welcome buckeroo. tis all in the day of a SOHC Honda cowboy.

now eat your vitamins and say your prayers.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts