Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
looks like ill be changin the head gasket in ma 96 ex 4 door. gonna be in a damn big hurry for my girl will be driving my car till i fix hers :( so heres the question, it took me a really long time to swap the head on my d series motor and im just replacing the head gasket and whatever else i come across on the way
so cant i just unhook everything, leave the intake mani, pull the head clean it all up really good, and go back with it, replacing the water pump timing belt and all the seals under the timing cover?? and not take it to the machine shop? the odometer reads 130000 not sure tho i just bought the car a couple weeks ago. but i just wondered if i can do it that easy or if anyone else has done this and wished they had done it right. i think i might can get away with it.

·
Registered
401 Posts

Whenever you pop a headgasket, YOU SHOULD TAKE THE HEAD TO A MACHINE SHOP. ESPECIALLY if you don't now how to look for warpage. Even if you didn't overheat the head, it could have uneven hi/low spots on it. They will allow coolant into the engine just like it was before. These need to be machined out on a mill. The difference means doing the job once or AGAIN because you didn't have it checked. SO the shop might have it for a day, Will your girl understand that you have to tear the car apart AGAIN and make her wait some MORE because you didn't do it right the first time?

Reactions: 2000cvclilbolls

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
grrr lol youre right i know but first off i am the shop that will have it for a few days. second my girl will drive what i tell her to drive and she will like it. :D third i do know how to check a head for warpage b/c i am an auto tech student in college. so i really knowe what i am supposed to do i just wanted to know what every one thought i can get away with. the head gasket is just starting to leak. and i will prolly not be takin it to the machine shop.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.