Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any ideas on how i can get the fastest auto 5th gen prelude? Money isn't a problem but i want to keep the stock tranny. thanks for any ideas. i was thinkin like cam shafts, cams, v-afc and all the bolt ons. Let me know.

Thanks

· Registered
102 Posts

· Registered
12,727 Posts
buy a 5 speed lude....rather than converting it to a 5 speed.

· Registered
4,233 Posts
lOOkatme said:
buy a 5 speed lude....rather than converting it to a 5 speed.
thats great advice but he did NOT ask if he should just get a 5speed..why do people here jump on these questions with same old answers?? prelude1897 just got flamed for same sort of response..if you can't help the cause don't take the post in a total different direction:rolleyes:

· Registered
224 Posts
check with ludeboy, he's running faster than many manuals.

auto to stick change is retarded unless you have money to burn or have put so much money into your car already that its the only option you have.

· Registered
9,779 Posts
lickmylude said:
i love you reck1

i am soo tired of this web board. most people on here are assholes and give no help to any questions, they just make irrelivant post which nobody cares to read.
TAKE YOUR OWN ADVICE...anyways, if u want the fastest anything you will have to get a turbo or a lot of n2o...ive heard off SS ludes in the low 13's.what did they have///turbo or n2o...dont waste your time on boltons if u want the best..

· Registered
1,612 Posts
Alright all. I am gonna give up my secrets....

Ludeboy's steps to SS speed

1. Drop some weight. The SS really hurts in the launch. The less weight the quicker the car can get going in the rev range to make power. Even still the launch will suck, but not as bad. My 60 ft times were around 2.3. :p Rightnow I have these mods to drop weight. CF hood, lightweight wheels, fixed Sparco, lighter exhaust, removed all the insulation, removed exhaust heat sheilds, removed rear side impact beam, removed the intake resonator, removed rear bumper support. In the future, I will relocate the battery to the trunk, remove the radio, ps, and ac, and a few other things.

2. Torque is the name of the game. You MUST modify your SS Lude with torque in mind. Same idea. You must get the car rolling. If they put an auto in a Civic Si, it would be doggg slow. Why? It has no tq. 4-1 headers, CAI, and so on are great for high rpm power, but if it takes you a long time to get there, it isn't doing you any good. Even though it says on AEMs site that the CAI is great for low end tq, many have noticed a low end decrease in grunt. I recommend short rams with cold air piping for SS Ludes. Pullies are also a must have. Not for top end power, but rather for throttle response. I have not yet dynoed my Lude, but I have enough loe end power to leave a nice patch and scratch it hard in second. Try doing that in your stock SS!

3. For god sakes race in AUTO! Yeah it is cool and sporty to shift by yourself, but your best times WILL be had if you let Honda do the shifting for you. My times were more then a half a second off shifting in SS mode. The SS mode is great for autoX though since you will need to hold the gears in place for powering out of corners and engine braking.

· Registered
4,134 Posts
Re: you converted your auto????!?!!??

lickmylude said:
I want to convert my auto to 5 speed. Who did it for you? How much and where do you live. Thanks alot. I am dying to know.

-mike
Where do u live? My boy is getting his swapped to a 5spd. for a great price. Something like $1100 for install and parts (used but still that is a good price)

Personally i wouldn't because your resale value is going to suck. I am getting the PTS kit and torque converter then spraying.

With other little mods including mugen thermastat and switch, hondata heat shield, and skunk 2 manifold when it freaking comes out:eek:

· Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
guys, i would like to apologize for my behavior. Thanks for the info. I actually love this web board and i was frustrated with my SS lude that ran a shitty 16 and i shouldn't have taken it out on you. I love everyone and everything. It doesn't matter how fast my car is. It looks sooo good, who cares.

· Registered
298 Posts
Ludeboy said:
Alright all. I am gonna give up my secrets....

Ludeboy's steps to SS speed

1. Drop some weight. The SS really hurts in the launch. The less weight the quicker the car can get going in the rev range to make power. Even still the launch will suck, but not as bad. My 60 ft times were around 2.3. :p Rightnow I have these mods to drop weight. CF hood, lightweight wheels, fixed Sparco, lighter exhaust, removed all the insulation, removed exhaust heat sheilds, removed rear side impact beam, removed the intake resonator, removed rear bumper support. In the future, I will relocate the battery to the trunk, remove the radio, ps, and ac, and a few other things.

2. Torque is the name of the game. You MUST modify your SS Lude with torque in mind. Same idea. You must get the car rolling. If they put an auto in a Civic Si, it would be doggg slow. Why? It has no tq. 4-1 headers, CAI, and so on are great for high rpm power, but if it takes you a long time to get there, it isn't doing you any good. Even though it says on AEMs site that the CAI is great for low end tq, many have noticed a low end decrease in grunt. I recommend short rams with cold air piping for SS Ludes. Pullies are also a must have. Not for top end power, but rather for throttle response. I have not yet dynoed my Lude, but I have enough loe end power to leave a nice patch and scratch it hard in second. Try doing that in your stock SS!

3. For god sakes race in AUTO! Yeah it is cool and sporty to shift by yourself, but your best times WILL be had if you let Honda do the shifting for you. My times were more then a half a second off shifting in SS mode. The SS mode is great for autoX though since you will need to hold the gears in place for powering out of corners and engine braking.
i would think ss mode would give u better times if you shifted at the correct point. The auto decides to shift way before the redline which puts u out of vtec in second gear slowing u down until u hit vtec agian. I did some non official 0-60 times and i found that it was better to sport shift shift at 8k in first gear then at redline the rest of the time. Torque braking helps sort of launch to.

· Registered
401 Posts
What about for us 4gen guys who have auto's? Stick it in D or shift manually? I hat shifted manually on all my runs at the track seem to be ok, but if i can shave some time with keeping it in Drive then i will sure as shit keep it there from now on.

· Registered
1,612 Posts
I am telling you guys, you will have better times in auto......... Motor Trend got much better times from the TL in auto mode as well.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.