Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I sometimes almost autocross around town and I'm wondering if it's bad for our car. I'm always upshifting and downshifting constantly when I start driving like this. I don't speed and I don't take corners insanely fast but I usually downshift into a corner and punch it out the corner pretty fast. I have a SS and I downshift on the freeway all the time to pass. I get bored and I just start driving a different way for fun. Sometimes I worry though what it might be doing to my car.

·
Registered
12,727 Posts
Kyn said:
I sometimes almost autocross around town and I'm wondering if it's bad for our car. I'm always upshifting and downshifting constantly when I start driving like this. I don't speed and I don't take corners insanely fast but I usually downshift into a corner and punch it out the corner pretty fast. I have a SS and I downshift on the freeway all the time to pass. I get bored and I just start driving a different way for fun. Sometimes I worry though what it might be doing to my car.
I kinda drive hard sometimes......and sometimes take my car out. mostly I am hard on the suspenison......unless I sololey take it out for enjoyment....then I am hard on everything:)

but I think the suspenison can take it...if not I can always buy some Koni yellows in the future.....:)

·
Registered
551 Posts
This is a really good topic, I've been wondering about the same thing..

I pretty much only have two speeds, really slow (rollin') or as fast as I can go (racing). I'm worried about the transmission most of all because the shifter feels a little rough (especially on the 1-2-3). I notice a lot of annoying creeks and chirps in the suspension too, but with 86,000 miles I probably have worn out struts(?)

How durable is our engine? Can it handle occasional VTEC and all out racing?

·
Registered
188 Posts
You know what they say...."Drive it like you stole it!!"

Well, believe it or not, my buddy has 128,000 miles on his 98 prelude......and he rags on it all day long....he hasn't had not one problem with it....except that he changed the timing belt at 60,000 miles...so i'd say...you guys are probably ok.....

I drive it hard, but only when necessary....i already bent a valve before....which is what lead me to rebuild the motor.

·
Registered
36 Posts
if its a daily driver and you are tearing on the thing it probably won't last. No car (not even the mighty prelude) can stand constant thrashing. unless you are performing all sorts of preventative maintenance along the way. In my situation I drive my lude 2 or 3x a week. I let it warm up. I ease it out. let it roll, and then after about 5 minutes of nice nice I open that thing up like a can of whoop ass. Don't get me wrong. I don't abuse the hell out of it but I do give her a chance to run now and then. It all comes down to how quickly you address any creeks, or squeeks, or rattles. most big problems are usually small ones that got ignored. My best advice is: DONT FORGET TO CHANGE THE OIL!!

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
I never drive the tranny or engine hard...I mean vtec is cool and all but it's just not fun wasting all that gas...

I do though take turns like NO tomorrow. It's funny, I think I take turns so fast and so hard yet I know it's capable of more cuz I never hear the tires screech, plus atts is fun...I always like when cars tail me up the butt and there is a turn coming up...im like "You dumb ass you're gonna look stupid after I school you and you're 4 cars lengths behind after the turn."

I did once take a left hand turn with very very very little room to spare cuz I didn't wanna miss the yellow light, and I did hear the tires screech, I could have hit the curb but the atts saved me...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts