Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be getting a GSR motor in the near future for a h/b.
I was thinking about having a short shifter (ss) installed at the time the engine is installed. BUT, I am reading that ss can cause problems.

Is the stock GSR shifter pretty short?
Has anyone upgraded to a ss?
What are your thoughts on ss for a GSR?

Here are some of the things I've read about ss:

"I heard that a short shifter can mess up your syncros, but correct me if I'm wrong."

They can rattle and cause constant noise?

"All they do is increase shift feel and shift EFFORT. you can shift a tranny with a stock shifter just as fast as the same one with a short throw. If you are trying consatntly to shift as fast as humanly possible with a short throw you will wreck your tranny."

"many shops down here in cali dont recommend using short shifters. A mechanic at a shop called OverRev in ontario,ca told me that the ball on aluminum shortshifters tend to warp afer time and this can cause problems for the tranny. My friend had a short shifter in his b20turbo hatch for a while, and it started feeling funky last month. He doesnt drive the car much and I've never seen him misshift. We havent taken the shifter out, but the same guy at OverRev said its most likely the shifter warping."

Can someone clear all this up? Thanks!

· Registered
419 Posts
stock shifter is fine i dont recommend getting an ss because it can mess up tranny. some ppl i have heard of on the net have misshifted and messed up there engines because of a ss. a gsr ss is short already and if u get a ss its even shorter. i think the ss shifts from gear 2 gear is like an inch to like a inch and half with a ss.
stock shifter is fine stick with it

· Registered
2,575 Posts
Reputable companies are what make the best SS. You get what you pay for as grey would say:)

As for a SS hitting your heat shields, I only know of shitty OBX or matrix shifters that do that. ANd thats not the worst thing...they tend to break, literally they'll break in two:(

SS dont mess up trannys..drivers do. Dont buy into that BS. I would recommend a Skunk2 SS...I have it and its a sweet item

· Registered
586 Posts
The stock shifter is quite short.. very short im comparison to other stock cars. Ive let a few friends drive my car and they thought they were in neutral but were in 2nd gear..
Alex

· Registered
156 Posts
I would stick with the stock shifter and spend the money ib\\on something more useful.

The stock shifter is short as is...

· Registered
43 Posts
i thnk ss is a good idea..

i hve it for almost 4 yrs.. and ss dont mess ur tranny its how u shift... honestly my shift is much faster and much more consistent... all u hve to do is just push or pull and it goes in automatic.... i dont have to push to my rite if im shifting 2nd - 3rd.. the shifter just goes automatic all i hve to do is push... same in 3rd to 4th i just pull and goes rite in...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.