Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I changed my car's oil around 4000 miles with Mobil 1 Synthetic 5W30 I think, or 10W30... it's the new car formula...

but anyways, i changed it in july (Summer) and how long until I change again??

I mean, I know its a good habit to change oil through out the seasons, just so it's good for the engine, when do I chagne the oil though?

·
Registered
281 Posts
They say that you can go 5000-6000 miles if you change the oil filter at 3000.

If i were you, i'd just do complete oil changes every 3000 to keep everything nice and clean

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
damn Mobil 1 Synthetic at every 3k?!?!?! that's expensive......

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
i just pay 15 bucks to my mechanic to do it. draining the oil and desposing of it is a pain in the ass and when it spills on the drive way moms and pops aint too please. :mad:

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
its not that much... I put mobil 1 in both my cars and change both at 3k... then just give the oil to people that have oil burning furnaces in their garages... why pay a mechanic... makes us import lovers look kinda wierd when we are driving beefed up cars and then go somewhere to get the oil changed...

·
Registered
113 Posts
there are different variables when it comes to changing your oil. how often do you use it? age of the car? etc...however, normally, the question doesnt like on how long the oil will last, rather, how many miles you used...

every 3000 miles, you change your oil, every 6000, you change your oil filter...

but i just send it to my mechanic who also does the routine maintenance, XX point check, and so on...

·
Registered
959 Posts
Usually change every 3000 miles, but sometimes I let it go until like 4000 miles if I don't have time to change it myself. My friend put 0w-30 into his Eclipse, and after 3000 miles when he drained it it was still kinda clear, I was able to partially see through the oil when he pulled the plug and drained the pan...when I used to use dino oil, Castrol GTX, the oil was black as hell at 3000 miles...

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
rockwell said:
there are different variables when it comes to changing your oil. how often do you use it? age of the car? etc...however, normally, the question doesnt like on how long the oil will last, rather, how many miles you used...

every 3000 miles, you change your oil, every 6000, you change your oil filter...

but i just send it to my mechanic who also does the routine maintenance, XX point check, and so on...

so as soon as you put the new oil in.. the old oil in the filter instantly contaminates the new oil...

·
Registered
500 Posts
DV8 said:
damn Mobil 1 Synthetic at every 3k?!?!?! that's expensive......
try having a turbo and changing it every 1500 miles. i actually use Mobil 1 synthetic 15w50 and change it every 1000 miles. new oil and new filter. why would you change the oil but not the filter? the filter costs a whole $2.50

NA cars should change oil and filter every 3000 miles and use regular oil. you dont need synthetic. synthetic is designed to stand up to high temps. NA cars run at about 600F. a turbo car runs at 1300F. NA doest get hot enough to need synthetic. its a waste of money. so is 93+ octane gas in an NA car. use 87-89 and regualar oil and it will last longer. its deisgned to run on low octane gas

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
98AccordEX said:
try having a turbo and changing it every 1500 miles. i actually use Mobil 1 synthetic 15w50 and change it every 1000 miles. new oil and new filter. why would you change the oil but not the filter? the filter costs a whole $2.50

NA cars should change oil and filter every 3000 miles and use regular oil. you dont need synthetic. synthetic is designed to stand up to high temps. NA cars run at about 600F. a turbo car runs at 1300F. NA doest get hot enough to need synthetic. its a waste of money. so is 93+ octane gas in an NA car. use 87-89 and regualar oil and it will last longer. its deisgned to run on low octane gas
it may be designed to withstand high temps but thats not all it does... its cleaner, doesnt break down, and has cleaning agents in it that make for a better longer lasting engine... check the oil in a car that uses regular oil and then check a car with synthetic... regluar oil will be watery after time and will be dirty... synthetic (after using it for a while) will have the same consistancy and be a lot cleaner...

·
Registered
500 Posts
i used 87 octane and regular oil before my turbo. thats the first 87,000 miles on my car

my friend has a 97 Accord and uses 93 octane and synthetic oil and 40,000 less miles

my car runs 100 times better than his. i smoked his ass when i had nothing but rims. 18" that weigh 57lbs with tires. and he had AEM CAI, DC headers, Greddy exhaust, Nology wires, Denso Iridium plugs. it was right when i was learning how to drive a 5sp and he had an automatic. i coulnt drive worth shit and still kicked his ass

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
98AccordEX said:
so is 93+ octane gas in an NA car. use 87-89 and regualar oil and it will last longer. its deisgned to run on low octane gas

so what would you say to those people who drive an si, a gsr, or a type r? those are all n/a motors yet, they require minimum 91 octane. yes, they do have knock sensors, and the car will adjust if you put 87 or 89 octane in them, but at a lower performance.

·
Registered
500 Posts
gotboost? said:
so what would you say to those people who drive an si, a gsr, or a type r? those are all n/a motors yet, they require minimum 91 octane. yes, they do have knock sensors, and the car will adjust if you put 87 or 89 octane in them, but at a lower performance.
i was referring to Accords. if you have higher compression or FI you need better fuel. the cars you mentioned plus the Prelude all have higher compression which all need better fuel due to the compression. the Accord was built to run on 87 octane. it says that right in the manual. sorry i didnt mention i was referring to just Accords. i thought everyone would realize that because this is the Accord forum. my bad

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
98AccordEX said:
i was referring to Accords. if you have higher compression or FI you need better fuel. the cars you mentioned plus the Prelude all have higher compression which all need better fuel due to the compression. the Accord was built to run on 87 octane. it says that right in the manual. sorry i didnt mention i was referring to just Accords. i thought everyone would realize that because this is the Accord forum. my bad
no problem. i just assumed you were talking about any honda because you mentioned n/a. my bad as well.

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
91Integracer said:
it may be designed to withstand high temps but thats not all it does... its cleaner, doesnt break down, and has cleaning agents in it that make for a better longer lasting engine... check the oil in a car that uses regular oil and then check a car with synthetic... regluar oil will be watery after time and will be dirty... synthetic (after using it for a while) will have the same consistancy and be a lot cleaner...

well said...

·
Registered
235 Posts
hmmmmmm......

I change my oil at 2K miles is that a overkill with mobile 1 5w30. I live in AZ so it gets very hot!

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
Re: hmmmmmm......

jocktheglide said:
I change my oil at 2K miles is that a overkill with mobile 1 5w30. I live in AZ so it gets very hot!
the heat doesnt really matter with mobil 1.. you would be safe at 3 or 4k changes..

·
Registered
10 Posts
Mobil 1 can safely be used for 10000miles.Our "trusted" mechanics like to recomend the same 3000mi. change like in the times when the engine oil was as good as the oil in the fry pan.
The oil companies don't say too much since this way they sell about 3 times more oil.It's a win/win situation.For them.
When I moved from Europe to N America I was surprised to see the conventional oil being changed at 3000.We used to change it at 5000.That was dino oil about 10 years ago.
Since then the oil have been greatly improved.Not to mention synthetic oil.
It's sad to see how people get fooled into changing their oil just because it "looks dirty".It's supposed to look dirty.If an oil does not look dirty means it's not doing its job,keeping dirt in suspension that is.
More on oil on http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi
There was a test on NewYork cabs.Some got changes at 3000,the others at 9000. At 100.000 when they checked the engines for wear,there was no difference.This was on dino oil.
Many people at the site I mentioned do oil analysis so they can see exactly how a certain oil does in a given car.Mobil 1 at 8000mi. looks just fine.The filter is important also.
Hope I didn't bore you to much.Just sharing what I've learned in past months.Usualy I visit Prelude boards but now I wanted to see what the Accord guys say about the 2003 Accord.

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
i change my oil well used to be 7000k intervals and sometimes 10k intervals..but i went down to 5. i use a combination of 10w-40 and a synthetic blend of light weight...my uncle was a mechanic and assisted some company in research and found that an blend of oils would be eqivalent to a synthetic blend in one bottle. in a conterversy case, full synthetic is bad for your car...please lets not argue about this..if u want to though create another forum...ne ways so i use 4 quarts riight...and i put 1 synthetic and 3 regular. no damage interior at all very good. i want to change to mobil one but i dont have that kind of cash. hha my friend was like damn...cause he changes his oil every 3000 and he is like sheit u still havent changed urs?? haha. hehe if my theroy sounds rash..i dont care...it has kept my car going great for 12 years...even when we took apart the block no visible damage...and for me who revs high its good.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts