Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody :)

I have just joined the forum today i live in Exeter, Devon UK.

I drive a black del sol VTI.

I am looking at getting a set of nice shiny 17 inch chrome alloys for her but was wondering how far i could drop her without having any problems.

Any ideas? Thanks

·
Registered
146 Posts
my advice princess for starters is never put chrome on the exterior of a honda. go with polished instead of chrome. as far as suspension look into a coil over system. u can mess with the ride height. skunk2, omni suspension...

·
Registered
5,789 Posts
I have a set of adjustable coilovers and they are awesome...but it's just the coilover assembly...what you should do is get a full kit...coilovers and the shocks...I've lowered my sol about 3 inches and I still need to lower it a bit more in the front...I haven't done so yet bc I need new axles...anyways I would say anywhere from 2-3 inches would be fine...anything more is kind of crazy...some idiots around here think that riding so low that you are about to bottom out is cool, but that's just the dumbest thing you could do...

·
Registered
27 Posts
Like some have pointed out, lowering (by itself) is not the best idea. You need to look at the total suspension package. If it's going to be a pure show car, get a set of cheap coilovers, and drop that puppy. If driving the Sol, pay careful attention to the type of driving you do AND the condition of the roads. Even a 3 inch drop can be a damage magnet for bad roads with pot holes and other debris.

Just some general advice. Go with a good suspension package and align, align, align that thing.

·
Registered
5,789 Posts
Warped Sol said:
Like some have pointed out, lowering (by itself) is not the best idea. You need to look at the total suspension package. If it's going to be a pure show car, get a set of cheap coilovers, and drop that puppy. If driving the Sol, pay careful attention to the type of driving you do AND the condition of the roads. Even a 3 inch drop can be a damage magnet for bad roads with pot holes and other debris.

Just some general advice. Go with a good suspension package and align, align, align that thing.
I don't know about getting cheap coilovers for a show car...show cars are under intense pressure at shows to have top quality parts on their cars...so a cheap set won't do...and for roads with pot holes, just avoid them...when you lower your car and put rims on it and get it kitted out and what not, I would like to think that ppl are more aware of the road conditions and are more aggresive drivers...I'm super aware of everything...I know the roads in this city like the back of my hand...you just have to be cautious and if you aren't willing to PAY more attention then you shouldn't be doing anything to your car, "mod"-wise...

·
Registered
70 Posts
Like some of the other guys have stated go with the complete suspension package. Either go with a good set of complete coilovers like tein or another company like that or with a good set of springs and some aftermarket shocks, i would personally suggest going with the eibach sportlines and some koni yellow shocks if thats the route u decide to go.

Also don't put chrome rims on ur sol and anything bigger then a 16 inch rim is gonna look too big. What really looks nice on the black del sol's is some polished gsr blades. ;)

·
Registered
5,789 Posts
hobie237 said:
DO NOT USE CHROME... bling doesnt work on hondas

make sure its a decent package for the suspension and you're good
chrome on hondas isn't too bad...I got a buddy with a '90 lx accord (4 door) that's got some 20's on it...he's getting ready to get it bagged...but before he got the 20's it was all done up...he sold some things like his tv's and system components to get the 20's and the h22 swap...it looks good but putting anything chrome on like a civic coupe/hb/ or del sol or anything of that nature is a big no-no...but I know what you mean, some hondas look so whack with chrome rims...

·
Registered
27 Posts
I would like to think that ppl are more aware of the road conditions and are more aggresive drivers...I'm super aware of everything
You are the exception to the rule. 8 out of 10 body kits I run into have cracks (primarily lip) and other dings. Most people don't know how to drive. Even those that do, they still get surprised (even on familiar roads). Guess it just depends on where you live.

I really like Tiens, especially their upscale coilovers. Expensive, but a really good suspension package.

I don't know about getting cheap coilovers for a show car
Yup, you're right on that one. My bad. I'm not a show person. I'll enter shows to get a really good parking space, and I'm closer to the race track. It does seem like the judges are getting smarter about their craft. Not only are they looking at bling, you hear more and more questions like "did you install that yourself" (for performance mods). Still think most judging is bogus, but it certainly isn't as bad as four years ago.

Ooops! Sorry about the judging hijacking fo the thread. Go Tiens.

·
Registered
16 Posts
i would say not to drop more than 1.5 inches then you need to install camber kits and many others things! also having 17inch rim and droping more than 1. inch5 would cuz tires to ride on the body! unless you make fender wider

·
Registered
10,923 Posts
pink princess said:
Hello everybody :)

I have just joined the forum today i live in Exeter, Devon UK.

I drive a black del sol VTI.

I am looking at getting a set of nice shiny 17 inch chrome alloys for her but was wondering how far i could drop her without having any problems.

Any ideas? Thanks
My idea: get 13X8 Volk TE-37's :evil! Then a good
coil-over drop=Super Mario Go-Kart! :number1
I don't know if they have tires for those, but I saw them
listed on Volk's website a year or so ago, after I already
bought my RH's :cry. That, to me, would be badass
"bling"!

·
Registered
5,789 Posts
Warped Sol said:
You are the exception to the rule. 8 out of 10 body kits I run into have cracks (primarily lip) and other dings. Most people don't know how to drive. Even those that do, they still get surprised (even on familiar roads). Guess it just depends on where you live.

I really like Tiens, especially their upscale coilovers. Expensive, but a really good suspension package.

Yup, you're right on that one. My bad. I'm not a show person. I'll enter shows to get a really good parking space, and I'm closer to the race track. It does seem like the judges are getting smarter about their craft. Not only are they looking at bling, you hear more and more questions like "did you install that yourself" (for performance mods). Still think most judging is bogus, but it certainly isn't as bad as four years ago.

Ooops! Sorry about the judging hijacking fo the thread. Go Tiens.
a lot of the judges at shows don't know shit about what they are looking for or what certain things do on cars....it's crazy...I think what they need to do is have ppl who are seriously into the import scene and know a thing or two about mods, that way you have ppl who are legit opposed to some old guy who only went to the show to see some nice young ass...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.