Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how many miles can a del sol handle before replacing stuff, are the replacement parts expensive?,,,im going to go look at a 93 del sol si, black, stick shift, 137k miles, they want $3700.....if i get a car for that cheap my parents will drop me $1000 cash to spend on mods, i currently have $2000 to spend on mods, so if i got a car like that it would b 3k to spend on mods, i dont wanna get it though if im going to have to replace timing belts, radiator, ect in a month or 2!!

· Registered
226 Posts
You're not going to find a car for 3 grand that is going to last you 4 years without having to dump money into fixing problems. Your best bet is get something cheap, drop a newer motor in it for 2 grand, and then use your leftover money for rims and suspension. There's no point in having a bodykit, intake, header, exhaust, ect if your car doesn't run and you cant afford to fix it.

· Registered
1,208 Posts
Okay...I don't know Del Sols. The one you're looking at isn't the one with the B16A3 is it? If it is then do your best to get this car. If it doesn't have the DOHC VTEC motor then I'd be less than enthusiastic about it. Here's my advice:

For a 93 the timing belt should have been replaced at about 90k miles or sooner. Expect to replace it at 180k or a little sooner. Check for records on that with the owner. If they say they haven't then you should use that as leverage to bring them down with whatever the cost of a timing belt replacement is at the shop of your choice. Have the car checked out by a mechanic/shop that you trust. He'll tell you what he thinks of the car and whether you'll be replacing brake pads in 5k miles or if its burning oil or the radiator is shot or the car's been wrecked. If you can't get $75 together to pay a mechanic to check it out then borrow it. Its money well spent. Oh...last thing...go to kelly blue book . com and put in this car to see the value of it for your area.

· Registered
355 Posts
delsol4life said:
its a 93 si del sol, 137k miles, they want $3700
if i get it then id have $3000 to spend on it, i would not replace the engine most likely....
if the sol was taken care of then it will last. It's a Honda. just build the motor and you'll be good. that'll cost less than swapping in a new motor. then you cna handle mad boost from NOS or a Turbo.

uoboarder said:
Okay...I don't know Del Sols. The one you're looking at isn't the one with the B16A3 is it? If it is then do your best to get this car. If it doesn't have the DOHC VTEC motor then I'd be less than enthusiastic about it.
you'd be surprised the del Sol Si has the SOHC VTEC engine.

Those motors have lot's of ptential. Instead of dropping $2k-$3k into a new motor, buid the hell out of so it can handle mad boost. IF you do the work yourself yo nca fully build a D16Z6 for $2k.

Good Luck

· Registered
479 Posts
I'd just get the car checked out. Its a honda like VTEC dave said, "Built Honda Tough". If it checks out fine, then go for whatever you want with ur extra ching ching. But most importantly just make sure the car is good.

· Registered
10,923 Posts
My uncle had a '93 HB, (NICE red, maintained), back in '99
that had over 300,000 miles on it, with only the water pump
needing to be replaced, once. Just depends on who you're
buying from; the guy/gal may maintain it, but may also "floor
it" every time the light turns green. If you like the car, initially,
just ask the guy if you could have it "checked out" by YOUR
mechanic before you buy, (at YOUR expense, of course). I
don't see why he'd deny it, unless he's hiding something.
If I we're selling a car and someone said that to me, I'd
say "HELL YA!". Even if the mechanic said the engine's about
to blow, the worst he can do is stick to his price.

· Registered
154 Posts
that's a pretty good price on a used Si. My last sol was a 94 S. When i got rid of it, it had 176,000 miles on it and was still strong even though i didn't take care of it for shit (i didn't really care at the time... :( i was a bad monkey.... ). check your local yellowpages for a company like carcheckers that will come out and inspect the car from top to bottom, inside and out (the even do compression testing and timing checks). If it checks out with no major problems, it's definitely worth the $100 the company is going to charge. (if you can't locate a name, call your local dealership/used car lot and find out who they recommend. go under the guise that you plan on buying a car from them...)

Repair costs = CHEAP ! even a trashed tranny is only going to cost ~$1000 to replace with a low milage used. the A/C unit however... :( about $1300.... most parts are pretty cheap, but there are a couple of exceptions.

for example : you might wind up spending part of that $3K on some new roof seals. Check them for leaks VERY carefully (especially for damp moldy smells under the seats). Seals run about $1200....

D series engines are good engines for one REALLY good reason: b/c everyone wants the DOHC B-series engines, nobody wants the D series. if the engine completely eats itself, it'll only cost about a $500-1000 for a 30K mile used engine! Think about it, <$5K for a car with a 30K engine..... not too shabby huh....

yeah, it's not a DOHC, but there's plenty of time for that later! Good luck on your search and keep us posted if you buy!

· Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i looked at it, and the engine ect looked like shit, drove like shit ect, wasnt taken care of, THE SEARCH CONTINUE's...ill keep you posted, only 6 del sols for sale within 100 miles, 2 are S models, 2 are auctmatic and 2 are Si's but are either like 12k or are automatic si's ect...wish me luck for this weekend, i think my dream car will appear in the news paper this saterday :) i hope so..

· Registered
10,923 Posts
delsol4life said:
i looked at it, and the engine ect looked like shit, drove like shit ect, wasnt taken care of, THE SEARCH CONTINUE's...ill keep you posted, only 6 del sols for sale within 100 miles, 2 are S models, 2 are auctmatic and 2 are Si's but are either like 12k or are automatic si's ect...wish me luck for this weekend, i think my dream car will appear in the news paper this saterday :) i hope so..
I still think the "Lude's" deal sounded pretty good. Get some
vacation time, his address, and take a roadtrip :).

· Registered
26 Posts
I have a 95 VTEC del sol with just over 200K miles on it, and she is still running quite well. I havent had to do any real repairs on it besides the basics (brakes, clutch, etc...) not too much, I did do a few mods to it, but just the basic bolt ons (I/H/E) and a new paint job, but only because i got into an accident. This is by far the best car I have owned so far. I bought it in March of 2000 with 60K on it for $8000, and since then have not had any thing really go wrong on it....plus i barely ever change the oil every 10-20,000 miles...she seems to run better with older oil...i dont know what her problem is, shes picky.

· Registered
2,411 Posts
93 del slow s
wen purchased it had ~87k on it.
got it for $1370 but i do envy the disk brakes and power door locks of other sols. oh well, win some loose some

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.