Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently been searching the car market for a new car and I was wondering how much NSX's are going for. My friend said he saw a '92 NSX in the paper with 83K for $8,000. That seems a little cheap to me considering these cars are so rare. But is it possible to find a good deal on an NSX??

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
Mistuda said:
I have recently been searching the car market for a new car and I was wondering how much NSX's are going for. My friend said he saw a '92 NSX in the paper with 83K for $8,000. That seems a little cheap to me considering these cars are so rare. But is it possible to find a good deal on an NSX??
That car has a salvage title. That's my bet, anyway.
There is no way a '92 NSX in any kind of condition will sell for <$15k.. and I wouldn't even count on that low.

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
A few months ago, a friend of somebody on SHO got an NSX for $9,000 at a police auction and supposedly it was in good condition. Nobody knew if it would run, so the kid spend $400 having a key made and low and behold, it started. Sounds like a real life urban legend, right? But like Nathan said, don't count on paying less than $15k for a crappy one.

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
flyingtoaster said:
A few months ago, a friend of somebody on SHO got an NSX for $9,000 at a police auction and supposedly it was in good condition. But like Nathan said, don't count on paying less than $15k for a crappy one.
Yeah, repos and police auctions can get you some good deals... but I wouldn't expect to win one of those, especially if somebody is there who knows what they are worth. That other guy got WAY lucky.

·
Registered
8,144 Posts
I've heard of freakish steals like that on a couple NSXs, but for the most part the too-good-to-be-true ones are either scams or salvages in need of repair. You will see a relatively high proportion of cheap NSXs because when they get damaged, it's expensive as hell to replace due to the handbuilt and complex aluminum structure. Repairing anything aluminum, especially when it's a pretty rare car and one of the very first to ever use aluminum, is not cheap so often the cost of doing mere bodywork absorbs most of the car's would-be value.

·
Registered
184 Posts
One of my friends at my work has a beautiful red 93 and he paid around 75000 or somewhere around that and he got it new. Now it has 100000 miles on it and hes never had a problem. you should look them up on ebay.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Spending $5000 for a NSX is like paying Angelina Jolie $5 for head. Sounds cool but I would just snap back to reality I wouldnt expect to pay less then $25000 for a NSX I would expect more then that even. You do realize you are talking about paying $8000 for one of the badest import exotics on the market right? Get out of here you dont pay $8000 for a NSX and post it here ill assassinate you if its nice and you paid $8000.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I registered just to answer this post.:)
Here is a guide for pricing
http://www.nsxprime.com/wiki/Pricing

Under $25k doesn't exist. You got more chances of hitting the lottery, or getting run over by a NSX.
Now if you want one thats been t-boned by a semi or in a 3 car pile up and then repaired with salvage title they go for around 23k and up. A hard-hit frame damaged repairable 1991 with 100k/mi will cost you 15k plus repairs.

Here is where most nsx's are traded in the US. a couple per month are marked sold. In the winter you could save a couple bucks. 2-3k cheaper.
http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=22

Thats where I found mine after 10 years of wanting, 6 years of saving and 1 year of searching.
I've been a Honda nut since 15 years old collecting sport compact car and importuner and super street since the 1993 Prelude SI was the fastest Honda out.

And while searching for one, half the NSX's I checked out were previous salvage.
Clean is really - really hard to find.

And plan on traveling just to see a couple. Only 2-3 per 100 mile radius for sale is common

Reliability is amazing and, add +/- 30 rwhp just from $3k in bolt-ons and reduce 150-200lbs of luxury things the NSX never needed.

12.9's - 13 flat 1/4mi is common on 100k+ mile cars.
Thats impressive, for a reliable road racing car.
It's no a drag strip 1/4mi killer, but it will do it way more times than any other car ever built.

Handling is sick, really-really sick.
Even better is that depreciation doesn't apply as they get more expensive every year. 1-2k per year lately. only 8000 ever made in 15 years.
Also consider that this is the only car that will never rust.
That means allot when you start looking at 15+ year old exotic cars.
Maintenance cost is reasonable, about the same as an BMW M3.

Some guy I know has been tracking a 1992 on weekends since day one and now has over 170k with no rebuilds and still running competivley.

Some new cars are faster some will handle better (supposedly) but few will argue that it is one of the best all around consistently performing reliable cars ever built.

Heres an easy way to make a couple bucks with a NSX thanks to Honda engineering. This explains why the NSX was 80k new.

-On the street if you knowingly have a faster car than me, (1992 NSX with 105k @ 2800lbs & 320hp/280rwhp) bet is $1000 if you can beat me 5 times consistently within 5 lights 0-100. I haven't lost one bet yet. raced some really nice cars.... Supras, Rx7's, Turbo Civic's, WRX's all running around 12 flat. not a single one made it to the fifth light run without blowing a head gasket or clutch, overheating, blown oil lines, coolant hoses. all kinds of stuff. reliable 12.7 sec 1/4's back to back on a semi-stock with bolt-ons type car without any cooldown is no joke. That's what makes a great road racing car cost 80k new. NSX's factory titanium rods and forged pistons go a long way. (Yea I know a new Z06 will do it but obviously I'm not out to lose $1000 bucks, but if supercharge than I'll try to bet a new Zo6)

Obviously there are other modified cars out there on magazines that can do that..... RX-7's supras, civic's, STI's..... but I bet $100k went into them too and 3-4 years of R+D and there also for sale on ebay for $40-100k now.

Basically when people comment on why the NSX was 80k and only ran 13 sec stock. Answer is because Honda knew they built the only car that was ever going to run 13's for 30+ years and 200k+ miles with zero rust. No Porsche Ferrari or anything can match that.

Plus for 8k a NSX comptech supercharger (you can still find them) will push 11's with an Acura Warranty included. Now thats new Corvette ZO6 territory that Acura also had running back in 1998 as an option. people are buying clean stock 1991's with over 100k/mi for $30-$32k and supercharging them with no reliability concerns or rebuilds.

Any way I'm not here to say the NSX is the best car in existence.
And I'm deffinatlly not trying to argue better car or faster car....

The point is............. it sure is hell will be very, very valuable for a really, really long time.:)

·
Registered
19 Posts
The NSX is a great car but for the price i don't know i would not get one. I think something like say a evo would be better. Not saying that there not great cars but for the price. My frined has one and he payed 35,000 for his and i beat him all the time. I raced another one in my old car which was a 98 cobra stock 5 speed, It was a tie we went 4 times he took me twice and i took him twice. But then again i don't think he could drive at all. But for the price it cost me 1300 to get my evo to 316whp and i just think they are way over priced. But that is just my 2 cents

·
Registered
42 Posts
The NSX is a great car but for the price i don't know i would not get one. I think something like say a evo would be better. Not saying that there not great cars but for the price. My frined has one and he payed 35,000 for his and i beat him all the time. I raced another one in my old car which was a 98 cobra stock 5 speed, It was a tie we went 4 times he took me twice and i took him twice. But then again i don't think he could drive at all. But for the price it cost me 1300 to get my evo to 316whp and i just think they are way over priced. But that is just my 2 cents
Of course nsx's are dated, of course newer cars are just as fast if not faster. But for a 17 year old car with mild updates over its lifetime the NSX is still very formidable (and with a damn near bolt on turbo kit from lovefab or hp you have a car that almost no one can touch). But regardless of that, and i'm serious when i say this, If you owned an nsx you'd understand the draw of the car. Its owning a piece of automotive history, a very low run production piece of history. Every time i get behind the wheel of mine I still get that big shit eating grin like when i was going to buy it. The car handles like a dream, pulls like monster, looks like pure sex on wheels, and if maintained and taken care of, will hold its value for a long time. My 91 was appraised last week by my insurance company at 45k$. Not to bad for a 17 year old car.

·
Registered
5 Posts
i agree with EclipesNSX .first i was looking to buy a EVO MR and stumble upon my NSX and ever since i bought it i cant be happyer. Fun car to Drive, Gets attention like any other modern car and knowing i have one of a very few made in the world is priceless. Even thought others cars might be faster i wouldnt trade this in. On to the topic i got my car for less then 27k and this was a really big bargin . In excellent condition. Probably the best deal out there so far. It holds its vaule very well and one day might become a collector items.:D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.