Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 2000 civic with a 92-95 jdm b16a. Its pretty quick, but i want more. Im just wondering how much would adding an LSD affect acceleration? assuming i can run around a 15.0 now, about how much time would i see reduced from my timeslips? also does this improve 60ft times as well?

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
Not sure how much it will help. But as far as the 60' question... yes, a lot. It will ONLY help launches, acceleration out of turns, and wheel spin on hard shifts. And it can slightly reduce off throttle handling ability.

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
It's alot better than peg legging off the line, you have the tire with the most traction getting the power instead of vice versa. You should at least drop a tenth or more in your 60ft's over stock.
Plus a huge benefit of a LSD is taking tight corners. An open diff will smoke the inside tire, while an LSD will pull you through evenly. For example a 04 LSD equipped SRT-4 gained 2mph in the salom over the 03's mainly because of this. I would get one for your Civic you cant go wrong, you just have to take your tranny apart in install(shop recommended only). Let us know if you pick one up and how you like it.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Porblem is if you don't know how to use them to your advantage correctly, you can start to snap things on launch. Thats a lot of stress on everything when the tires dont spin at high r's.

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
LSD or not, traction is still very much an issue. i dont think it helps all that much

·
Registered
928 Posts
Nathan123 said:
Not sure how much it will help. But as far as the 60' question... yes, a lot. It will ONLY help launches and wheel spin on hard shifts. And it can slightly reduce handling ability.
Quaife LSD allows Honda's to be quicker around the track, not slower. Clutch pack types of LSDs are a different story.

·
Registered
928 Posts
civic_x_95 said:
Porblem is if you don't know how to use them to your advantage correctly, you can start to snap things on launch. Thats a lot of stress on everything when the tires dont spin at high r's.
True, but remember that stress is dispersed to two axels instead of one with LSD. Therefore, you have better traction, and it's not focused on one side.

·
Registered
928 Posts
LSD made a huge difference for me in my H22. And now that I have the DTR traction bars, my traction couldn't be better. Also, my handeling is insane, my front end is just planted to the pavement. God I love whoring.:D

·
Registered
109 Posts
LSD's do help to a certain degree but the main purpose it was buil for was for racing. When you race on a track go into a corner you try to hug into the corner and get the most into it as possible(if you know what I mean) and in the corners their are those sortof what you call them? striped speed humps, and when one of your wheels hits that small hill, one wheel goes in air wile other is still spining on the track. Whithout LSD the wheel thats in the air will free spin or be at a different rate of speed then the other wheel, so that when the wheel hits the track it causes instebility and reduced tracktion. With LSD, both wheels spin at the same speed as the wheel that on the ground, so you dont loose traction when the wheel hit the ground resulting in safer turns and efficiency.

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
Yeah. Like he said. LSD was designed to keep your wheels from spinning when you go airborne in races. :rolleyes

No. Not really. And the wheels don't move at the same speed. That's why it's called a differential.

·
Registered
928 Posts
UR2L8 said:
LSD's do help to a certain degree but the main purpose it was buil for was for racing. When you race on a track go into a corner you try to hug into the corner and get the most into it as possible(if you know what I mean) and in the corners their are those sortof what you call them? striped speed humps, and when one of your wheels hits that small hill, one wheel goes in air wile other is still spining on the track. Whithout LSD the wheel thats in the air will free spin or be at a different rate of speed then the other wheel, so that when the wheel hits the track it causes instebility and reduced tracktion. With LSD, both wheels spin at the same speed as the wheel that on the ground, so you dont loose traction when the wheel hit the ground resulting in safer turns and efficiency.
Are you kidding me. It's not like track racing cars have Detroit Lockers (If you don't know what this means, look it up. I get sick of explaining.) They most likely have quaife LSD, where the diff engages when one wheel loses traction.

"LSD's do help to a certain degree but the main purpose it was buil for was for racing."

Wow, that was deep. Do you have any mods on your car? What do you think most engine and suspension mods were origionally made for? Racing. Stiffer struts, springs, larger diameter and more efficient exhaust, forced induction, LSD , they were made for the track and introduced to the public market.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have a b16a SIR 2 with the LSD and I lit my best friend race my car in the 1/4. he twisted off the axle.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Theo said:
I have a b16a SIR 2 with the LSD and I lit my best friend race my car in the 1/4. he twisted off the axle.
That sucks. If you didn't have the LSD it probably would have happened sooner though. Sounds like you need to invest in some beefer axles or keep a couple of pairs of cheap junk yard axles handy. It's not like you are making alot of torque so you will probably be ok with stock Honda b16 axles, don't buy aftermarket ones though, they suck hardcore.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a clutch type LSD and it works great except for the popping sound of the clutch engaging and disengaging. It is a Kaaz racing diff so it really isn't made for around town driving. Some sacrifices of comfort had to be made to beef up the diff.

The reason I got that baby was because I blew my Torsen diff to bits at the track and snapped my axle at the same time. I needed a diff that could handle my intermittent wheel hop and high rpm clutch drops. I have to drop it around 6 thousand to fire my turbo up quick for the launch.

The clutch type diff has really helped put the power to the ground at the track but I still get a little wheel hop here and there due to my motor mounts being quite bad. After I get solid mounts and diff brace, all should be well.

Garrett

·
Premium Member
9,293 Posts
itr206 said:
LSD or not, traction is still very much an issue. i dont think it helps all that much
well not for the insane amounts of power your running :p

·
Registered
928 Posts
Johnny Tran said:
well not for the insane amounts of power your running :p
Yeah true, especially when you are running upwards of 500 lbs. of torque, can't be good on anything designed for stock power. :rolleyes

·
Registered
12,727 Posts
how hard is it to install a Quaife LSD??? I am thinking about getting one for my prelude....using it for backroad driving(mostly canyon driving for pleasure).

·
Registered
928 Posts
lOOkatme said:
how hard is it to install a Quaife LSD??? I am thinking about getting one for my prelude....using it for backroad driving(mostly canyon driving for pleasure).
Install should be between $250-$500, maybe more but you would be getting ripped, in my opinion. The LSD itself I believe goes for around $1000, but this is just a educated guess.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts