Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I know it might sound like something alot of people would not do ... but I have a Toshiba laptop and when getting it we bought the extra 3 years extended service from best buy (arnd like $250). Any way I was figuring if there was some way to "mess" up the computer so when I take it in for service they would just upgrade me to a newer model rather than fixing it. I bought this about a year and half ago so I know that they don't carry this particular model anymore.... if they were to swap it out with anything it would most likely be better than this one. And as far as messing it up goes, I don't want it to be anything obvious like a big crack in the screen LOL ... I was thinking about disabling the cpu fan so the processor burns out .... but I want to know if anyone else has any ideas??? Or has anyone else done this? do you think that this might work??
thanks for any input.
later

·
Registered
75 Posts
One time my girlfriend kicked a cup of Gatorade on my laptop, it shut off and started smoking. It was funny as shit. I just took it apart and cleaned it out, let it dry real good, then took it back to Best Buy and said it just wouldn't turn on.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hmmm..... sounds pretty smart ..... so just take the magnet and place it close to the processor and hard drive? i doubt theyd be able to tell what happened to it!
thanks.....

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ludacris326 said:
One time my girlfriend kicked a cup of Gatorade on my laptop, it shut off and started smoking. It was funny as shit. I just took it apart and cleaned it out, let it dry real good, then took it back to Best Buy and said it just wouldn't turn on.

did the replace it? or just fix it? did you end up with a newer model? :) sounds like my plan might work! yippee lolz

·
Registered
536 Posts
my girlfriend's dad dropped it off the stairs of his house and he brought it to best buy. He started with a PII 300 Mhz and went home with a P4 2.2 Ghz nForce Nvidia Toshiba for.. FREE because of that warranty thing....

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
yeah the service does help out alot but when i used to work at best buy as an instore tech if we couldnt fix it then we had to send it off to serv. for like 1 month and if they couldnt fix then we would swap it out but i am not sure how they do it now. if it was within 1 year then they just might swap it out as DEVO item.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
well guys thanks for all your "help" hehe im going to go ahead and do it today ... im going to go with the magnet idea seems like thats the best so far ... ill let you guys know what happens.
later

·
Registered
908 Posts
Just open it up, turn it on, and spill water all over it, shit, dunk it in the bath tub. That way it will just dry and you won't have to open it up to clean it.

IF YOU OPEN IT YOU WILL PROBABLY LOSE YOUR WARRENTY.

·
Registered
211 Posts

OK, I am a Lead PC Technician at my local Best Buy. Since you have a Service Plan there are only certain things you can do to break your system but not have it void the warranty/service plan.

Never use liquid of any sort. Only HUMIDITY is covered under the Service Plan.

If you open the case yourself that will Void the Manufacturers Warranty and Best Buy Service Plan.

Abuse of any sort is not covered. That includes accidental. So if you drop it out of your window that will not be covered regardless even if your dog did it. :)

A cracked LCD screen is not covered either. If it blows out then it warrants a replacement. If you step on it SORRY.

Ok................Here is some info that customers do not/may not know.

Within one year of purchase most Desktops/Laptops are replaceable under what we call DEVO (Defective Equipment Void of Operation) Basically within that first year you will get a brand new system from the store not the service center. This can also be done as many times as the unit breaks.
After the first year the item may still be devo but most likely will be sent out to our Service Centers. Service Centers make the determination whether the unit has been tampered with and if it falls under the Service Plan.

THIS SHOULD HELP YOU.

If you want to break your laptop, use a battery and hookup the leads to your motherboard and backend of your LCD screen. The surge will blow the Motherboard, Processor, and LCD contacts on the board.
LCD's cost anywhere from $600-$1100 to replace so you will most likely get a brand new laptop. The fact that your board and processor is burnt out will pretty much guarantee a new unit.
IT WILL BE TO COSTLY TO FIX. Cheaper to replace.

I hope this info helps and if you have anymore Best Buy questions let me know.

SORRY THAT I RAMBLED ON. It's 5:00 AM and I'm retarded.

Edit...........So you don't void your warranty, open the slot on the bottom of your laptop where your memory goes. That is the only place you are allowed to open. Put Pos. and Neg. contacts on that area and it will surely burn out everything. ;)

·
Registered
364 Posts
Re: ....................

SickAssCivicXX said:
OK, I am a Lead PC Technician at my local Best Buy. Since you have a Service Plan there are only certain things you can do to break your system but not have it void the warranty/service plan.

If you open the case yourself that will Void the Manufacturers Warranty and Best Buy Service Plan.

Abuse of any sort is not covered. That includes accidental. So if you drop it out of your window that will not be covered regardless even if your dog did it. :)

A cracked LCD screen is not covered either. If it blows out then it warrants a replacement. If you step on it SORRY.

Within one year of purchase most Desktops/Laptops are replaceable under what we call DEVO (Defective Equipment Void of Operation) Basically within that first year you will get a brand new system from the store not the service center. This can also be done as many times as the unit breaks.
After the first year the item may still be devo but most likely will be sent out to our Service Centers. Service Centers make the determination whether the unit has been tampered with and if it falls under the Service Plan.

THIS SHOULD HELP YOU.

If you want to break your laptop, use a battery and hookup the leads to your motherboard and backend of your LCD screen. The surge will blow the Motherboard, Processor, and LCD contacts on the board.
LCD's cost anywhere from $600-$1100 to replace so you will most likely get a brand new laptop. The fact that your board and processor is burnt out will pretty much guarantee a new unit.

Edit...........So you don't void your warranty, open the slot on the bottom of your laptop where your memory goes. That is the only place you are allowed to open. Put Pos. and Neg. contacts on that area and it will surely burn out everything. ;)
what a great employee!

·
Registered
211 Posts
BRO I am the worst employee. Just last month I almost got into a fight with a customer and they ended up sending me home early. Also If I was a great employee I wouldn't tell you guys how to break your shit and get away with it !

Thank You

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Re: ....................

SickAssCivicXX said:

THIS SHOULD HELP YOU.

haha man thanks ....... that info would help me out alot..... however i already sent my laptop in for service..... what i did was got a big ass magnet from some 15inch subwoofers and opened the laptop from the bottom and let it sit there for like half an hour and thren while it was still on there turned it on... needless to say it didn't turn on but the screen did come on though and it said bad disk.... so im guessing that MAYBE only the hard drive went bad ....... they didn't devo it but they did send it out to one of their service centers in atlanta, georgia.... im waiting for it to come back... they said it would take up to 2 weeks....... thanks for the ideas however.... maybe if it didn't work this time ill try again in a few months or so ... hehe later

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.