Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tommrow I'm going to check out this Civic a guy has for sell. Its a 5th gen Civic hatch (not sure if CX or DX) but supposedly he swapped a B18 VTEC into it. The car is $3500, he said I can pay payments, but I need $800 up front. My question is what should I check for to see if it acutally is a B18 and vtec?

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
capn said:
well on most honda engines the engine code is stamped on front here

but thats a D series engine if the engine is a B sereis it will look something more like this

capn

PS on the stapming there will be an engine code that will say (if it is a Bseris) B18C1 or B18__ whatever it is
Thanks for the quality reply Capn.... ya couldn't have made it anymore clear.:D

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
word, $3500 sounds a bit low, so i would definately check for any malfunctions w/ t3h engine, also make sure he has ALL paperwork to prove that his shit is legit, etc

·
Registered
372 Posts
Moon Ill said:
Tommrow I'm going to check out this Civic a guy has for sell. Its a 5th gen Civic hatch (not sure if CX or DX) but supposedly he swapped a B18 VTEC into it. The car is $3500, he said I can pay payments, but I need $800 up front. My question is what should I check for to see if it acutally is a B18 and vtec?
oh my god.... u are not serious are u?

Look at the block ( the big gray thing the head sits on) if it says B18C1 and there are 2 cams... it is a swapped motor... if it says D15, and it only has 1 cam... it is stock) hope that helps.

·
Registered
39 Posts
sorry dont mean to thread jack, but since a picture of an engine bay is already up. capn, wat is that tubing right in front of the exhaust manifold and dipstick?? (those two black hoses)

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Re: Re: How to check if motors is swapped (B18 vetc in a Civ)

ricertypeR said:
oh my god.... u are not serious are u?

Look at the block ( the big gray thing the head sits on) if it says B18C1 and there are 2 cams... it is a swapped motor... if it says D15, and it only has 1 cam... it is stock) hope that helps.

some people don't know this shit man, lay offa him, dont forget it could also be an LS/VTEC or a B18c5, not all b18's w/ vtec are GSR motors :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
twistd said:
sorry dont mean to thread jack, but since a picture of an engine bay is already up. capn, wat is that tubing right in front of the exhaust manifold and dipstick?? (those two black hoses)

those are the A/C lines, they carry the freon, why do you ask?

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
temp03 said:
word, $3500 sounds a bit low, so i would definately check for any malfunctions w/ t3h engine, also make sure he has ALL paperwork to prove that his shit is legit, etc
Word up... especially in california....

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
slackerdogg19 said:
Word up... especially in california....
yeah.....d00d there is a lot of shady shit here in cali

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
temp03 said:
yeah.....d00d there is a lot of shady shit here in cali
agreed... got my car smogged again... this time it just failed.... too much HC... gotta get that fixed...

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
slackerdogg19 said:
agreed... got my car smogged again... this time it just failed.... too much HC... gotta get that fixed...

you are running t3h rich

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
temp03 said:
you are running t3h rich
That is what the smog guy said... any suggestions on how I can fix it [other than replacing my header with the OEM one...]

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
slackerdogg19 said:
That is what the smog guy said... any suggestions on how I can fix it [other than replacing my header with the OEM one...]

hahah almost guarantee that will solve the problem, you have a DC header right?

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
temp03 said:
hahah almost guarantee that will solve the problem, you have a DC header right?
lol... yeah I do.... i kinda don't wanna go to HAP and get a OEM header so I can have it on for about a whole 4 hours...

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
slackerdogg19 said:
lol... yeah I do.... i kinda don't wanna go to HAP and get a OEM header so I can have it on for about a whole 4 hours...

don't have a friend that has an OEM one sitting in their garage?

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
slackerdogg19 said:
nah... friends have EM1's and teg's.... all B-series stuff... :mad:

that sucks.........

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
have an aftermarket intake? still have the stock airbox? what is the max HC reading allowed and what was your reading?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts