Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a ’00 EX, and after about one year I started to get some vibration in the steering wheel and pulling to the left. An alignment did not fix this, it turned out that the tie rods needed to be adjusted. With that done no problem at all. Now, after another 6 months the same thing is starting to happen… I get some vibration in the steering at over 70-mph. There is no pulling to either side. The steering is fine. The vibration is also fairly slight. It annoys the heck out of me though. I have used stock wheels, and 2 after market wheels… Same problem with them. I took the car back to the dealership and they are telling me that nothing is wrong, and there is just nothing that they can fix for me. Is this just the car getting older, or can this be corrected? I wish that the steering were stiffer and more sensitive, and not vibrating. If you have an earlier model year civic, is your car doing this too? My last car did it, but it was a Chevy, and it was a piece of crap… That car was so bad it was like being in a damn earthquake if I got up to 50-mph. Anyone have this problem?

· Registered
868 Posts
One of your rims might be bent slightly. Thats why it probably shakes just a bit and not too much. I had this issue with one of my rims, it shook at high speeds. Just try buying a new rim or taking it somewhere (like your nearest tire store) and have them check the wheel balance and the straightness of your rim.

· Registered
296 Posts
Mine car shakes when I brake at all at high speeds. What is wrong with my shit?

I had the same problem about shaking period over like 70 mph - your wheels are not balanced just right - go have them fixed.

· Registered
868 Posts
You might have warped rotors...that might explain the shaking when you brake from high speeds....I have the same problem - friends keep telling me to get it fixed, especially since I will have that b16 in my car this weekend..... :)

· Registered
806 Posts
GroundControl said:
Mine car shakes when I brake at all at high speeds. What is wrong with my shit?

I had the same problem about shaking period over like 70 mph - your wheels are not balanced just right - go have them fixed.
i've got the same problems. i think discount tire bent one of my rims when they tried to put a tire on a while back. i guess thats why then.

· Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have new rims and new tires, and I had the vibration before I ever got the new rims. So I don’t think that my problem has to do with the wheels or tires… When I break, it doesn’t really shake at all.

· Registered
204 Posts
when they do an alignment, that's what they do, adjust the tie rod ends. your problem could stem from many things, including your imagination. i have a vibration in my car right now cause i flat spotted the tires autocrossing. maybe you have a similar problem.

· Registered
66 Posts
have you ever hit anything?

Try moving the rim where it shakes to another side of the car that way you'll know if its the rim or not.

Are you sure they actually aligned your car? Did you see the spec sheet when they were done? Compare it to the stock specs for toe, camber, caster etc...

Is your car lowered? If so, then without a camber kit, they can NEVER align your rims correctly.

One suggestion is that one of your axles might be bent. Or have you had your CV boots looked at lately? They could be going bad and causing the vibration. My car vibrates when I get on the gas cause of a slighty bent axle. I just deal with it.

If it only happens when you brake, your rotors are warped.

peace.

· Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok!

Wow, that's good advice. Thanks a lot. I am starting to put 2 and 2 together now. I am going to have the car lowered soon. I ordered my stuff today. So after everything is installed, I'll have it aligned and make sure that I know what the results of the alignment are. I know it's not my wheels, because I already rotated them. If the alignment doesn’t help, then maybe it's the axle... But I'll think about that later. Thanks for the tip!

· Registered
15 Posts
It could be your struts, I had a problem with vibration for the longest. I found out my rims were bent, but then I got new rims and tires and it will vibrating even when I was I braking. Get your struts checked out. I had mine checked out and that's what they said the problem was. So I'm getting the KYB AGX struts this week. Hope you get your problem fixed.

· Registered
1,104 Posts
well lets think about this gentlemen.....

your car is moving at the rate of 70+ miles an hour. Your tire is making at LEAST 70 revoloutions a minute. Now what kind of shaking are you talking about? Is it so bad where your hand is shaking off of the steering wheel? I mean, you are going INCREDIBLY fast compared to 20 miles per hour. You get what I'm trying to say, if your running at 15 miles and hour your body is going to move around and vibrate. Like imagine you having a cd player in your hands, a portable one and your running and the fucking thing is skipping like crazy... well what do you expect, your running and not walking, you get what I'm saying, that lil shaking is normal, I mean, at least 10 people say the same thing is happening to them, its happening to me too... but its normal !!! :D so don't worry to much about it :D :D :D

· Registered
209 Posts
If u brake and there is a voilent shaking at high speeds. Then it's most likely the rotors. Mine were wraped and I took it to the honda dealership for them to check it out. They told me it was the problem and were going to charge me $252.00 for them to resurface them. I later took my car to the Sears automotive ceter and they only charged me $80.00 for them. No problem ever since, and it has been about 2-3 months. This might also be a good time to check your bracks pads.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.