Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im a rookie to this stuff and just wana know how I can affordibly get more horsepower ,and faster acelleration out of my 96 honda accord. Im already going to put a AEM short ram intake into it. Any sugesstions.

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
Yep... you pour a thousand dollars into that thing and you'll be running mid 16s in no time.

·
Registered
47 Posts
dont bullshit jus turbo a good 1600 wouldnt hurt to be in the 14's

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
Sirfallsalot243 said:
Not bad when youre starting out with a $3000 car. ;)
I guess it depends which $3000 car you're talking about. A person could get an old LT1 Camaro/Firbird for that. And $1000 = easy mid 12s on those.

·
Registered
6,969 Posts
Nathan123 said:
I guess it depends which $3000 car you're talking about. A person could get an old LT1 Camaro/Firbird for that. And $1000 = easy mid 12s on those.
Very true. But to be honest, im sick of the V8 vs I4 debate.

Apples to oranges. People dont race 125cc dirtbikes against 500cc bikes. They dont race Funny cars vs top fuel drag's. So why should we compare cars that are so different? They really are separate "classes."

·
Registered
49,788 Posts
Nathan123 said:

you buy one of those for 3000 bucks and youll be spending more than 1000 bucks just on body work, hope you enjoy no floor boards

at least you can roll like the flintstones used to roll

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
domscivic said:
you buy one of those for 3000 bucks and youll be spending more than 1000 bucks just on body work, hope you enjoy no floor boards

Oh, I have no doubt it'd look like shit. That's not the point of such a car, though. ;)

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
domscivic said:

:lol2 OMG, this keeps getting funnier and funnier..!!!! :clap

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Sirfallsalot243 said:
Very true. But to be honest, im sick of the V8 vs I4 debate.

Apples to oranges. People dont race 125cc dirtbikes against 500cc bikes. They dont race Funny cars vs top fuel drag's. So why should we compare cars that are so different? They really are separate "classes."
But where was the comparison on import vs domestic V8's? All I so was a post for a $3000 car with $1000 dumpted into it?

$3000 car + $1000 mods to run 16's (if even possible)
$3000 car + $1000 mods to run 12's (not even questioning)

So in terms for bang for your buck and go fast, you would choose the import? Be realistic here if going fast is all you want to do. Otherwise just do a 100 shot direct port on the car until the engine blows and then swap the engine or change to a better chassis car and start over.

Otherwise if you want to do it right, just save your money pot and do it right instead of wanting to go fast now.

BTW, megan is probably just a tad better than APC.

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
female four said:
So in terms for bang for your buck and go fast, you would choose the import? Be realistic here if going fast is all you want to do.
:Valentine

·
Registered
6,969 Posts
female four said:
But where was the comparison on import vs domestic V8's? All I so was a post for a $3000 car with $1000 dumpted into it?

$3000 car + $1000 mods to run 16's (if even possible)
$3000 car + $1000 mods to run 12's (not even questioning)

So in terms for bang for your buck and go fast, you would choose the import? Be realistic here if going fast is all you want to do. Otherwise just do a 100 shot direct port on the car until the engine blows and then swap the engine or change to a better chassis car and start over.

Otherwise if you want to do it right, just save your money pot and do it right instead of wanting to go fast now.
I guess you missed the comparison to V8's. For clarification:

Nathan123 said:
I guess it depends which $3000 car you're talking about. A person could get an old LT1 Camaro/Firebird for that. And $1000 = easy mid 12s on those.
With no doubt, for a car specifically made to go fast, youre better off starting with a rusted out V8. But how many people daily drive their car for the SOLE reason being speed? Thats not the issue at hand. I was simply saying that for a $3000 Accord + 1000, running low 16's isnt so bad.

Dollar per second, the accord is a better deal than a Corvette (no offense Nathan, just making a point).

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
SpeedySekou said:
Im a rookie to this stuff and just wana know how I can affordibly get more horsepower ,and faster acelleration out of my 96 honda accord. Im already going to put a AEM short ram intake into it. Any sugesstions.
Nevermind the other comments...they're giving you grief because you're asking a question has been covered a thousand times.

Simply use the search button.

I'll help you out this time because you have a tight avatar. :tu

First thing I noticed is that you said affordably....with that in mind, a turbo or supercharger is out the question. Those are easily 3-4 grand right there.

So you want to lean towards a slightly modded N/A street setup.

The first things people usually get are: Intake, Headers, and Exhaust. Start from there. Then maybe later upgrade the clutch and lighten up the flywheel for that acceleration you mentioned. Keep the overall weight of the car light...that means don't get heavy big rims. Instead get 17" or lower lightweight rims. The best bang for your buck is achieving a good power to weight ratio.

Goodluck with your car. Hit me up anytime if you have any questions. Remember the search button is your best friend on here.

Welcome to SHO:tu

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
Sirfallsalot243 said:
Dollar per second, the accord is a better deal than a Corvette (no offense Nathan, just making a point).
In a straight line... yeah. Anywhere else? Wouldn't bet on it.

·
Registered
6,969 Posts
Nathan123 said:
In a straight line... yeah. Anywhere else? Wouldn't bet on it.
Sure, but isnt that what we were talking about? A car specifically made to go fast?

Dont get me wrong. Im in no way saying Id rather have a accord than a vette. Id sell a nut for a vette. :lol Im just saying that for what youre buying... its not such a bad purchase. Yes, there are better alternatives out there for simply speed... But for the money, driveability, streetability, comfort, speed, etc- an Accord is a pretty good buy.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.