Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have got a 93 honda del sol esi with a remus exhaust and a friend of mine got a 93 honda civic with 90 hp with an empty selfmade exhaust. My car gets up to 220 km/h and his one too. how could I make my car go a bit faster? I pulled out some of the wool in the exhaust, but I am afraid put out more of the wool, because some people say reums exhausts could sound like an empty can with a metal ball in it. So is there any other possibilty to make my car go faster without spending money and without destroying the motor?

·
Registered
4,608 Posts
:confused :confused

ok... just to answer your question..

you want more hp without spending money.. thats going to be hard.. but here are somethings that will help..

one theoretical mod: throttle body coolant bypass
remove power steering to free up hp..its also a good arm workout too~
remove unncessary weight~ little things add up... rule of thumb: for every 100lbs you take out, you reduce your 1/4mile time about 0.1~0.2 seconds. also, if the car is lighter~ every aspect in performance of the car will increase, i,e, braking, steering, fuel milage etc...

good luck

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
to answer BlueBalls question, it is an ESI. Thx to you, but can anyone say me if I get more hp if I burn out the rest of the wool in my exhaust and how would it sound when I burn the wool out of my remus exhaust??? I think Iburn out nearly 40 % of the wool and it doesn´t sound very bad, but I am afraid to do it again, because the exhaust isn´t very cheap. Does anyone else has an idea how to get my car a bit faster in topspeed without spending much money? THX for all replies

·
Registered
168 Posts
Have you tried an Intake system they are not a lot of money and can give you anywhere form a 5-10 HP gain.

·
Registered
451 Posts
there really isnt all that much more id try taking out of your exhaust. Im not sure about your setup as all you mentioned is your exhaust. So first off take out everything in your trunk. Next do you have an automatic or manual? I really dont know that series code either. But off hand id say make sure your the better driver. And you could allways take off the belt for the a/c. Fill us in on your setup and maybe somebody can help you out more. As it stands Id say your gonna have to go with the intake. Build for the basics first than move up as you can. Ohh and change your fluids you could run a light oil that night and water weter may help keep you running cold.

·
Registered
4,608 Posts
seriously.. you have to spend money to go fast. theres really no way in going around it.. only exception would be weight reduction but you do that at the cost of your comfort.

remove AC, power steering, radio, speakers, back seats, padding, spare tires and jack, power door locks and windows, front bumper beam (you would probably die if you get into an accident w/o it)...

bottom rule:

speed = money

·
Registered
168 Posts
Time for Math

If Money + Parts = Speed

Then Parts + Money = Proformance

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thx for your replies. Here is my Setup: My Car is a Honda crx del dol esi with 92kw/125hp. it has got a manual transmission, 30mm KW springs, 15" Brock b2 rims with 195/50 tyres and a remus exhaust. There aren´t any more modifications. I think weight reduction isn´t easy to manage with this car, cause for example I can´t take out my rear seat because there aren´t any. I also want to listen to some music and I don´t want to die at an exident, so i am not going to remove the bumper beem or my stereo system. The other problem is that I live in Germany and I have to get the TÜV permission to drive my car. I also have a kind of guarantee on my honda, because I bought the car 5 month ago at a used car dealer. Therefore I can´t change anything at the intake. Every change at the exhaust is possible for me, but also not at the cat converter. The TÜV is always a reason for do not tune some parts of my car. Another question is: Why is the civic of my friend as fast as my del sol --> with only 90 hp (but with an totally empty exhaust)
If anyone has got another idea please let me know. THX and greetz to all you honda drivers, lovers and fanatics

·
Registered
872 Posts
lmao i would die in my car lol i have no front bumboer beam..it woldn't fit...yeah man you need to spend money in order to go faster there is NO way around it...i wouldn't be so concerned about it or you'll lose even more functionality of your del sol then it alreday doesn't have. You car is not a race car...its an automobile that provides transportation. like do what you want..im not flaming..by ANY means, i dont do that normally...but your del sol will NEVER be a race car...it will never be super fast its a del sol man...have fun with it..the only way it wil be fast is if you spend hardore amounts of money on it...drive your sol..it's coller than just a civic..who cares if your friend beats you?! he cant drive topless in the summer...YOU CAN!! :D

·
Registered
168 Posts
Yeah Topless is the way to go, in the hot weather not the stupid cold air that we have..

·
Registered
872 Posts
yo ur in FLORIDA..or or at leats thats what it says for location...we ahve like feet of fucking snow!! lol

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
boostaholic, nice avatar ;)

·
Registered
451 Posts
ok I figured you were in europe but I was to lazy to look up your make and model. Due to the restrictions placed on you and your car id say your gonna have to start using some underground tactics: you CAN change your intake but before anyone else gets to look at it you have to put the original back in <aka inspections and what not> If you know youve got a race coming up you COULD take the belt off your a/c or powersteering than try getting the belts back on for inspection, or say they snapped and take a file to them so it looks something like they were scrapping somewhere. Just a few ideas. As far as the civic beating you id say he must be lighter, im fairly sure civics are lighter than del sol's. Especialy if its a hatch back. Or he could be quick on the shift. Your best bet for now if you dont want to mod anything right away is try learning what the absolute optimum shift points are for your car. Make sure you are the better driver! Once you start getting better you may pull just enough performance out to win. How bad did he beat you anyways?

·
Registered
959 Posts
Only answer I can give you is that your del Sol is heavier than his Civic believe it or not. You can gain some good power without going too crazy with money, but only if you're willing to void that warranty. Until you're willing to do that forget winning your race.

·
Mowing ur Mom's lawn
2,885 Posts
ismael-robert said:
Only answer I can give you is that your del Sol is heavier than his Civic believe it or not. You can gain some good power without going too crazy with money, but only if you're willing to void that warranty. Until you're willing to do that forget winning your race.
depends on what model civic it is, but the sol probably is heavier, if you want to beat him (w/o spending money) take time and learn how to drive right, learn what your car likes and what it doesn't when shifting fast, you'll figure it out sooner or later

·
Registered
29 Posts
Whoa, yeah I agree with the above replies.

Faster car, keeping the shit you have = $

Weight reduction is the ONLY loophole!

It sucks, yes, I know. :( lol

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I know what all you guys mean, but... I beat my friend in acceleration by far. It is only the topspeed that is equal to. that is the only thing I was wondering about. I think my shifting isn´t very bad. I don´t race 1/4 mie races because they are very rare in Germany, but I tried a few times the 0-60 mph or for Europeans 0-100 km/h and I did it with my Del Sol Esi in 8,2 secs! But now I think my gearbox is damaged so I have to release the gas before shifting. If I shift for example at 7000 rpm or if shift at least at only 4500 rpm but too fast, my gearbox makes really bad sound and there is a bit of a resistant. In my opinion del sol are much more beautiful than any other civic and -you are right- it is damn nice to drive topless.

·
Mowing ur Mom's lawn
2,885 Posts
well if you guys both have the same tranny's in your car then you're going to have the same top speed, sounds to me like you did a hole shot on the stock clutch and tore the springs out of the hub :(

don't ask me how i'd know this..... :eek: :lol

turn the car off and shift through the gears, does it go right into gear with the car off? If it does it's most likely a problem with the clutch

1 - 20 of 21 Posts