Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
10,272 Posts
female four said:
Probably be easier to just buy a striaght pipe.

All it is is just a piece of pipe with flanges on each end to mount it up to where the cat use to be. What ... like $20 tops?
Agreed...also remember that even if you hollow your cat out you will still be revving through a freakin 1.75'' OEM pipe. Ughhh.

I suggest buying a 2.25'' or 2.5'' (depending on your exhaust setup and header collector size) high flow cat converter

·
Banned
1,513 Posts
Dont worry about hollowing your cat..go on ebay and get a testpipe for 20 bucks. You are only talking about 1-2 horsepower with your setup anyways. On a dyno jest when I had a stock b18c with boltons I gained 2 ponys from testpipe. It only made a difference after I built it and was running high compression then it gave me a difference of 7 hp.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i got it hollow and put it on and drive it it sounds like shit it makes a radle sound i got anotherone that stock i might just put that in or put a pipe right thought the hollow one and make it a stright pipe u rhink i can do that

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
96civichx said:
i got it hollow and put it on and drive it it sounds like shit it makes a radle sound i got anotherone that stock i might just put that in or put a pipe right thought the hollow one and make it a stright pipe u rhink i can do that
Thats because doing it that way sucks.

·
Registered
11,248 Posts
there is no difference in performance between a hollowed out oem cat and a quality high flow cat. However a hollowed cat is illegal and sounds like crap. And actually a quality high flow cat will probably outperform a hollowed out cat because you can get an aftermarket cat in the correct diameter.

Also if you are obd2 (96 and later model civics), then your gas mileage will really suffer as well.

·
Registered
240 Posts
female four said:
You don't need FI do use a test pipe. Race cars don't even use it... they do open header.
N/A cars will see small gains from a high flow cat,so you could use one if you want,but in reality it is a waste of money.................also i never mentioned test pipes,i said you only really need a aftermarket cat if you have a turbo ect.

·
Banned
1,513 Posts
Like I said hollowing your cat is a shitty option and its a half assed way to save you 20 bucks on a test pipe. Just get a testpipe thats the right diameter for your exhaust system and you'll gain around 2 hp. DO NOT change ANYTHING with the CAT if you are running OBD-2. You will have a secondary o2 sensor check engine light and shitty mpg.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.