Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i need some tips on how to maintain a black car??

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
hate to tell you...but black sucks to maintain...after u wash and wax your ride...the spring pollen and shit will be right back on the surface...i suggest using a car duster for after u wash and wax...usually this does the job.

also u gotta watch out for the swirls marks...they show up real easily...use like a chamoie (sp?) or one of those absorbers to dry ur car...

peace

·
Registered
61 Posts
If you live anywhere that they put sand/salt on the roads you are going to get swirls. Don't use a duster, it will just lead to more swirls. Make sure you rinse the car off as best as you can before washing it. Get a micro fiber drying towel, make sure you clean it regularly(no fabric softener). And keep a good coat of wax on it at all times(you will still need to use a swirl remover from time to time though).

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
i was referring to using the duster after washing, as in to get those pollen particles off...i've never seen any swirling after using the car duster

·
Registered
72 Posts
tell me about it black sucks so bad when it comes to dirt... the parking lot at my job is next door to a huge ass lot where they process mulch and woodchips... WHAT A NIGHTMARE:mad: friday after work i wash and wax and wax and wax and monday by 3pm its friggin DOGGED

·
Registered
87 Posts
I must admit that Having a black car sucks sometimes cause it gets dirty too fast but when you do wash it it looks tight. :D Especially at night!...Just make sure to have a duster handy.

·
Registered
51 Posts
wash the car in the shade, the sun will make swirl marks on the finish. if you have swirl marks then rent a good buffer/polisher (not that wall mart crap), use rubbing compound followed by finish restorer, microfinishing glaze, and a good wax. i promise after that you'll either have that mirror shine seen in car shows or you buffed to long and your car finish will be ruined.

·
Registered
258 Posts
A black or dark colored vehicle is perhaps the most high maintenance when it comes to detailing. Perhaps the best way to minimize swirls is to use a buffer a DA (Dual Action) buffer. Remember the saying "Having the right tools is half the job" the same is true in washing and maintaining a spotless vehicle.

I use the following:

Dual Action Buffer (I use one made by Porter Cable)
Foam Pads
Swirl remover 2.0 #9 (I use this every other time I detail)
Meguiars show car glaze #7 (polish)
Meguiars Hi-tech yellow wax #26

* After the car has been carefully washed and dried (use a chamois) apply a light non abrasive polish/cleaner with a foam pad or a very fine terry cloth. Application can be done by hand or a buffer I personally use a dual action(DA) buffer and this is perhaps the best way to minimize swirls and its a lot less labor intense ;)

*True polish does not need to dry to a haze like wax so after spreading the polish evenly on the surfaces wipe off excess. On cars that have a clear coat you'll begin to notice a shining glaze as you wipe away the polish on older cars or cars that don't have a clear coat layer it will take more polish to bring out the shine.

*Wax, a lot of consumers mistaken wax as polish and vice versa. The truth is that wax is a protectant it protects the paint against UV rays and the polish from washing away. Rule of thumb, polish shines and wax protects.

*Applying wax should always be by hand with a foam pad. Use a carnuba wax and apply evenly (exactly like applying polish). After application wait approx 15-20 minutes until the wax has a hazing appearance and wipe off excess with a ultra fine polish cloth. This is necessary because any other type of cloth is abrasive enough to create more swirls as you're removing the wax.

This is just detailing a dark vehicle in a nutshell if you have questions feel free to ask. :)

·
Registered
39,372 Posts
rinse and dry your car everyday in the shade, and follow that up with a spray wax 3-4 times a week. i have a black car, and this "maintains" it between waxings.

·
Registered
757 Posts
The ultimate drying tool..... the california water blade, i can dry my car in less than 2 mins with this thing. I would reccommend to anybody.

·
Registered
660 Posts
sKzoFrENiX said:
tell me about it black sucks so bad when it comes to dirt... the parking lot at my job is next door to a huge ass lot where they process mulch and woodchips... WHAT A NIGHTMARE:mad: friday after work i wash and wax and wax and wax and monday by 3pm its friggin DOGGED
why don't you get a car cover?

·
Registered
129 Posts
BPMagna said:
why don't you get a car cover?
He probably doesnt want to look like an anal douche bag...who covers their car at work??

·
Registered
19 Posts
The first thing you should do is clay your car so that when you do protect your finish, it is covering the cleanest surface possible.
Here's a great "How To" article:

http://www.bettercarcare.com/articles.php?articleId=14

There are alot of great products out there to choose from. I am biased toward polymer coatings (particularly 5 Star Shine since I am a rep) instead of wax. They both fill in existing swirl marks but polymers will last much much longer.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts