Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys. I’m going to install the car DVD by myself. I wanna get it done and make it work perfectly. It’s so embarrassed to say that I don’t have many mechanical experiences. But I have searched some information from the Internet. Some said I don’t have to be a professional, and I have to do is to follow the instruction.
I’m looking for some tips to help me with it. And the exact position for the device is the dashboard of the front seats. Is it real complicated to mount it? What about the tools? Hope you guys can provide me some useful information.

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
Why spend money on a DVD player for a car when you can get a laptop? Where are you trying to mount this DVD player? You also realize police will pull you over for having the thing on while your driving right?

A laptop can do so much more. So why not get one and get a new radio/cd deck with an aux input for it so the sound plays through the cars stereo.

I wouldn't install one in my car unless it was some kind of show car.

·
Registered
12 Posts
wowsers, is this for real ? Morts, do you have ANY experience with car audio ? DVD players offer significantly higher S/N ratios - ever heard of DVD-A ? I have had a DVD player in my car for like 2-3 years now, I think a have watched like part of one DVD while at a drive-thru. Maybe you need to step into the 21st century.

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
wowsers, is this for real ? Morts, do you have ANY experience with car audio ? DVD players offer significantly higher S/N ratios - ever heard of DVD-A ? I have had a DVD player in my car for like 2-3 years now, I think a have watched like part of one DVD while at a drive-thru. Maybe you need to step into the 21st century.

Are you serious?

Did you not see my signature? Go look at Http://www.bcae1.com Tell me you know everything ther(including full version site) , then you can talk smack to me.

Dvd sucks balls? Where are you? Did you know we have this new thing called BLU-Ray? I seriously doubt your indash midget LCD alpine dvd player can match even mediocre laptops of today.

·
Registered
779 Posts
dont take this the wrong way, but depending on what knind you get youre lookin at
600+ dollars. they easily get over $1k... why not save yourself the huge headache and go to your local bestbuy/car audio shop and have them do it legit for a couple hundred extra. you'll probably thank yourself in the long.

·
Registered
12 Posts
wow, you think bcae is the end all/be all of car audio ? That place was popular back in the mid 90's .. looking at some of that stuff is kind of like looking back at grade school material though. Now Richard Clarks' tech briefs (out about the same time period), they had some interesting and new material.

Why in the world would I want a blu ray player in a car ? as mentioned, I have only WATCHED a short part of one DVD on it. When you actually learn a little bit about standards, you will know that DVD players must have (or at least supposed have) a fiber optic audio output. I need that for my setup because my processor tends to have a noise floor with the analog audio inputs.

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
wow, you think bcae is the end all/be all of car audio ? That place was popular back in the mid 90's .. looking at some of that stuff is kind of like looking back at grade school material though. Now Richard Clarks' tech briefs (out about the same time period), they had some interesting and new material.

Why in the world would I want a blu ray player in a car ? as mentioned, I have only WATCHED a short part of one DVD on it. When you actually learn a little bit about standards, you will know that DVD players must have (or at least supposed have) a fiber optic audio output. I need that for my setup because my processor tends to have a noise floor with the analog audio inputs.

Beyond BCAE? You probably never heard of the site before I mentioned it. Your attitude represents the belief that you have electrical and car audio knowledge. Mid 90's eh? So what when virtually no one used the internet or had any idea what the difference between a 14.4k modem or a 56k modem was other than the fact that it has a higher number? When more than 1/2 the US didn't even have internet in their house or public library's? The site bcae1.com was supposedly popular then? Your so full of shit.

Heres some beyond electrical: What rubber compound is best for the outside rim of speaker cones and why? Don't talk to me about car audio, I was building high and low pass filters more than 10 years ago from scavenged parts.

I've built industrial electronics and rebuilt military IR search lights mounted on tanks. I'd bet you like MDF for car audio boxes too?

The fact that you have only watched a short parts of one dvd(average dvd being 1.75 hours- so a short part being 15 minutes??) on it and you have had it for 2-3 years shows how worthwhile your investment was.

What a waste of time an money just to say "hey i got this DVD player in my car! I can only make good use of in drive thru's heck I haven't even finished a movie in over 2 years of having it, but isn't it :cool ?

This makes me :confused . Not only have you failed to use a device that cost a fair amount of money, but the police can/will write you a ticket if its on while someone in the passenger seat is watching it while your on a road trip doing nothing more than driving. - You know everyone wants to squint at a midget screen while driving on the road to be entertained by a dvd player in your dash.:rolleyes

·
Registered
12 Posts
I was doing the same stuff in late 70's/80's - not sure anyone uses passive crossover in the car anymore, at least not at competitions. My first 3 or 4 systems had cassette decks - because the car CD player had not been invented. I bought one of the first car CD players on the market. The copyright on the home page of BCAE says 1998-2008, sorry it has been SOOOO long since I have read thru it that I could remember exactly how old it was. A group of us on other web sites actually took the time to write in for a bunch of corrections to the site way back when. Just out of curiosity, do you even know who Richard Clark is ? He put out a series of tech briefs that covered a LOT of more advanced topics from like 1991-95 or so (I just looked at the notbook), maybe that's what confused me on the years

I guess reading comprehension is not high on your abilities set so I will repeat it again, the DVD player was for the optical outputs (you do know what thiose are, right?). The other reason is that the touch screen display allows me to make adjustments to the processor without getting the controller out. I guess I didn't mention that I am an active competitor on the car stereo circuit as well.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.