Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need help ASAP. i was offered by some guy a hood(carbonfiber) for my del sol. He says less than $100, he also says its in a good condition. I got a bit suspicous considering that they cost a lot. Now if i go check it out what should i look for? if its real or fake? Help WANTED. Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
49,788 Posts
91Vtec said:
I need help ASAP. i was offered by some guy a hood(carbonfiber) for my del sol. He says less than $100, he also says its in a good condition. I got a bit suspicous considering that they cost a lot. Now if i go check it out what should i look for? if its real or fake? Help WANTED. Thanks

im not to sure.. but i would see how heavy or light it is
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK, but the bad thing....i dont know how much a stock hood weights or how i should compare them. anyone know about how much a stock hood weights
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
265 Posts
you should be able to see the fabric weave of the fiber on front and back side. as for weight you should be able to get a decent estimate just by lifting it when its in place. don't think i've ever seen a fake carbon fiber hood.
 
  • Like
Reactions: 91Vtec

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
k, i try those out. thanks. i hope i dont get riped off. Another thing he says it was for a 93, it should fit my 94 considering its a del sol?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,784 Posts
dude........ ive never heard of a fake CF hood......

look at it, you can see into the gelcoat and be able to see the CF weaves in and out of eath other......im sure its a real cf hood.....


dif in quality might be the cost discrepancey

look at the edges..they should be rolled not cut
and the supports under the hood should be pretty sturdy
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Gotcha, ill do that. When you mean rolled you mean rounded, so if i see a jadged edge(not the singer) than i should reject it or at least get it cheaper?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,231 Posts
91Vtec said:
Gotcha, ill do that. When you mean rolled you mean rounded, so if i see a jadged edge(not the singer) than i should reject it or at least get it cheaper?
All the CF hoods i seen are 90% Fiberglass with a layer of CF over it. VIS makes damn good hoods but look closely under and its all cross-matt Fiberglass. But any light weight hood for under $100..... GEEEEEEEETTTT IIIITT!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,784 Posts
Kabooki said:
All the CF hoods i seen are 90% Fiberglass with a layer of CF over it. VIS makes damn good hoods but look closely under and its all cross-matt Fiberglass. But any light weight hood for under $100..... GEEEEEEEETTTT IIIITT!


agreed........you cant beat the price...even if its kinda a POS
and yes when i say rolled i mean rounded off....it should have the CF wrapped around the edges.......although i doubt you will be getting a very good hood for 100....it will probably have cut edges and only have CF on the outside
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top