Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The main bit of advice I have for painting with aerosols would be to warm the can(s). This enables the paint to be atomised finer as it passes through the nozzle, which results in a better finish. Bare in mind I said warm, DO NOT overheat, you are taking the chill off the can, not risking losing a hand due to an aerosol exploding while you hold it.
Make sure you give the can(s) a good shake before using them. The best technique for painting with an aerosol is to use light, overlapping strokes. You need to leave at least 5 minutes between coats to give the solvents in the paint time to evaporate. This time can be cut by using a hairdryer. I would recommend either wearing a mask or going outside for this next bit, the vapours can be dangerous.

First apply the plastic primer, I would highly recommend you use this as it will give the paint something more to stick to than just the light ‘key’ scratches. You could skip the plastic primer stage, but if the part gets chipped the paint will start to flake off.

You may need to apply 3/4 coats of plastic primer, but you can use a hairdryer to speed the process of drying. Remember, a light coat often is better than a heavy coat less often. Plastic primer is generally quite thin, so be careful not to get any ‘runs’.

Once the plastic primer is dry it’s time to apply the basecoat. Again, use light overlapping strokes. Depending on the colour, it may take anything from 3 to 8 coats to cover. Again, make sure you leave enough time between coats.
Once the colour has completely covered the part, you can start to apply the lacquer. This is not a necessity, but it helps to protect the basecoat and adds a shine (if you chose gloss lacquer).

Apply this the same way as the basecoat gradually building up the thickness of the lacquer. You’ll probably need about 4 or 5 coats of lacquer.

Leave the part for a good 3 or 4 hours before you try to polish and re-fit it. There is nothing worse than marking fresh paintwork.

Good Luck :)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Anyways ok ok I understand painting faded pieces back to black, but as a complete color change, DO NOT DO IT, i have before and it eventually turns into a mess and is more hassle then it's worth (being scared of scraping the paint off, dis assembling the interior).

If you do want to paint your interior I would recommend the SEM line of products. It's made for plastics and vinyl and is a flexible coating. I wouldn't use any krylon plastic or any of the duplicolor junk (I've used it, it sucks). SEM is the way to go if you need to paint interior parts.

·
Premium Member
6,822 Posts
NEVER paint the interior it WILL crack, and peel, if you need new shit get it from a scrapyard or buy it new, or ebay it....i painted an interior once, and i know probly 3 or 4 other ppl who did it as well, it never lasted more than a year you will get chips, flakes, bubbles, just dont do it, it all comes dwn to the armor all or other shiny product you put in your car or the owner before you put in there

·
Registered
5,366 Posts
NEVER paint the interior it WILL crack, and peel, if you need new shit get it from a scrapyard or buy it new, or ebay it....i painted an interior once, and i know probly 3 or 4 other ppl who did it as well, it never lasted more than a year you will get chips, flakes, bubbles, just dont do it, it all comes dwn to the armor all or other shiny product you put in your car or the owner before you put in there
thats true. when i painted my interior it chipped within a year and i had to touch it up. it still chips from time to time.

·
Registered
864 Posts
I painted a couple of interior pieces 2 years ago and they havent chipped at all yet. You can poke it with a screwdriver or try to scratch it and it doesn't come off. You just have to know what you're doing.

·
Premium Member
6,822 Posts
I painted a couple of interior pieces 2 years ago and they havent chipped at all yet. You can poke it with a screwdriver or try to scratch it and it doesn't come off. You just have to know what you're doing.
considering i used to detail cars which included painting and dyeing things....id say i DO know what im doing, the effort it takes, is just not worth the result

·
Registered
621 Posts
considering i used to detail cars which included painting and dyeing things....id say i DO know what im doing, the effort it takes, is just not worth the result
i did my interior 3 years ago and it still looks as clean as it did when i first did it. You just got to know how to do it.

·
Registered
161 Posts
i did my interior 3 years ago and it still looks as clean as it did when i first did it. You just got to know how to do it.
Fail. I'm with the majority here and I say that painting you rinterior is fucking ghey, and lets everybody know you are a fucking ricer. It's a horrible idea, no if ands or buts about it. Its hideous period, and besides, when you do this, you create a less safe driving environment by causing a glare, regaurdless of what color you use if its anything but the matte black/grey usually found in your car. EPIC fail.

·
Registered
161 Posts
yeah im ganna paint my teggys interior when i get it...it has ugly tan interior and i want black
black is kosher. I'm so sick, after like 8 years of seeing the shit, the GOD DAMN WHITE! (vomit)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yeah, I would also say don’t paint the interiors of your car unless and until it is pretty much required. Well I would like to mention some of the points, which one should keep in mind before detailing its interiors and they are
• Firstly you should be well aware of how to paint your car and what all things you require for this purpose.
• Start with the dashboard, remove component like radio knobs, shift knobs etc. and wash them well. After this use blow dryer to make them dry and to remove moisture from it.
• Tape off the areas with products like painter’s masking tape where you don’t want to paint.
• Choose the paint which is non toxic and non flammable.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts