Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend's 92 lude got trashed and he's giving me the H22 in it. He bought it from a fellow marine preswapped and got the paperwork. He later lost it. We know the engine is legal but how do I go about proving it? What's the process? TIA.

·
Registered
579 Posts
normally legality does not come into play until the Japanese Gov. realizes your trying to ship an engine out of the country they don't want you to have. If your in possesion of the engine right now than your in the clear.

He may have heard rumors about skylines (etc...) and other top notch Japanese engines being illegal to have in the states. Its not by any means illegal to have suchs engines stateside, its just illegal to ship the engines off Japanese shore. (it still happens though :) )

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No no, I want papers in case I have to sell the engine and also if I ever go to do emissions or get pulled over by police, I'd like to have paperwork that shows the engine is legal and not stolen. As for japan spec engine like the skyline ones and such, those come from importers with papers anyways.

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
wipeout97 said:
Why on earth do you need papers for the engine to prove its not been stolen. Grab the Vin off the engine and pull your own paperwork bro.
I know in CA its not uncommon for police to pull over fixed up cars and ask for paperwork on swapped motors, as there are alot of "hot" motors around here. I remember a few years back there was a car show here and police officers came into the show and questioned owners of vehicles on the legallity of their engines.

·
Registered
38 Posts
yea, i agree, the best thing to do is hit up the DMV

·
Super Ban-Finger Mod
21,366 Posts
dmv aint gonna have shit on the vin except that the car the motor came from is no longer registered for public roads.

NOBODY runs vins on motors. they do check for BAR stickers though. if you don't have a BAR sticker, then it's not a legal swap. do a search for this in the pacific forum.

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
does NY even have a BAR?

dmv will not give him any vin info but they will give him better advice on what he should do then anyone on here.

if the motor is stolen it will be ceased as evidence, if its not hot then i dont see any problems. do they check the vin when you do your state inspections? im sure people have had replacement motors put in before and lost the papers. or poeple who buy blocks from other people online on web forums... shouldnt be uncommon.

·
Super Ban-Finger Mod
21,366 Posts
it isn't uncommon. this has been going on since the inception of cars almost. it's just a silly rumor going around trying to get kids to stop swapping. it may have happened a handful of times, but it's too few and far between to be worried about. remember, you're innocent until proven guilty.

i think NY may have a similar agency as california's BAR. from what i hear, NY's smog checking is getting as stringent as cali's.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts