·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this was a very easy install. prolly rates a 2.5 on the hardness scale

what you'll need:
-civic radiator from 92-96 or 97-00
-civic radiator fan from matching year (i'm not sure whether there's any
differences between them, but just to make sure)
-civic lower radiator hose
-10mm ratchet and/or open-ended wrench
-power drill and bits
-screwdrivers
-new coolant (not needed, i used my old coolant)
-common sense ;)

steps:
-take off lower splash sheild, held in with 6-8 bolts (don't forget one in
each wheel well)
-undo radiator cap
-drain coolant into bucket by turning the drain valve on the bottom of rad.
-take out the 4 bolts holding the 2 rad. brackets on the top of the rad.
support
-take out the 2 bolts holding the AC line bracket on, and remove the bracket.
-shake radiator to drain excess coolant.
-slide coolant reservior off of battery housing.
-take off upper rad. hose by sliding the spring hose clamps down hose and
prying the ends of the hosing off w/ a flathead
-unclip the 4 connectors for the fans.
-undo the spring hose clamp on the lower rad. hose on the end attached to
the block.

-take a beer break

-slide the lower rad. hose under the AC lines so you will be able to pull
the radiator out.
-pull the radiator out.
-spill excess coolant onto self. :bash
-take 4 bolts off the prelude rad. and fan assembly, and use them to
attach the civic fan to the radiator.
-take reservior off prelude assembly, put onto civic assem.
-lower civic rad. + fan into car, and place on the left-side radiator support.
-use one of the stock radiator brackets to hold the civic rad. on. you should be able to line the left hole in the bracket up with one of the holes for the AC line bracket on the rad support, but your gonna hafta drill out the second hole.
-take the civic rad. hosing. one end should be bent perfectly to be able to use as the entire upper rad hose. figure out which end you can attach to the top hose nipple on the rad and to the end on the block. trim excess hose.
-put stock PRELUDE lower rad. hosing on, but only attach to the block. see how the other end bends away from the lower nipple on the radiator?? trim about 3-4 inches off the hosing. cut a 5-6 inch section off the remaining civic hose, and attach into prelude hosing via silicone glue, hose clamps, whichever you prefer.
-make sure all ends of radiator hosing are secured good with hose clamps.
-make sure drain valve is CLOSED. on mine, i had to spin it all the way OUT to close it, not IN like i thought. this resulted in spilling a couple ounces of coolant
-fill coolant
-put rad cap on
-wedge the coolant reservior on the right side of the rad, in between the thick cross member on the bottom, and the AC condenser.

-stand back and stare at all the room you just opened up for a turbo. mwaaahahahaha :D

this is stock, and the 6 bolts you gotta take off the rad. support.

and finished.

where i threw the reservior...

mucho nicer :D

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
pics of process would be nice.... but good DIY.

also, what's the point in putting the civic radiator in the 'lude? noticed any difference in cooling capability?

edit:
stand back and stare at all the room you just opened up for a turbo
ahh nevermind, there's a reason.

·
Registered
704 Posts
IMO a smaller radiator isnt the best way to make room under the hood, especially for boost...theres a reason the ludes have a much larger radiator than those lil 1.6 liter civics...and thats on a stock car....u wanna make room for a big snail? slide your battery over to the left and run ur snail in that direction...

·
Registered
8,605 Posts
Look up the capacity of a civic radiator.. then do the same for the prelude.. I'm pretty sure after doing so you'll realize you made a mistake.

edit:

also how hard is it to use new coolant and flush your system out when your changing the rad? It takes like 10 minutes and its good preventitive maint. on the car.. come on dude someone needs to :bash you over the head.

·
Registered
49,788 Posts
Paperchasin said:
IMO a smaller radiator isnt the best way to make room under the hood, especially for boost...theres a reason the ludes have a much larger radiator than those lil 1.6 liter civics...and thats on a stock car....u wanna make room for a big snail? slide your battery over to the left and run ur snail in that direction...
incase you didnt notice.. the intake is in the way..

but you could always relocate it to the back :p

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
taken from Hawkze over on H-T, who inspired me to do this..
"I plan to boost this car so I'm concerned about it also, but I've seen many boosted H22s in hatches and such that still run the stock Civic rad without problems. I think you would be safe."

i'm also planning on a battery relocation very soon to the trunk, so that'll gimme PLENTY of room, not for the snail, but for the snails intake filter ;)

·
Registered
49,788 Posts
twokexlv6coupe said:
"I plan to boost this car so I'm concerned about it also, but I've seen many boosted H22s in hatches and such that still run the stock Civic rad without problems. I think you would be safe."
hey thats a good point :number1

would have never thought of it that way

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
again, this is taken from Hawkze. and he lives in TEXASS!!
i'm in jersey

"Hey, just to give you guys an update, I have been driving with the half-radiator for a while now and have not had any overheating problems at all. This is in Texas heat and occasional traffic. I did end up having to mount the fan on the front of the rad pusher style because the POS directions were written wrong, but it works great other than that. "

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
"h23 vs h22 radiator isnt the problem, many people run the tiny ass civic radiators which are like half the size of lude/accord radiators with no cooling problems whatsoever"

·
Registered
14,553 Posts
on another note. if you got a koyo radiator for a civic it would probably be close to the same capacity as a stock prelude radiator due to the extra thickness.

i was thinking about doing this but i think the whole radiators look better and im not going turbo so theres really no point lol

·
Registered
704 Posts
digink said:
Look up the capacity of a civic radiator.. then do the same for the prelude.. I'm pretty sure after doing so you'll realize you made a mistake.
altho the radiator capacity may be the same, a civic radiator has much less surface cooling area than the prelude radiator does...surface area plays a large role in cooling efficiency as well...according to the dimensions that i found, the 2 cars have similar radiator height dimension but the prelude was wider than the civic by over 10 inches, thats approx. 132 square inches of cooling surface...

·
Registered
49,788 Posts
Paperchasin said:
altho the radiator capacity may be the same, a civic radiator has much less surface cooling area than the prelude radiator does...surface area plays a large role in cooling efficiency as well...according to the dimensions that i found, the 2 cars have similar radiator height dimension but the prelude was wider than the civic by over 10 inches, thats approx. 132 square inches of cooling surface...
but if you had read from the previous posts, there are civics out that that run turbo'd h22's.. and they have to use the civic radiator, and they run just fine

·
Registered
39 Posts
Glad I could inspire you :clap

And for what it's worth, it's about 105 here during the day and I see 190 degrees while cruising and 210 degrees MAX when I'm sitting still and my fan kicks on. :D

I have an aftermarket aluminum rad, so I guess a stock Civic rad could run a little hotter....

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
is there any correlation between the size of the radiator, and how effective AC is???
cuz my car was blowing HOTT air the entire way home.

it doesn't help that jersey is having a record-breaking heat wave right now either :bash :mad

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
NEVERRRMINDDDDDDDD

im a dumbass.

the LAST and FINAL step (if your keeping AC) is to connnect these two connectors, which i forgot to do on like one of the hottest days ever :bash

·
Registered
41 Posts
^^^hahaha, thats a good step to follow. I am going to attempt this modifcation quite soon because my project prelude is in the works without a working radiator. Though, I guess that means its gonna run a bit more money since I have to start searching for Civic parts rather than Prelude parts. Oh and my car keeps overheating now, I'm beginning to think its the radiator since I just changed my t-stat a few days ago. I'll have to start this mod quite soon while we are still in the hottest days of summer.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.