Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how do u raise the compression? wouldnt that be the best way of making more hp NA? yes no? what are your thoughts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Your compression must match up with your cams in order to have the most effective power. For example, you don't want 8.5:1 CR with ITR cams. Vice versa, you don't want 13:1 CR on a GSR cams either.

If the bump is up a little, ie .5 - 1, then it will probably not do that much harm.

There are several ways or raising the CR. The most obvious ones that comes to my mind at the moment are pistons and a thinner head gasket.

·
Registered
228 Posts
what he said.:D

making a strong N/A car is all about a balance of ur the different components of ur setup complimenting eachother......and tuning.

ive seen so many people just get cams, or just get pistons, and make no extra power and in some cases the motors lose power.

but yeah pistons are what u need to raise compression...

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
so would 50 hp be a feasible amount with an up in compression? or could it go even more? also... what about increasing the displacement... could u make a 3 litre engine from a 1.8?

·
Registered
127 Posts
50hp? Not in todays world. Maybe in 3003 when they have better technology.

Seriously though, did understand what I posted above? You have to match it properly with cams. Both are what gives you power, not just one.

Take this for example, the ITR has .6 more than the GSR. It makes 25 horse more than the GSR. But its not just because it has more CR. It has different cams as well as other minor differences.

Think whole package here!

There is no way you can come close to doubling the size of a motor. You need to look this info up as its alreay available out there in the web. Sometimes you learn a lot from reading and researching yourself.

·
Registered
8,144 Posts
DB8 said:
50hp? Not in todays world. Maybe in 3003 when they have better technology.

Seriously though, did understand what I posted above? You have to match it properly with cams. Both are what gives you power, not just one.

Take this for example, the ITR has .6 more than the GSR. It makes 25 horse more than the GSR. But its not just because it has more CR. It has different cams as well as other minor differences.

Think whole package here!

There is no way you can come close to doubling the size of a motor. You need to look this info up as its alreay available out there in the web. Sometimes you learn a lot from reading and researching yourself.
Precisely.

The biggest you could possibly (and reasonably) make an Integra engine by boring and stroking it is about 2.4L, but that would be stupid because the new cylinder sleeves would be super-thin, and stroker kits really destroy your reliability - think track-only trailer queen. Some people bore to 2.0L and it works pretty well, but it's still quite expensive to resleeve the block like that and get new pistons, rods, etc.

Fact of the matter is, if you go to the SHO video section, you'll see I believe a 1.9L Integra turbo motor in a Civic making 712whp. While this is a very extreme example, it just goes to show that you can make a shitload of power without 3L.

·
Registered
14,616 Posts
efript said:
so would 50 hp be a feasible amount with an up in compression? or could it go even more? also... what about increasing the displacement... could u make a 3 litre engine from a 1.8?
short answers: no, no, and no.

·
Registered
8,144 Posts
Unlike a head gasket however, milling is irreversible. Both mess up your timing as well so you'll need cam gears and tuning to get it right again.

Best and most effective way to raise compression is definitely with pistons, although it's a lot of labor.

·
Registered
896 Posts
rdline87ta94gsr said:
You can always mill the head too... I've heard some thinner head gaskets can potentially just cause problems. By milling you would avoid this.
what kind of problems?

·
Registered
8,144 Posts
Some are finicky to seal up just right, but if done properly and methodically with a trusted brand (Mugen, Cometic, even stock with only 1 or 2 layers) it should be fine.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
rdline87ta94gsr said:
You can always mill the head too... I've heard some thinner head gaskets can potentially just cause problems. By milling you would avoid this.
The only reason that i can see a headgasket causing a prob.(besides any of the other prob. that milling would create) would because it was cheap and did not seal well...

Both head gaskets and milling, make the combustion chambers closer to the pistons, thus creating more compression.

Now like white98ls said, milling throws timing off and is irreversible...now also with a thinner hea gasket and milling you can get piston to valve contact and that means you will have to buy a new motor... Plus milling is something that is so precise, there are very few people i would trust to take enough off and not too much off...

·
Registered
8,144 Posts
TodaTeg said:
Now like white98ls said, milling throws timing off and is irreversible...now also with a thinner hea gasket and milling you can get piston to valve contact and that means you will have to buy a new motor... Plus milling is something that is so precise, there are very few people i would trust to take enough off and not too much off...
Definitely. When you're talking in thousandths of an inch, and few of them until you get piston/valve contact, you don't want to mess around. Not to mention that when milling the head, the surface has to be absolutely perfect, otherwise you'll run into the same problem as with a crappy head gasket (won't seal well).

Big, domed pistons also decrease piston-valve clearance, but as long as you measure and calculate properly it's a lot easier to not mess up.

·
Registered
204 Posts
however, wouldn't milling the head (by someone you trust ;) ) and then getting cam gears and readjusting the timing be a lot cheaper than getting new pistons and getting those installed? Yes, pistons would be awesome but that could be pretty expensive vs. milling right?

I've never really priced milling on a teg but I figure its gotta be cheaper....

·
Registered
464 Posts
Now, Im not sure about 4-cyl Honda motors, when I worked on cars alot, it was big-block V-8s, stroking and boring was for only large motors that you wanted to do some pretty crazy stuff to...

Is there a good reason that you want to increase the compression ratio??? And if so, is there a cheaper and safer way to go about doing what you want to do??? Just from what little I know about motors and materials and the such, seems like stroking a boring such a small motor could have some serious consequences, could be a better way of doing what you want to do... Or I could just be lighting up too many bowls of crack today....

Curufinn
([email protected])

**WTB** Rear bumper for black 94' LS **WTB**

·
Registered
8,144 Posts
rdline87ta94gsr said:
however, wouldn't milling the head (by someone you trust ;) ) and then getting cam gears and readjusting the timing be a lot cheaper than getting new pistons and getting those installed? Yes, pistons would be awesome but that could be pretty expensive vs. milling right?

I've never really priced milling on a teg but I figure its gotta be cheaper....
Yes, as I said before, it's a lot of labor to put in new pistons, and therefore a lot of money (unless you have the experience and tools to do it yourself).

Boring out to 2L with an Integra motor is very possible but you need to resleeve the block with ductile iron sleeves. This actually makes the block much stronger, but is quite expensive (about $750 to get it resleeved, and then you still have to buy pistons and other parts). Stroking produces some good power but is very unreliable and should be used only for a trailer queen....

Upping the compression ratio will only give big gains if you are installing bigger cams as well, and matching your comp. ratio to the size of your cams. You don't want 13:1 compression with just ITR cams..... and in my case, I wish I had enough money to have higher than stock 9.2:1 compression with Crower Stage 2's..... :mad: but hey, it works out fine for me in the end....

1 - 20 of 25 Posts