Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

41 - 60 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
4,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
phrancis said:
Im a digital media instructor at a small private computer arts college and we deal with lots of new PC users that get stuck with all this crap. If you wanna get rid of all that spyware stuff, use spybot, spyhunter, adaware, cwshredder, and highjack this. All these things are freeware from good hackers, but each one alone wont catch everthing. Also make sure all these things are updated before you scan.

next step: use that firewall and a good antivirus program and make sure thats all updated too. I went years without any antivirus software and was just fine. Those days are over! You need protection nowadays. Make sure you get all ms windows updates ASAP as well.

Last step: some of that crap will try come back through internet explorer (IE). Most websites are optimized for IE because its the most popular browser right now, but guess what... most malicious "highjacker" type websites use the security flaws in IE to hack into your operating system too. Go download mozilla/firefox as your browser - it dosent have the same backdoor security holes as IE and it works just the same. In fact the whole school has installed mozilla as its default classroom browser!
From what ive seen Spybot finds some stuff, but it sucks in general. Adaware seems to do the trick for me. Spyhunter? Ive seen it install more spyware then it does remove it.

About your last step, unless your completely computer illiterate theres no reason to get a different browser. IE cant be hijacked unless you accept some sort of certificate or download some file that installs itself. Mozilla and Firefox are way over-rated IMO. Ive been using IE for a while now and ive never had any problems with hijacks.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Ix dOc xI said:
From what ive seen Spybot finds some stuff, but it sucks in general. Adaware seems to do the trick for me. Spyhunter? Ive seen it install more spyware then it does remove it.

About your last step, unless your completely computer illiterate theres no reason to get a different browser. IE cant be hijacked unless you accept some sort of certificate or download some file that installs itself. Mozilla and Firefox are way over-rated IMO. Ive been using IE for a while now and ive never had any problems with hijacks.
Ok, granted adaware is a little better than spybot, but together, you stand a better chance of catching everything. Plus spybot has some nice advanced controls in one menu: search engines, browser helper objects, startup files, registrys, etc..... You have to run advanced mode. You might be right about spyhunter. Ive not had much experience with it. Some one else suggested it and the more programs scanning for junk the better.

I deal with different levels of computer "literacy" on a daily basis in the computer classes I teach. Not every one updates windows when every service pack comes out. There are more viruses written for windows than for macintosh because there are way more PCs out there and they want to infect the most amount of people. Well IE is targeted way more often too and it has alot of security flaws java / active X backdoors to the operating sys. It seems like microsoft is putting out new updates to plug these holes just as often and as fast as hackers are attacking them.

All the sys admins and computer science people I know prefer mozilla cause its relativly safe and compatible with most websites and the controls work the same - its easy to switch over. Depending on what sites you might visit, you could be safe using IE all the time, but there are alot of sites out there that will work its way into your OS without you downloading or accepting anything. Theres just less chance of that with mozilla (netscape too). Of course all this is just my opinion, but it does comes from experience. :)

·
Registered
4,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
phrancis said:
Some one else suggested it and the more programs scanning for junk the better.
Thats not always true, alot of times the programs will begin to conflict with eachother and end up being useless.

About the Mozilla, Ive never used it so I cant really say if its good or not. But then again Ive never had any problems with IE so I have no reason to try it.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Ix dOc xI said:
Thats not always true, alot of times the programs will begin to conflict with eachother and end up being useless.

About the Mozilla, Ive never used it so I cant really say if its good or not. But then again Ive never had any problems with IE so I have no reason to try it.
I have spybot, adaware, norton anti virus, and mcaffie and each one finds stuff the other didnt and Ive not had any conflicts.

Youve been pretty lucky with IE, but trust me. There are some sites that can hack it. Just do your windows updates religiously and keep the security setting to high in your IE options. That stuff isnt much of an issue with mozilla. You might like it better :D

·
Registered
4,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
phrancis said:
I have spybot, adaware, norton anti virus, and mcaffie and each one finds stuff the other didnt and Ive not had any conflicts.

Youve been pretty lucky with IE, but trust me. There are some sites that can hack it. Just do your windows updates religiously and keep the security setting to high in your IE options. That stuff isnt much of an issue with mozilla. You might like it better :D
Spybot and Adaware shouldnt be a problem. But I can guarantee you if you are running Norton Antivirus AND Mcafee at the same time, either A) one of them isnt working properly or B) Niether of them is working properly.

My security settings are set at default (medium i think it is) and i got all the critical updates. Like I said before, it just cant hack IE by itself. You have to accept some sort of certificate or download something that does it or install a program that installs a hijack too.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Both anti virus programs are installed. Norton is always running, but not macafee. Doing a scan with one then the other will catch things the first one missed. There was an article in some Uk computer mag that rated the major anti virus software by throwing every known virus at it. Norton was 7th, Macaffee 4th, and some russian one was first. I cant remember the name. It was all pretty close.

Some activeX certificates can be masked as legal / safe if a highend hacker knows what hes doing. Even if the certificate Yes/No screen pops up, the no or close button can be given a different command. Im sure those malicious sites are rare, but Ive seen it happen on IE. Again, switching to mozilla is my opinion as well as the feeling of many computer professionals. I realize Im not gonna change your opinion, so Im just gonna leave it at that. :clap

·
Registered
4,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
phrancis said:
Both anti virus programs are installed. Norton is always running, but not macafee. Doing a scan with one then the other will catch things the first one missed. There was an article in some Uk computer mag that rated the major anti virus software by throwing every known virus at it. Norton was 7th, Macaffee 4th, and some russian one was first. I cant remember the name. It was all pretty close.

Some activeX certificates can be masked as legal / safe if a highend hacker knows what hes doing. Even if the certificate Yes/No screen pops up, the no or close button can be given a different command. Im sure those malicious sites are rare, but Ive seen it happen on IE. Again, switching to mozilla is my opinion as well as the feeling of many computer professionals. I realize Im not gonna change your opinion, so Im just gonna leave it at that. :clap
If you have norton or macafee installed, when you go to install another one its going to give you an error message right away. ive delt with people who have had macafee and norton on their computers and it was full of virus's. Why? Because neither of the programs were running properly. I dont recommend anyone do this. There was another superhonda memeber on here who used norton and wanted to install kaspery or something like that. As soon as he tried he got an error. He uninstalled Norton and tried reinstalling it and he was still getting errors about the two antivirus programs. He had to go through the registry to delete all the symantec keys left behind. Either use one or the other.

About the Mozilla and Firefox or whatever, the Certificate box can not be given different commands. A false certificate window can come up as a regular popup but that wont be a real certificate so it wont do anything. What professionals have you seen comment on Mozilla? I wouldnt say im lucky, just cautious. I know what sites I go to and I know what to accept and what to decline. Most people dont and thats why they have so much spyware and browser hijacks. Im just posting my opinion as well, I dont expect you or me to change either of our minds. :w00t

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
I havent had problems with 2 antivirus programs, but maybe Im just lucky. I do know for sure they are working.

Many users dont know whats safe when a certificate (faked or not) pops up. Just like the average user doesnt read the fine print when they D/L a screen saver or intall a peer to peer sharing program. Theres so much spyware, search bars, and crap bundled with much of that stuff. Im just saying (as a blanket statement) that its safer for the "average" user to use mozilla cause that spyware crap is usually aimed at integrating with IE.

All the system admins at my college, one information science major, 3 computer science friends, 2 programers at IBM, an electrical engineer ex roommate at motorolla, an article on MSN, and another link posted on SHO like mozilla better. It works the same as IE and its safer for the average user. MYIE2 also But for more computer savy people, like yourself, this isnt really an issue.

http://www.astalavista.com//data/winxptweakguide.htm
go to the helpful utilities sec :D

·
Registered
4,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
phrancis said:
I havent had problems with 2 antivirus programs, but maybe Im just lucky. I do know for sure they are working.

Many users dont know whats safe when a certificate (faked or not) pops up. Just like the average user doesnt read the fine print when they D/L a screen saver or intall a peer to peer sharing program. Theres so much spyware, search bars, and crap bundled with much of that stuff. Im just saying (as a blanket statement) that its safer for the "average" user to use mozilla cause that spyware crap is usually aimed at integrating with IE.

All the system admins at my college, one information science major, 3 computer science friends, 2 programers at IBM, an electrical engineer ex roommate at motorolla, an article on MSN, and another link posted on SHO like mozilla better. It works the same as IE and its safer for the average user.
But for more computer savy people, like yourself, this isnt really an issue.

http://www.astalavista.com//data/winxptweakguide.htm
go to the helpful utilities sec :D
If by average you mean n00b, then I agree with you 100%. Most people are just ignorant though, like even AIM now. Once you download it its default has two boxes checked that installs Weather Bug and some other crap. People just need to learn how to pay attention.

Also you said your something at a college or what not and you get lots of spyware, dont you guys have some sort of sites blocked? My school (highschool) uses IE and they have a whole bunch of restrictions and all they use is norton server and they have no problems whatsover, and there are tons of idiots at my school I can guarantee you that. :hehe

·
Registered
11,252 Posts
im not neccesarily a noob on computers, but theres one thing that has me stumped, maybe one of u guys can help me out. I got ad-aware se did scans, and i run norton every week or so. But for some reason, when norton runs, it comes up with like 40 or 50 things. So i tell it to delete them, and it says it could only delete 7 of them, and it wouldnt delete the rest of them. I tried deleting some other spyware i have, and when i go to do that, it tells me it cant delete it. So i dunno what i can do to get rid of this crap. Anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
AlTrOnX said:
im not neccesarily a noob on computers, but theres one thing that has me stumped, maybe one of u guys can help me out. I got ad-aware se did scans, and i run norton every week or so. But for some reason, when norton runs, it comes up with like 40 or 50 things. So i tell it to delete them, and it says it could only delete 7 of them, and it wouldnt delete the rest of them. I tried deleting some other spyware i have, and when i go to do that, it tells me it cant delete it. So i dunno what i can do to get rid of this crap. Anyone have any ideas?
Have you keep it updated?

Or you could be in the situation I had. Where I had norton norton for 2+ years, used it faithfully every week, but it finally decided not to get rid of a few viruses. So I un-installed it and got Kaspersky (I had to do some registry work because norton is gay) But Kaspersky picked up the 1 virus norton didn't and a few others before I even did a scan. After the scan, Kaspersky found and deleted so much more than norton even found. And the folks at kaspersky update like 7 times a day, so they're ontop of new viruses.

Kaspersky

Kaspersky: :tu :tu

·
Registered
80 Posts
I'm surprised BHOdemon or The Cleaner hasn't come up in here yet.

And regarding the conversation on what people do when prompted with "certificates" and such, it is important to note that you can be compromised without ever seeing such a dialog box (meaning you may never be prompted to download or install anything). So, it isn't just a n00b thing

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
f0rk said:
I'm surprised BHOdemon or The Cleaner hasn't come up in here yet.

And regarding the conversation on what people do when prompted with "certificates" and such, it is important to note that you can be compromised without ever seeing such a dialog box (meaning you may never be prompted to download or install anything). So, it isn't just a n00b thing
Very true. Theres all kinds of seriously advanced virus writers out there.

About the Norton thing... Ive had it do the same thing on me, but after updating it was able to delete or quarntine the threats too.

·
Registered
23 Posts
i use Mozilla most of the time

is there any way of getting rid of Internet Explorer or is that a must stay thing?

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
92civicgrl said:
i use Mozilla most of the time

is there any way of getting rid of Internet Explorer or is that a must stay thing?
in the Add or Remove Programs theres an Add/Remove Window Components. you can uncheck IE but if you open My Computer and put a www.... website in and hit enter it will still bring up IE.

FireFox is good shit. Uses way less resources.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Wow, I just downloaded Ad-aware 6 and its awesome! I went out and bought Tenebril SpyCatcher and it SUCKS! I actually just got done uninstalling it! This one is way better, thanks for the link!

·
Registered
695 Posts
try these

check out some of these programs:
Spybot Search and Destroy
http://www.spybot.info/en/home/index.html
Ad-Aware
http://www.lavasoftusa.com/
CCleaner
www.ccleaner.com
CWShredder
http://www.softpedia.com/progDownload/CWShredder-Download-8114.html
Avast Cleaner
http://www.avast.com/eng/down_cleaner.html
McAfee Stinger
http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/
Hijack This
http://www.spychecker.com/

all these programs are free so don't pay for anything... just look for the program name with the link provided.... i put these programs on a 64 mb USB Flash frive and just update them every other week.... if a friend or so computer starts acting up i take it over there and run the programs

this is the order i run them: CCleaner, Spybot Search and Destroy, Ad-Aware, and then the rest.....

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
I used spybot for the longest time. I also use the "immunize" feature. I started using the Microsoft Anti Spyware in addition for spybot and it seems to work pretty well. Microsoft spyware was able to find one spyware that Spybot didn't find.

It is very easy NOT to get spyware just as it is easy getting them. I use both Firefox and IE. I agree with doc. If it wasn't for the potential Firefox have, there wouldn't be no reason for me to switch to Firefox.

Microsoft anti spyware beta
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/software/default.mspx

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ive got a problem. I have three spyware programs and run them all the time. They get rid of monst spyware but one remains. I use AOL and this internet explorer popup always comes up, it wont go away! Ive even uninstalled some yahoo / IE stuff and its still there. How do I get rid of this popup?!??!

·
Registered
4,440 Posts
an easy way not to get spyware is not to look up pron, hahhaa. but its good to have a few antispyware software like spybot and the microsoft antispyware. microsoft one is fucking sweet adaware sucks spybots alright

41 - 60 of 100 Posts