Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i had to remove lines when i swapped motors, so i need to know how to recharge the a/c system, thanx guys
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,384 Posts
this is the sort of thing that's best left to a professional. ask around where you live to see who does good, cheap work.

you can buy kits to recharge your a/c yourself, but in order to do it *properly* you need to pull a vacuum on the low side (or the high side, can't remember which it is now) and most people don't have the access to the tools needed to do that, and those kits you can buy don't allow you to pull a vacuum iirc.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i heard it needs to be converted over to a differant fitting, but vacum are u talkn about?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,384 Posts
that i don't know, but my best friend is certified in hvac, and this came straight from him when i called him up to see about recharging my own as well. in order to do it properly, you need to pull a vacuum (remove all air and vacuum seal the lines) on either the high or low side... otherwise you're wasting your time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
IISaiNtII said:
that i don't know, but my best friend is certified in hvac, and this came straight from him when i called him up to see about recharging my own as well. in order to do it properly, you need to pull a vacuum (remove all air and vacuum seal the lines) on either the high or low side... otherwise you're wasting your time.
that makes sense to me now, u cant have any air in there at all, so yeah its not really a diy job, im just gonna suck it up i live in WA state in seattle and it dont get that hot...this will be the worst month, then it getts colder, lemme know what kinda prices you find out for fixing it, cus i know u will fix urs
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,384 Posts
seatle will probably be expensive as thats one of the most expensive places to live in the good 'ole USofA; if not THE most expensive place...

the place i'll probably take it to will either: a) charge about $100
or
2)i'll take it to my friend and only pay for refrigerant.

that or ill just suck it up and have it done here in KC for about $200...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20,271 Posts
ur is a 90 car your stock existing is equip with r12. unless its only in cali but r12 requires you to have ur freon license to buy. plus its hella expensive.

if i was you...by the r134 conversion kit. it will give you all the instructions plus r134a is alot cheaper per can.

with the kit you just "shake in thru the low side"
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
its a cali model car anyways, but what about the air thats in the system now?doesnt it have to be sucked out first???
 
  • Like
Reactions: NationsMostWanted

·
Registered
Joined
·
20,271 Posts
90lxcivicnocat said:
its a cali model car anyways, but what about the air thats in the system now?doesnt it have to be sucked out first???
best thing to do is if its been empty for sometime then its ok. i would just convert and fill.

what we used to do at the shop is evacuate the r12 with the r12 machine to prevent contamination. then convert to r134a then fill with the 134a machine.

many times if your system is contaminated with r12 and 134a...shops wont work on it ever because it fucks up their machines.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
33,541 Posts
yea, have the system evacuated then pulled in a vaccum for 15 minutes minimum, the longer you hold the vaccum, the colder it will blow

then have it charged with r134a after doing a retrofit

i would tell you to come to our shop, but our machine is fucked up right now and the pump took a shit
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20,271 Posts
jon said:
yea, have the system evacuated then pulled in a vaccum for 15 minutes minimum, the longer you hold the vaccum, the colder it will blow

then have it charged with r134a after doing a retrofit

i would tell you to come to our shop, but our machine is fucked up right now and the pump took a shit
i always thought the vacuum is just to see if the system has a major leak. it doesnt make a difference with the colderness..

usually my procedue is hook up..evac, vacuum for 5 mins, hold for 5 mins, den recharge, then i run my leak detector thru it
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
33,541 Posts
NationsMostWanted said:
i always thought the vacuum is just to see if the system has a major leak. it doesnt make a difference with the colderness..

usually my procedue is hook up..evac, vacuum for 5 mins, hold for 5 mins, den recharge, then i run my leak detector thru it
the vacuum does make a difference with temp coming out of the vents, and the vacuum is also used to get the system completely dry, no condensation or anything in the system that will compramise vent temps and also for filling purpouses
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20,271 Posts
jon said:
the vacuum does make a difference with temp coming out of the vents, and the vacuum is also used to get the system completely dry, no condensation or anything in the system that will compramise vent temps and also for filling purpouses
i never thought of it like that..good point. i always it used it as a big leak detector.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
33,541 Posts
NationsMostWanted said:
i never thought of it like that..good point. i always it used it as a big leak detector.
if i want to find a leak, i check the charge first, then if it is low, i use the leak detector you can buy from any tool truck

the snap on one is the most gangster tho, it beeps at you when you fart on the sniffer
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20,271 Posts
jon said:
if i want to find a leak, i check the charge first, then if it is low, i use the leak detector you can buy from any tool truck

the snap on one is the most gangster tho, it beeps at you when you fart on the sniffer
yea i call that thing i gaydar...our wasnt a snap on i forgot who made it. it was a AC tools company forgot the name of it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
NationsMostWanted said:
yea i call that thing i gaydar...our wasnt a snap on i forgot who made it. it was a AC tools company forgot the name of it.
ummm i dont got a gaydar device and i dont know where to hook up vac to the system at, and at this point i think im gonna push my car off a cliff or sell it to pull a part after i get a refund on the motor that prolly has a cracked block or head...im sick of playing with this, it aint a project car its a daily driver...problems problems problems and my other car threw a rod racing it and i have to put the 4cylinder back in it, thats just killing me :bash well im almost done doing that one, gotta love how quick u can swap things in and out of foxbody mustangs, no ac on that no more either, so same thing u think on a 93 stang??? it looks like the same fittings as the honda. i dunno im gunna go get drunk and cry i think, i could give a shit less about the honda, its my other car, being stupid and pushing shit to hard when i knew it had a rod knock.ahh :(
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top