Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, I did a search and found some articles on rev matching, but I'm still a little confused.

Can someone explain as if I was a dumbass?

Lets say i wanna do a 5 to 3 switch

Say you're in fifth now,
take foot off gas,
clutch in,
gear in neutral,
give some gas,
gear in third,
clutch out/gas in

asking b/c I'm new to driving a stick

·
Registered
353 Posts
Its also known as double clutching and you actually do not need to do it. Even going from 5 to 3 gear. Make sure your not at to high of an RPM or going from 5-3 you could redline. My dad used to race cars cant remember what class but it wasnt pro or anything but their cars didnt have syncros like we do. They had to double clutch every downshift im not sure if its still like that or not. I double clutch when im not to lazy. It just saves some work on the syncros gives a longer life time. As for any performance gain out of double clutching there isnt really any unless you like driving that way and can handle your car better.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Not really the idea behind double clutching is that you clutch shift to neutral, rev match, clutch shift to gear.
Same thing different name. Your matching you engine tranny and wheel speed up.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
now you guys confused me further,

is what i listed correct for rev matching or for double clutching?

Thanx for your help though.

·
Banned
2,834 Posts
Originally posted by exzeltus now you guys confused me further,

is what i listed correct for rev matching or for double clutching?

Thanx for your help though.
No,

Revmatching can be done to include heel toeing and or double clutching.

You don't NEED to double clutch your car or our cars. Our transmission doesn't require it and although it may be slightly kinder to the tranny it is NOT neccessary and actually east up time when shifting competitively.

REV MATCHING:

Gear in 5th,

Foot on Throttle,

Hand slips from wheel to gear selector,

Clutch in,

Foot "Blip's" the throttle,

Move selector to next lower gear OR Skip a gear "But, you will need to "Blip" the throttle a little more to skip a gear usually,"

Clutch out,

Hand back on wheel,

Feed throttle at lower gear,

Continue driving,

DONE. This all must be done relatively quickly since the whole idea behind Revmatching is to be able to transition to a lower gear to better benefit the driving conditions and or requirements. Revving the motor higher and switching gears BEFORE the Rev's drop is KEY.

Revmatching is used to get to a lower gear while putting less stress on your motor as would be just slamming from 5th to 3rd at 6K RPM. It is an advanced shifting/driving/racing technique that can be practiced on the road and hopefully incorporated into your daily driving.

Getting used to it and doing it as often as possible will make it second nature and benefit you and your cars driving and racing experience.

Heel Toe is another technique that incorporates the Rev match.

I do Know for a Fact that there are several postings that cover Heel Toe and Rev Matching AND F-n-F Double Clutching sorry no posts about granny shifting though.:D

Heres a few links to better explain if you are still lost:

Shifting CORRECTLY

Heel Toeing

Double Clutching

Read them all, you WILL understand, if Not then you need a good driving lesson from someone with exerience, I suggest a driving school.

Good luck,

A.

·
Banned
2,834 Posts
Pharcyde said:
Not really the idea behind double clutching is that you clutch shift to neutral, rev match, clutch shift to gear.
Same thing different name. Your matching you engine tranny and wheel speed up.
You are confusing 2 Different techniques AND have now confused this guy. Please if you don't know then just read and learn but, do not post incorrect information.

Rev matching

&

Double clutching

are Very different things. Revmatching is incorporated into Double Clutching "most" of the time But, Double Clutching is NEVER incorporated into the act of Rev matching, nor is it required.

Heel Toeing is another Important technique that many should learn and use daily WITH Rev Matching.

Good luck, and no hard feelings pharcyde, I can see that you had good intentions.

A.

·
Banned
2,834 Posts
red_man said:
i thought in rev matching you didn't use the clutch??
The actual REVVING the motor Only requires you to "Blip" the throttle But, for the entire technique to be done correctly you need to use the clutch, gear selector, your hands, feet, the steering wheel,,,,

Get the picture?

It is listed above, as is correct procedures to do all of the aforementioned techniques.

A.

·
Registered
114 Posts
ahhhhhhhh

jesus man, all rev matching is, is tapping the throttle in between shifts to make the engine match your speed, don't you get it, it is not a whole other technique it is just something you do when you double clutch.

·
Registered
31 Posts
rev-matching double clutch downshift:
say starting in 5th, going to 3rd

clutch in
shift to neutral
clutch out
rev match blip of the throttle
clutch in
shift to third
clutch out, while flooring it usually (clutch drop-style)

Not neccessary, but no ricer lurch, and if you are in a race environment, at the limit of your traction, this is invaluable. Pulling off a double-clutch downshift perfectly can be the difference between taking the corner at optimum speed and losing traction, spinning out, losing, etc.

Few people are ever in situations like that, however.

·
Banned
2,834 Posts
Unregistered said:
rev-matching double clutch downshift:
say starting in 5th, going to 3rd

clutch in
shift to neutral
clutch out
rev match blip of the throttle
clutch in
shift to third
clutch out, while flooring it usually (clutch drop-style)

Not neccessary, but no ricer lurch, and if you are in a race environment, at the limit of your traction, this is invaluable. Pulling off a double-clutch downshift perfectly can be the difference between taking the corner at optimum speed and losing traction, spinning out, losing, etc.

Few people are ever in situations like that, however.
You have the right idea.

I'm in situations like that all the time, and You still don't need the Double clutch. It's just not neccessary, and eats up more time.

Revmatching and Heel Toeing however are invaluable, and will allow you to take the corner at the optimum speed for entry and able to select the correct gear for a powerful exit.

Slow in,,, Fast out, that is the way to do it.

A.

·
Registered
1 Posts
do you guys know if it makes a difference _when_ you blip the throttle? the way I've been rev matching is as follows:

1. Cruising 5th gear
2. Clutch in
3. Put in Neutral
4. Put in 3rd
5. Blip Throttle
6. Let go clutch

This was just seems faster to me, instead of double clutching (letting go of the clutch after Neutral).
I was wondering if there was any disadvantages of blipping the throttle AFTER changing the gear?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts