Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, i'm planning on selling my car so i have enough money to get my Subie. But i have never sold my car to private parties before so i thought i'd ask you guys for some advice before selling it. I just read the stickies at the cars for sale thread so i am aware that there are scams going on. Anyways, time for questions:

What are the procedures in selling my cars privately?
What are the methods of payment? Which is the safest?
Are there any tricks I should be aware of?

I currently have someone offering me a price higher than what i was asking for. THe thing is the buyer told me the check will be coming from another person, so i have some suspicion.

If anyone is kind enough to help, i'd appreciate it.

·
Registered
130 Posts
umm i never sold my car but i did just buy one back in nov. from a private seller..

some things to be aware of! if anyone is offering you a lot more money for your car, is over seas, and/or wants to wire money through the bank, its highly a scam. my brother in law got caught in one of those. used to be really big a few years ago. i bet it still is. so think about that! its best to do it locally and where you can see the person face to face.

ways of payment. i bought mine with money order, its what the seller said was the best way. you can track it aswell.. also CASHIERS check, or cash are really good. no personal checks or anything aside from those.

also if possible write your own contract and have both parites sign it and keep it for you own records. (its what we did)

places to list your car. any fourms that you want. craigslist is free too. autotrader is pretty popular.

another thing, when someones coming over to check it out, its best to do it at a different location ( althought i bought mine at her house) if it possible. and have someone eles with you when they come to check it out...

hope that helps!

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
cash transactions are the best. but if he pays by check, i'd call the bank to verify that he has the funds and cash it immediately. or you can do an electronic money transfer from his bank to yours. But I prefer cash transaction

·
Registered
670 Posts
ThirdLane said:
cash transactions are the best. but if he pays by check, i'd call the bank to verify that he has the funds and cash it immediately. or you can do an electronic money transfer from his bank to yours. But I prefer cash transaction
That's how my car was bought, through check.. You also need the pink slip for your car to sign over registered owners.

·
Registered
582 Posts
if you have the title in hand everything will be a ton easier. but really, sell locally, put ads up in newspapers, and i found mine at my mechanics, he had an ad of his window for a used 99 accord. good luck with the sale.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.