Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just bought a 94 lx dont know what he was useing and i dont want to hurt it by switching it the car has 113k on it any way to tell witch from witch?

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
Get under the car and look at the filter. If its a Honda, Frahm, or Purolator, then he may be using regular oil. If its a Mobil 1 filter, then the oil is (edit)PROBABLY(edit) synthetic. (edit)The main difference between filter brands is the amount of paper and paper quality, and any filter can be used with any oil(edit).

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok thanks no color issues or anthing?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
what is the defrence between the 2 and should i change to synthetic?

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
I don't think there is any way to tell by looking at the oil. Synthetic oil is better and it won't harm your engine. It also has a much higher boiling point and won't burn off as readily as regular oil. You don't have to change your oil nearly as often.

"Conventional oils come from crude oil that is pumped from the ground. Crude oil is made up of a complex mixture of molecules that form chains and rings of different sizes and shapes. Long chains of carbon atoms produce a thick, viscous fluid that flows slowly. Shorter chains produce fluid that flows more readily.

In an oil refinery, crude oil is separated into various fractions. These become the basis for lubricating oils and fuels. Thick tangled masses of carbon chains become asphaltic materials used in roofing tar and road work. Very short chains and ring compounds of carbon are volatile and can be refined to produce gasoline and other products.

While petroleum refining is an advanced science, small amounts of contaminants, such as sulfur and reactive hydrocarbons, cannot be completely removed from petroleum, and may end up in motor oil base stocks.

All motor oils are made up of base oils and additives. In general, fully synthetic motor oils contain non-conventional, high-performance fluids. Synthetic blends usually use some non-conventional, high-performance fluids in combination with conventional oil.

To meet the demanding requirements of today's specifications (and our customers' expectations), Mobil 1® uses high-performance fluids, including polyalphaolefins (PAOs), along with a proprietary system of additives. Each Mobil 1 viscosity grade uses a unique combination of synthetic fluids and selected additives in order to tailor the viscosity grade to its specific application."
http://www.mobil1.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Synthetics/Why_Synthetics.aspx

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the detail so u dont think it will harm if i switched over with that hight of milage?

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
No, it can only help. I said this earlier on another post, but if you want to take care of a high mileage Accord, then change the transmission fluid whenever you do the oil.

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
you cant harm an engine by going from syn to regular....oil is supposed to help an engine.

·
Registered
5,438 Posts
AccOrDZteCh said:
you cant harm an engine by going from syn to regular....oil is supposed to help an engine.

yeah... in general i dont let a car with regular oil get much past 3k miles between changes (2k if driven hard)... with synthetic i tend to let it go a little longer...3k if driven hard...

·
Registered
4,479 Posts
If you have that many miles on your car, I would not switch to synthetic. Most people don't use synthetic (unless the car came factory with it). Do not listen to what dude said about looking at the damn filter, he's doesnt know what he's talking about. There is absolutely no difference in oil filters for synthetic or conventional oil.

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
spray004 said:
If you have that many miles on your car, I would not switch to synthetic. Most people don't use synthetic (unless the car came factory with it). Do not listen to what dude said about looking at the damn filter, he's doesnt know what he's talking about. There is absolutely no difference in oil filters for synthetic or conventional oil.
I never said there was a difference. The type of filter on the car is a good indicator of what type of oil is in the engine. Someone who sues synthetic is more likely to use a more expensive filter, rather than a $2.00 Pep Boys filter.

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
flyingtoaster said:
I never said there was a difference. The type of filter on the car is a good indicator of what type of oil is in the engine. Someone who sues synthetic is more likely to use a more expensive filter, rather than a $2.00 Pep Boys filter.

im not going to pound you, but IMO a dude who spends that much on oil lol probably doesnt have enough money for a filter lol....ME!! hahahha honest opinion...

it can work both ways, though its not a 100% claim though..

no offence.

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
flyingtoaster said:
Get under the car and look at the filter. If its a Honda, Frahm, or Purolator, then he may be using regular oil. If its a Mobil 1 filter, then the oil is definitely synthetic.
The only thing I see wrong with this statement, is where I said "definitely." You may use good oil and a cheap filter, but if I pay $25 for oil, then I'm not going to slap on a shit filter and need to change it in another 3,000 miles. Not everbody knows that there is a difference between filters. Besides, it does not even matter what type of oil is already in the car. If the previous owner had been using the same type of oil for 113,000 miles, will keeping the oil for another 2 or 3k hurt the engine?

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
if i buy a car, usually i take it down and inspect and change the sparks and stuff...and i just might as well change the oil ...you never know what he had or when he exactly changed it...

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
AccOrDZteCh said:
if i buy a car, usually i take it down and inspect and change the sparks and stuff...and i just might as well change the oil ...you never know what he had or when he exactly changed it...
Yeah, that's true. Any new oil is going to be better than any oil that's been in there for 30k miles.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
well the oil is still gold so ima change it next paycheck i heard u can put seafoam in ur oil before ur next oil change. is it safe to put it in and then change to synthetic? ive already put 1 bottle in the gas tank and another bottle down the intake manifold ... i have have a 5spd i cant find the clutch resivuar is it the small one right next to the brake cyl? so change the tranny and clutch every 3k also?

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
dont bother with putting additives like that into your oil directly...its a strong acid iMO and may hurt something, let the oil do its work.

i think you done a great enough job doing the gas tank treatment and the intake manifold treatment.

im not sure what your question about your clutch master cylinder...but if you want to change it soo often then be my guest...but to flush it you gotta go under the car, usually i just take out the top fluid and top off with new brake fluid...right now since i bleeded it its now clear =)

instead of 3k, id say like once a year. oh and your right on the locaiton.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts