Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
1,017 Posts
Other than the VTEC valve cover, you can look at the engine code stamped directly on the engine.

· Registered
24 Posts
tegragsr01 said:
the easiest way is to look at the engine code but you can tell by intake and valve cover color and the way it says dohc vtec
Check the code on the engine. The valve covers won't tell you anything. For example, a Type R valve cover can fit on a GSR. ANd many people do this. So you can be fooled if you look at the valve covers. Also, pay attention to small details. For example, the guy has a B18A or B and the valve cover says DOHC VTEC. Pretty safe assumption that the guy has a LS/VTEC or CRV/VTEC conversion.

-John

· Registered
111 Posts
if you really know your shit, you can tell just by looking. my mechanic can look @ an engine and tell me if it's a b16, b18c1, or b18c5... amoung others.... i can't though... i can't tell the difference between a b18c and a b16a just from taking a glance.

· Registered
56 Posts
tegragsr01 said:
the easiest way is to look at the engine code but you can tell by intake and valve cover color and the way it says dohc vtec
i agree to a degree w/ this one. the intake manifold is one easy way to tell. i mean especially when comparing a GSR to a Type R.
now unless they have an aftermarket one your best bet to tell the difference would be the intake manifold. now the ITR manifold and the B18B manifold are similar looking. but the LS one has a steeper arc than the ITR one.

:cool:

· Registered
1,633 Posts
There's always all these easy ways to tell one engine from another. But people can easily swap them back and forth. So my best bet is to just read the engine code. That should tell you all that you need to know. From there if the vavlve cover, IM, or even the head is different, you know right there that something has been done to it. But at least the engine, or the block is that very one that the code says!

· Registered
1,017 Posts
LsVtecR said:

i agree to a degree w/ this one. the intake manifold is one easy way to tell. i mean especially when comparing a GSR to a Type R.
now unless they have an aftermarket one your best bet to tell the difference would be the intake manifold. now the ITR manifold and the B18B manifold are similar looking. but the LS one has a steeper arc than the ITR one.

:cool:
I agree. Besides looking at the engine code as I said before you can look at the intake manifold. If the body of it is above the 4 runners coming off then it is a LS or Type R. If the 4 runners are above the main body then it is a GSR engine.

· Registered
1,017 Posts
No. Not without modification. The intake manifolds are at different heights.

· Registered
111 Posts
ok, so is the b16a manifold located more like the ls or itr intake manifold? would a gsr intake manifold benefit me over the b16 manifold? either way, it will be ported and polished.

· Registered
199 Posts
I know the covers can be changed but isn't the b16 have the VTEC bigger then dohc, while the b18c has DOHC bigger then vtec? How could you tell between the h22? I mean its bigger, but I didn't realize when I saw a swapped civic what type of motor it was... My friend had to tell me.

· Registered
56 Posts
TheX-Man said:
I know the covers can be changed but isn't the b16 have the VTEC bigger then dohc, while the b18c has DOHC bigger then vtec? How could you tell between the h22? I mean its bigger, but I didn't realize when I saw a swapped civic what type of motor it was... My friend had to tell me.
you are almost right w/ when you say the B16s VTEC is bigger than the DOHC. but the first gen B16 was the opposite. the DOHC is bigger than the VTEC, i would know cause i have a 90 B16 head on my LS.

don't quote me but i think the B18C has the DOHC bigger than the VTEC. don't bash me if i'm wrong though.

now it's so easy to tell the difference between an H series motor and a B.
the DOHC VTEC on an H22 is located on the exhaust manifold side as opposed to the intake manifold side on a B.

· Registered
56 Posts
The only true way to know is by reading the engine code. Like someone said earlier the valve covers are all interchangeable on b series VTEC engines.

· Registered
1,063 Posts
the biggest difference visible in the b18c1 is that the intake manifold dips down a little bit... that is, if there's an aftermarket intake on it, you can see that instead of the IM going down, this one curves up... someone please back me up... i know someone knows what im talking about here...

· Registered
56 Posts
we know , we know

just chillin said:
looking at the intake manifold won't tell you the difference between, for example, a b16 and b18c5. like 20 people have already said, looking at the engine code is the only way you should identify an engine.
look not everyone knows where the hell the engine code is on their honda engine. w/out giving the engine a full body cavity search and just giving it a quick glance i think the easiest way to tell the difference is the intake manifold.

if your good you can tell the difference by just looking at the intake manifold. :cool:

· Registered
1,336 Posts
Re: we know , we know

LsVtecR said:

look not everyone knows where the hell the engine code is on their honda engine. w/out giving the engine a full body cavity search and just giving it a quick glance i think the easiest way to tell the difference is the intake manifold.

if your good you can tell the difference by just looking at the intake manifold. :cool:
full body cavity? its rite there next to the exhaust manifold :) pretty easy to spot imo :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.