Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The big 3

For those of you who don't know what this is, your car was designed to use wires as small as possible to get what needs to get done. when you go adding amplifiers and other electrical equiptment you need to upgrade some factory wiring to get the most power to your car and your amps. These will be the weakest link in your electrical system expecally if you are upgrading the altenator.

The goal of this mod is to free up some voltage that is lost from the small, cheap wiring. This may stop or reduce dimming and give you a little more output from the amps and all electrical systems. It is a very inexpensive mod and doesn't take much time.

I used 0 gauge wire for all 3. I suggest using 4 gauge or bigger. If you have 0 gauge running you system then use 0 gauge. If you have 4 gauge then you can use 0 gauge but it may be a little over kill, not that there is anything wrong with overkill when it comes to cars. There are other grounds you can upgrade under the hood, but these are the 3 most important.

1. Valve cover to ground- is the simplist one to do. Make sure you leave some slack so when the engine moves back when you rev, the wire doesn't rip out.
What are these things gonna do? They are so cheap.

This mod just looks good too. Well not as good as on a clean engine. I'll take a pic of my tegs when i get a chance.

2. Battery to ground

This is a stock ground In a GSR

You can't see the other end of the ground here(back terminal in this case), it goes way down there on the CRX but just follow where it goes and clean up the connection ant bolt it on.

3. Alt to battery-This is the hardest one to do and you should use a fuse on the wire the same size as your factory one. I left all the original factory wiring there and just added the wire going from the alt over to the batt.

There is the connection at the alt. There is usually a black rubber cover protecting the connection that I took of just for the picture. Other people have told me theirs is red. You can see the wire connecting to the positive (front terminal in this case)of the battery here.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
how important, I know you said the 3 important, but how important is that altentator one? because nothing looks like it has been changed in that altenator picture =(

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the altenator is where the power comes from to run everything while the car is running. So if you have a lot of stereo upgrades it would help to upgrade the wire. If you have a high output alt then it is almost a must to upgrade it because it is making almost twice the power you dont want to restrict that by using the stock wiring. In those pics i kept the stock wiring and added a piece of 0 gauge and ran it to the battery.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
I'm about to do this. The valve cover one is easy. No problems with that. This next one is probably stupid. My negative battery terminal has two wires attached to it. One goes to the ground but I can't see where the other one goes. It goes down the side of the battery but then it looks like it just disappears. I'll try and get some pictures of it tomorrow, but I can't figure out what it connects to. It's a 5th Gen Accord. I don't know if I need to upgrade this one or not, I doubt it, but I'm mainly just curious what it is. (edit: in case anyone is looking for this, i figured it out, it goes down to the transmission) acuradriva's pics it looks like only has one wire coming off the negative terminal. There's two connections on my alternator. One I'm pretty sure is ground, and the other is a 4 prong plug. I don't know what the 4 prongs are or which one I should hook the new 4 gauge wire to. I assume I don't need to put the plug back on after I put new wire there, since it wouldn't fit, so do I need to wire the other 3 prongs to whatever they go to?
These are probably dumb questions but I'm still learning and don't want to do anything wrong.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I got you up until the part with the alt. Even by leaving the original wiring there did you still put a fuse in the ) gauge or did you not have to. Also if you could post either pics of the mod to the alt after the 0 gauge, or hit us with a diagram it would be much appriciated.

acuradriva said:
3. Alt to battery-This is the hardest one to do and you should use a fuse on the wire the same size as your factory one. I left all the original factory wiring there and just added the wire going from the alt over to the batt.

There is the connection at the alt. There is usually a black rubber cover protecting the connection that I took of just for the picture. Other people have told me theirs is red. You can see the wire connecting to the positive (front terminal in this case)of the battery here.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
There are two connections at my alt...

I think this is the one I have to upgrade...at least it would be the easier one...I don't know what connections are what on the other one. Can someone confirm that its that second one that I should upgrade?

edit: and also, you say use a fuse on the alt wire the same size as your factory one...if you get a high output alt, is it going to tell you what size fuse to use? because my stock size is 100a and it wouldnt make sense to use a 100a fuse on an alt that produces 150a.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
vutech2004 said:
the upgrade from the alt to the battery, wouldnt that be bad for the stock alternator since u might be powering it more than you are suppose too?
no...the alt provides the power when the car is running. you couldnt overpower it since its what is making the power.
(the battery only powers the car while the motor isnt running)

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
so basicly you gotta go on ebay or something and get one of those fat 150Amp fuses, the kind that you use for fat @ss amps that require a 150amp fuse right? just triple checking...

i got a 5th gen accord too...just gotta go home now and figure out which wire i need to upgrade in the alternator...

·
Registered
936 Posts
Hmm, does anyone with a 4gen accord know how to do the 3rd upgrade? We add a wire going from 12V on the battery to the alt to the existing wires, and we put a fuse on it right? I cant seem to figure it out on a 4gen, 1992 honda accord lx. thanks.

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
acuradriva said:
the altenator is where the power comes from to run everything while the car is running. So if you have a lot of stereo upgrades it would help to upgrade the wire. If you have a high output alt then it is almost a must to upgrade it because it is making almost twice the power you dont want to restrict that by using the stock wiring. In those pics i kept the stock wiring and added a piece of 0 gauge and ran it to the battery.
I am slightly confused on the wording you used... You're talking about ground wires right? With the Alternator are you upgrading the positive or the ground?? And where can you find a high output alternator for integras? :)

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
djcaseanova said:
I am slightly confused on the wording you used... You're talking about ground wires right? With the Alternator are you upgrading the positive or the ground?? And where can you find a high output alternator for integras? :)
1. yes i am talking about ground wires for the battery and the valve cover to ground. The altenator has a chasis ground(no wire) it gets grounded through the engine which gets its ground through the valve cover wire and the tranny to ground.
2. The wire that runs from the alt to the battery is a power wire.
3. There is a guy named Dominick that makes them. he is on many car audio boards. I had one of his in my CRX when I used to compete. Stinger used to make one but I think they stopped producing them.

Please don't bump a sticky. Its already at the top. Thank you.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.