Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how do u take just the orange out of the tail lights on a 92 -96 lude---i saw it done on hp.com but there gone now---does anyone know how or have pics --or have the slightest clue to what im talking about ...?

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Its probably done the same way as for a 5th Gen.....I used a flat head screw driver and broke it into small enough pieces so that it falls out......

·
Registered
265 Posts
You have to heat up the entire lens assembly, pull the red main lens off, and then cut the orange out. Then you have to cut some clear plastic (such as flourescent light cover plastic) out and put it in place of the orange, If you don't put the clear plastic in, the light will be VERY bright. I didn't mention ALL of the details, but I'm sure someone else here who has actually done it could answer any questions for you.

·
Registered
191 Posts
this is how i did it

materials needed:
-philips screw driver & 8-10mm socket? i dont remember exactly (for light removal)
- marker & dremel (for tracing and cutting lense)
-flourescent light diffuser (to make lense out of)
-patience!! its not too difficult but it might take a while

1. remove tail light assembly (there are foam liner/insert type of things, take those off before you heat)
2. heat in oven (i cant give you good temp/time because i heated mine at about 225 degrees F and some of the plastic was already warping in 5 or 6 mins).
3. remove (wear oven mits or rags! it will be hot)
4. separate lense and housing.. do it firmly but be gentle.. dont want anything cracking.. might take a while to soften the epoxy.. keep heating until it gets soft enough for the lense and housing to separate
5. stick a screw driver (or something similar) through one of the bulb holes to pop out the orange/white lense; do not throw away! you will need this to trace a new lense
6. when you've traced and cut a lense out pop it in and and secure it w glue or silicon or something.. just make sure it wont be noticeable i.e. dont drip or make smudges
7. put the lense and housing back together as much as possible, then reheat to soften the epoxy back, and press housing/lense together until it seals

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
help

i did like u said it was easier than i thought---but --on one of tails i could get the red lenses cover fully back in to the black housing ---any suggestions ---i tried reheating it like 10 times ---to get the expoxy wet--but the plastic is not yet warped(not that i want it to be)

·
Registered
148 Posts
just to let u know... i have a friend who did it with his 93 lude tails... and ive done similar with civic and del sol headlights and corners....

you really dont need to put the whole thing in the oven... its much safer to jsut sit there with a blow-dryer or heat gun... after about 2 mins... the epoxy is nice and loose...

·
Registered
191 Posts
mlin81 is right.. it might be easier to just eat the sides w/ a blow dryer or heat gun.. never tried it myself though.. oven worked just fine.. just put firm pressure on the edges when the silicon's hot enough and it should pop right in; make sure everything is aligned properly and theres nothing blocking the crevices

1 - 9 of 9 Posts