Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
5,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, so when a fwd car takes off all the weight shifts away from the drive wheels... and rwd gets more weight shifted to the drive wheels and thus more traction and a better launch... so how does hp connecting to the street compare in front and rear wheel drive cars???? do you need a lot more power in fwd to get the same times as rwd? seems like you would

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
hobie237 said:
i just cant beleive that if all other things are equal...hp, weight, gear ratios, the whole bit, that a fwd car would pull like a rwd car, especially from a stop
It would not. Physics is against it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
hi. im torque (not that crappy movie) have we meet?

okay, HP isnt not going to mean shit when it comes to traction and stopped starts. Thats all in the torque. The RWD will always get better traction in the end. thats how it is. physics has spoken! :cone

·
Registered
964 Posts
torque is great until you have too much.... no that makes no sence, there can never be too much power.

·
Registered
16 Posts
crucifudge said:
dont get me wrong, not saying fwd would be better. but there are tricks you can do, suspension wise, to keep that weight up front.

unrelated to what i just said I read some article that gave the real basic physics to it....

http://www.miata.net/sport/Physics/01-Weight-Transfer.html

there ya go, just look at the weight on the front vs the rear.
You don't want a whole lot more weight up front than in the rear. That will pretty much kill any cornering ability the car has. You can put a stiffer suspension in back, but you want a near 50/50 weight distribution front to rear. My weight shifting to the back when I launch helps me get traction for a better launch, but BMW's 50/50 weight distribution is part of what gives them their legendary handling ability.

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
BMW>Honda said:
My weight shifting to the back when I launch helps me get traction for a better launch, but BMW's 50/50 weight distribution is part of what gives them their legendary handling ability.
God.... what a ******.

I hate most BMW owners for this exact reason.

·
Registered
107 Posts
hobie237 said:
this is why i try to hide the fact that i am a bmw owner....
well you must hide that fact lol look my sig :D .. this BMW WAS owned from start to finish :byye

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
greenlude80 said:
well you must hide that fact lol look my sig :D .. this BMW WAS owned from start to finish :byye
Ummm... lame sig. Maybe if it were 1/4 the size.....

·
Registered
158 Posts
yeah HP don't mean shit off the line...
probably the best quotes i've ever heard.

"Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how hard you hit it."

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
BMW>Honda said:
You don't want a whole lot more weight up front than in the rear. That will pretty much kill any cornering ability the car has. You can put a stiffer suspension in back, but you want a near 50/50 weight distribution front to rear. My weight shifting to the back when I launch helps me get traction for a better launch, but BMW's 50/50 weight distribution is part of what gives them their legendary handling ability.

:rolleyes Damn I wish I had a car thats value goes down faster than Monica.

To the thread title. There's too many things to factor in. FWD with ALWAYS be slower than RWD, it's a physics fact. you can play games like disabling the rear suspension to keep the weight transfer at a minimum, put inverted wheelies bars to try and keep as much weight as possible on the front wheels, but a properly set up RWD(same weight, same power, same tires) with a proper drag suspension(loose springs with low compression and slow rebound, preferably adjustable) will get out out of the hole MUCH quicker.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Nathan123 said:
Ummm... lame sig. Maybe if it were 1/4 the size.....

Okay Okay lets not say the BMW sucks all the time ... The race in my sig is one of three races b/w the lude and the BMW . the final reslut is (2/2) ... Here is some pic ..

Race one is on my sig and the lude won by 5 cars No need to repost pic :D

Race #2 the BMW won by 1/2 a car :wow

Race #3 .. BMW won by 3 cars :cry

Race #4 the lude won by by 4/5-3/4 car :clap

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
I'm guessing this is your greatest lifetime accomplishment.
:number1

·
Registered
107 Posts
Nathan123 said:
I'm guessing this is your greatest lifetime accomplishment.
:number1
Dude that wasn't me :D and i wish i was just for the fun of it ..

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
That's probably good. If there is a total of 8 car lengths difference in two races with the same cars, somebody can't drive for shit.

But... that's even more reason to take that out of your sig.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts